HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
My other quad uses the older Crius SE version 0.2. I thought this version 1.0 is identical except it has an I2C bus connector.

I'm using Multiwii firmware version 2.0 on that quad and found it to be extremely stable. Here's a video of my altitude hold test. Note that I was able to take my hands off the Tx. I'm quite happy with version 2.0 firmware but I wanted to experiment on GPS RTH feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-jchZDdUHk
Great.

BTW, I had to lower the althold gain on mine a bit otherwise it would oscillate up and down making a wave. We probably won't notice that if it is high up and far away though.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Get out and Fly!
United States, NC, Kernersville
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
Wow, that frame looks like it has a lot of vibration. Is everything tight?
Well, I went over everything, almost to the point of making an impression into the fiber parts, I did leave the spring landing gear semi lose so they would flex, but something I noticed was the motor mount fiber parts even over tight they flex too much IMO.

In this one you can clearly hear the vibe just after take off that annoying prop buzz sound and well ended bad with this last flight - new parts ordered and considering mounting the motors to the frame. I was happy with the dialed in code thought had a backward drift I was working on but one peace at a time...

IMG 0268 (0 min 35 sec)

I also started my own frame build, about 280g lighter than the x525 so far...
Rastor is offline Find More Posts by Rastor
Last edited by Rastor; Aug 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastor View Post
In this one you can clearly hear the vibe just after take off that annoying prop buzz sound and well ended bad with this last flight - new parts ordered and considering mounting the motors to the frame. I was happy with the dialed in code thought had a backward drift I was working on but one peace at a time...
I recognize that buzz sound. When I was testing my X525 with APC 0960 prop, it makes that sickening buzz sound. The APC props are very hard, heavy, and rigid, with no flex to the blades at all. If you are using this type of prop, you can probably see it if you tie down the quad and increase the throttle slowly. It will comes to a point where the motor/prop assembly starts to vibrate violently on the motor mount. The motor mount plate, although seemingly secured tightly on the aluminum arm, actually flexes at certain speeds. When I tested with props that has some flex on the blades, the buzz went away completely.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpilot1 View Post
Looks go where is it forsale?
Hello folks,
I bought my Crius Multiwii SE (Ver 0.2) from wtotoy.com for $56.69. I made the purchase through maidinchina.com because they have a dispute facility (similar to PayPal) and also uses PayPal for payment.

It was just as well because my Crius board had one of the 4 large, yellow tantalum capacitors missing (I think it must have been knocked off as there was evidence of soldering) which are near to the direction arrow.

Wtotoy replaced the damaged board with a ZMR version of the board which appears to be identical except for differently branded electronic components. The Tantalums on the ZMR board are 10uF, 16V (C106). I still have the original Crius board and would like to attempt to repair it. Can anyone, with far better eyesight than myself, identify the 4 (yellow) capacitors on the Crius board for me?

Thanks in advance
Pader is offline Find More Posts by Pader
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pader View Post
Hello folks,
I bought my Crius Multiwii SE (Ver 0.2) from wtotoy.com for $56.69. I made the purchase through maidinchina.com because they have a dispute facility (similar to PayPal) and also uses PayPal for payment.

It was just as well because my Crius board had one of the 4 large, yellow tantalum capacitors missing (I think it must have been knocked off as there was evidence of soldering) which are near to the direction arrow.

Wtotoy replaced the damaged board with a ZMR version of the board which appears to be identical except for differently branded electronic components. The Tantalums on the ZMR board are 10uF, 16V (C106). I still have the original Crius board and would like to attempt to repair it. Can anyone, with far better eyesight than myself, identify the 4 (yellow) capacitors on the Crius board for me?

Thanks in advance
They are also 10uF. If you don't have easy access to smd caps, you can just solder a through-hole tant and it'll be fine.
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
They are also 10uF. If you don't have easy access to smd caps, you can just solder a through-hole tant and it'll be fine.
Thank you very much TS00. I thought that they might be and have already found that I can get them on Ebay at 1.50 for a pack of 10 which is very reasonable.
Pader is offline Find More Posts by Pader
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:54 AM
Get out and Fly!
United States, NC, Kernersville
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
I recognize that buzz sound. When I was testing my X525 with APC 0960 prop, it makes that sickening buzz sound. The APC props are very hard, heavy, and rigid, with no flex to the blades at all. If you are using this type of prop, you can probably see it if you tie down the quad and increase the throttle slowly. It will comes to a point where the motor/prop assembly starts to vibrate violently on the motor mount. The motor mount plate, although seemingly secured tightly on the aluminum arm, actually flexes at certain speeds. When I tested with props that has some flex on the blades, the buzz went away completely.
Thanks, looking to try these next bit cheaper than the one that came with; http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=
Rastor is offline Find More Posts by Rastor
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined May 2010
167 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, looking to try these next bit cheaper than the one that came with; http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=
I use those on mine and find they work quite well. They do need a bit of tape to balance them out.

Guy
crash_1958 is offline Find More Posts by crash_1958
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
I also used these props (mine is the orange color version). They're OK but now I use the fiber reforced version now on my home brew quad. I experienced a mid air prop failure awhile back and others on this forum have also reported such failure.

Here's a video of my mid air prop failure. You should be able to hear a gun-shot-like pop before the quad fall out of the air. The pop sound was caused by the failed blade hitting against the tool shad.

QuadCopter Crash - Propeller Failed in Mid Air (0 min 47 sec)
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
298 Posts
Hey folks, just thought I'd check in, not sure if anyone remembers, but I was trying to get a mwc to hook up to the computer about a month ago. I finally made the determination that the ftdi board was the issue due to the fact that every other device I have seems to work fine, so I IM'ed Goodluckbuy explained my situation, they said they would send a new ftdi. 2 weeks later it showed up, got to work on it late that evening, it loaded itself imediately (
most likely because I loaded the drivers about 15 times trying to figure out the other ftdi) Pulled out the Naza, installed the mwc, set up the mid and end points. Had maiden hover that evening, I knew i wasn't nuts. Did some final installation today including using an old blown esc as a power supply for the receiver and board since my esc's have no becs(removed heavy wires and cap, and re-wired) Spent today dialing in the pids and getting used to the new flight characteristics. Not too bad only took a couple hours start to finish, goes smoothly when everything is functional. Once again thanks all for the help and support I'll continue to look on this thread with interest.
Gregco10 is offline Find More Posts by Gregco10
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Hi Guys ok so i have this board and i have brought the CRIUS Bluetooth module
I have installed all the drivers in my laptop setup the comports @115200 baud when i go into the GUI I click on the com port the red light on the bluetooth module stops flashing and goes solid but when i try to read noting happens
can someone give me some help
Cheers
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:13 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregco10 View Post
Hey folks, just thought I'd check in, not sure if anyone remembers, but I was trying to get a mwc to hook up to the computer about a month ago. I finally made the determination that the ftdi board was the issue due to the fact that every other device I have seems to work fine, so I IM'ed Goodluckbuy explained my situation, they said they would send a new ftdi. 2 weeks later it showed up, got to work on it late that evening, it loaded itself imediately (
most likely because I loaded the drivers about 15 times trying to figure out the other ftdi) Pulled out the Naza, installed the mwc, set up the mid and end points. Had maiden hover that evening, I knew i wasn't nuts. Did some final installation today including using an old blown esc as a power supply for the receiver and board since my esc's have no becs(removed heavy wires and cap, and re-wired) Spent today dialing in the pids and getting used to the new flight characteristics. Not too bad only took a couple hours start to finish, goes smoothly when everything is functional. Once again thanks all for the help and support I'll continue to look on this thread with interest.
Really glad you got it working in the end!
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:13 AM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmad View Post
Hi Guys ok so i have this board and i have brought the CRIUS Bluetooth module
I have installed all the drivers in my laptop setup the comports @115200 baud when i go into the GUI I click on the com port the red light on the bluetooth module stops flashing and goes solid but when i try to read noting happens
can someone give me some help
Cheers
If you are still connected to the f/c by usb com port, you will not be able to connect via BT.
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx-0 View Post
If you are still connected to the f/c by usb com port, you will not be able to connect via BT.
This board dont have usb, thats why i'm trying to usetheBluetooth module
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
621 Posts
Ok, I am not familiar with your board but I am familiar with bt stuff.
Either way, you cannot be connected via the com port to the board and connect via bt at the same time.
To clarify, you can POWER the board via a connection to the pc but you cannot CONNECT to the board via pc and bt at the same time.
Did you configure the bt board to operate at 115200?
Did you give the bt board a name?
What device does windows report as connecting to?
It should be the same device name.
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0