Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
member of TheBlindHawks
Joined Feb 2011
183 Posts
Thank you TS00, integrated your comments in the graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
That's correct, with the following provisos:

The pin labelled D2 is the throttle. It's just convenient to use a 3 pin lead to connect all 3 pins to the Rx in one go.

Aux2 - this can be D8 or D12, you set that in config.h.

D5 and D6 can be motors 5 and 6, but only if you are using PPM Sum. Note that these pins are physically connected to the pins labelled D5 and D6 in the left hand row of pins.

If you are using separate Rx channels, and you are building a hexa, you will need to use A0 and A1 for motors 5 and 6, enabling this in config.h (by enabling #define A0_A1_PIN_HEX)

A6 and A7 are not currently used AFAIK
careyer is offline Find More Posts by careyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyer View Post
Thank you TS00, integrated your comments in the graphics
You're welcome, looks great
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulkar View Post
So I tried to change all my escs (Turnigy plush 30A) timing mode to High, and with that the quad won't even take off, it just backflips immediately, whatever pids I put in, I'll try medium tomorrow
It is not the timing.

In config.h:

/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed */
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1300 // for Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1064 // special ESC (simonk)
#define MINTHROTTLE 1150

Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A may need as high as 1300 (1.30 ms)... The default is only 1150.

I need over 1200 on one set (15A SS) to keep them running consistently. The other set (10A red brick) may decelerate while throttling up with default MINTHROTTLE.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
243 Posts
I know it's not the same thing but someone advised me to try changing the timing and as I haven't received my new ftdi yet I tried that.

Can the problem you state be caused by a too high minthrottle aswell? I think mine is already set at 1300

I find weird that just changing the timing with the config card made the quad completely unflyiable though
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Can the problem you state be caused by a too high minthrottle aswell? I think mine is already set at 1300
No, having it at 1300 won't cause that kind of problem.

Quote:
I find weird that just changing the timing with the config card made the quad completely unflyiable though
This is because timing is a really big deal - it controls the point in the rotation at which the ESC applies power to each pole. Setting the timing to high means that the ESC ends up powering up each pole far too early, which reduces motor power a lot and wrecks ESC response.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastor View Post
Thanks guys,

Yeah on the foam planes, not to bad of a deal...

But yeah on this thing I can def. see the safety aspects and more poseable wobble.

Ill stick with spinners just need to find a match set now.

You can see the vibe at the 30sec mark with the spinner that does not match the others. Watch the foot/landing gear closest to the cam.

http://youtu.be/LPh51Af5a4c

Around 60% power it vibrates out of control.

So close....
I struggled with the exact problem. Those motors look similar to the Emax CF that I was using and so do the prop adapters. The adapters are 50% of the time not machined well and the props need to be balanced with a magnetic balancer. You have to balance the blades on the prop and the prop hub using fuzzy side of velcro and CA. Balance blades by sanding material from the back of the heavier blade. I ordered a set of NTM prop series motors with prop adapter from HK and diligently balanced the props and it made a world of difference. Bottom line, the less vibration the better. Vibration problems can sometimes seem like a ghost in the machine.
The mounts on the bottom of the motors your using aren't very rigid and I think it allows to much flexing if the props aren't balanced well. Also, if the center hole of the prop isn't perfectly concentric with the motors shaft then you will never be able to balance the prop/motor combination (Chinese prop adapters made on old machinery). Just my 2 cents, but the NTM motors, are pretty smooth.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:57 PM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
No, having it at 1300 won't cause that kind of problem.
Okay, then would it be a good idea to increase this number again to solve my issue

Quote:
This is because timing is a really big deal - it controls the point in the rotation at which the ESC applies power to each pole. Setting the timing to high means that the ESC ends up powering up each pole far too early, which reduces motor power a lot and wrecks ESC response.
I'll try to put them on medium, as multiwii's website tells to put it on medium or high, and high doesn't work for me
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Nov 2011
66 Posts
multi wi WMC board

I am kind of new to rcgroups, and new to the MINI FLY QUADCOPTER from xheli.com. i am having one heck of a time trying to get this set up to fly! Talked to the Tech (after 1/2hr. wait on phone), and he didn't really know anything about setting up the multiwi WMC board..I fumbled though some of the tutorials online, and got it working. My question is, when i arm it, the motors go to about 1/4 throtle! The Tech said that was "normal"...Is it? seems kind of dangerous that the motors should come on wiith the throttle all the way down.
Can anybody help out? Thanks, Paul
paulfromphoenix is offline Find More Posts by paulfromphoenix
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
I'll try to put them on medium, as multiwii's website tells to put it on medium or high, and high doesn't work for me
Medium timing works very well for 'average' kv motors on 'medium' size quads
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:04 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromphoenix View Post
I am kind of new to rcgroups, and new to the MINI FLY QUADCOPTER from xheli.com. i am having one heck of a time trying to get this set up to fly! Talked to the Tech (after 1/2hr. wait on phone), and he didn't really know anything about setting up the multiwi WMC board..I fumbled though some of the tutorials online, and got it working. My question is, when i arm it, the motors go to about 1/4 throtle! The Tech said that was "normal"...Is it? seems kind of dangerous that the motors should come on wiith the throttle all the way down.
Can anybody help out? Thanks, Paul
It is 'normal', but it isn't very nice, and there are several ways to stop it.

The best way is using the feature #define MOTOR_STOP. This needs to be uncommented in config.h.

Another option it to change #define MINTHROTTLE to a value low enough that the motors don't spin. This may cause instability when recovering from hard manoeuvres, and if it does you need to use MOTOR_STOP instead.

But to achieve this, you will need to compile and upload a new version of the multiwii software to your board. Do you know how to do this?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Nov 2011
66 Posts
TSOO, thanks for the reply... I think I can do the first part you mentioned. I guess I can see, where it may cause instability, if the motors are off.....Thanks soo much for the info! Paul
paulfromphoenix is offline Find More Posts by paulfromphoenix
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
My problem is that I don't get enough power to lift off. Using 850kv motors, Turnigy 18A plush ESC, and I have tried 0947, 1047, and 1147 props. Frame is X525. Without props connected, each motor can rev up to 10,000+rpm. With props connected, rpm drops to half of that speed.

I have a similar setup with a home brew quad except I am using Crius SE 0.2 version and Turnigy 25A ESCs. It flies quite well.

Any ideas?
A little bit of progress. I tested each ESC/motor/prop separately by plugging the ESC directly to the receiver and confirmed each one has more than adequate power to lift off. So the problem is now isolated to the Crius SE 1.0 board.

I've reviewed the config.h file but unable to spot anything obvious. Based on the symptoms (lack of power), Which section in config.h should I concentrate on?
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:24 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromphoenix View Post
TSOO, thanks for the reply... I think I can do the first part you mentioned. I guess I can see, where it may cause instability, if the motors are off.....Thanks soo much for the info! Paul
Good luck, and post back your results.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:26 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
A little bit of progress. I tested each ESC/motor/prop separately by plugging the ESC directly to the receiver and confirmed each one has more than adequate power to lift off. So the problem is now isolated to the Crius SE 1.0 board.

I've reviewed the config.h file but unable to spot anything obvious. Based on the symptoms (lack of power), Which section in config.h should I concentrate on?
Is there much vibration in your frame? Is everything nice and tight?

How is the multiwii board mounted to the frame?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Is there much vibration in your frame? Is everything nice and tight?

How is the multiwii board mounted to the frame?
No excessive vibrations - all props are balanced. Motors are not. Everything is nice and tight no loose wires/tie wraps. Here's a picture:

The Crius SE1.0 board is suspended by rubber bands to four posts at each corner. The board is not touching the frame directly as shown in the following pics:

It's the same mounting method I use in my other home brew quad.

If I'm not getting anywhere, my next test would be to replace the Crius board with my old KK board to verify there's no funny interaction among the ESCs/motors/power wiring.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1