SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:05 AM
sri lanka
Joined Nov 2010
67 Posts
indoor fly with MultiWii SE Standard Multicopter flight control board
ACC & mag on
i active 20Hz LPF also i increased the roll and pitch D to 100
even with my $6 cheap ESCs it flies well.

quadcopter indoor fly with MultiWii SE Standard Multicopter flight control board (1 min 33 sec)
madushan2008 is offline Find More Posts by madushan2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:47 PM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Aug 2009
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
That shaft is bad news, and will cause you trouble. I cut my motor shafts so that the prop adaptor is sitting on the motor bell. Dremel takes seconds to cut a shaft. Just make sure you protect the motor, otherwise you'll fill it up with steel dust.

The way I do it is with a cardboard box. I poke the shaft through the box wall, with the motor on the inside taped to the wall. I then dremel the shaft outside the box.
Ok, i will cut it.
But probably i will use a simpler cover tecnique, duct tape
Will post again with news.
Spark29 is offline Find More Posts by Spark29
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
I wrote a quick and dirty guide to help beginner's before they tackle the newbie's guide. Coming from the car side of RC, I had no idea what an aileron or elevator was (aren't they in buildings??) so I wrote this up to help me remember--this is very particular for those ordering the kit from goodluckbuy and who are using a stock turnigy 9X radio in mode 2. Feedback is welcome so long as its constructive.

Remember this is to supplement, not replace, the guide at the beginning so you'll need both if you are new to the whole quadcopter thing.

One thing I did wrong was calibrate the esc's to channel 2 (again thinking cars). On start up and in the GUI it would look like it was working but the motors would pulse but never enough to life and it was random--Couldn't figure it out until i pulled all my wires, recalibrated on channel 3 and hooked it all back up--worked fine--until my esc blew up GGRRRRR
menace69 is offline Find More Posts by menace69
Last edited by menace69; Jul 18, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
@Spark & @MuddyWulf

Go back to basics. Check that your motors are connected to the right outputs, that they spin the right way, and that they have the right props. Check that your board is positioned on the frame pointing the right way. Calibrate the ESC range.

If you do all this, your machine will fly, I promise.
TS00, thanks so much for the help. You have been the most helpful so far. You gave a little information but it provided much motivation. I went over everything again.
The board was mounted in "+" fashion rather than "x". That corrected pitch/roll issue.
I flashed the the board and began from scratch.
Calibrated throttle range for individual ESC's.
set all ranges to 1000-1500-2000
calibrated acc & mag.
The only problem I am now having is getting the quad to lift. The quad is very light on power up and wants to lift but at full throttle it just doesn't. I have checked motor revolution and ensured that props are mounted correctly. Almost there!!! YAY!! Any suggestions on the low throttle output? One other thing I have noticed is that "debug 1" at the bottom of the gui has numbers that change with the "alt" box (left side of the multiwii gui). The gray line on sensor display is always up and down not straight. Is that right? Thanks again for being a huge help.
MuddyWulf is offline Find More Posts by MuddyWulf
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
@menace69 Good beginners guide, especially for those using a 9x.

Re. Aux2 - this is just a single line in config.h. You need to uncomment it like this:

#define RCAUXPIN8

To make pin 8 AUX2, or uncomment the one below it

#define RCAUXPIN12

To make pin 12 AUX2. Don't uncomment them both; one or the other.

As for the battery/no battery issue, it depends. If you are just working with the multiwii board, with no ESCs plugged into it, it will draw its power from the FTDI adaptor just fine, so no battery is required.

But if you have ESCs plugged into the board, you will in most cases need to have the battery connected. This is because with no battery, each ESC draws a little bit of power from the board. Since the USB port will only supply 0.5A, the board supply voltage will dip too low. This is a bit variable, because different ESCs draw different amounts of current, and different USB ports supply slightly more/less current. But there should never be a situation where doing this damages the board, unless it is hooked up incorrectly.
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWulf View Post
TS00, thanks so much for the help. You have been the most helpful so far. You gave a little information but it provided much motivation. I went over everything again.
The board was mounted in "+" fashion rather than "x". That corrected pitch/roll issue.
calibrated acc & mag.
The only problem I am now having is getting the quad to lift. The quad is very light on power up and wants to lift but at full throttle it just doesn't. I have checked motor revolution and ensured that props are mounted correctly. Almost there!!! YAY!! Any suggestions on the low throttle output? One other thing I have noticed is that "debug 1" at the bottom of the gui has numbers that change with the "alt" box (left side of the multiwii gui). The gray line on sensor display is always up and down not straight. Is that right? Thanks again for being a huge help.
Glad to hear you're making progress. Can you provide a bit more info on the problem?

When you throttle up, do all the motors start revving as you would expect?

The gray line - can you post a screenshot of your gui?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Glad to hear you're making progress. Can you provide a bit more info on the problem?

When you throttle up, do all the motors start revving as you would expect?

The gray line - can you post a screenshot of your gui?
All motors throttle up evenly. It just does not appear to be enough power to lift off. I will give screen shot when I get home. Got to get my fix and do some FPV first.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:30 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
All motors throttle up evenly. It just does not appear to be enough power to lift off. I will give screen shot when I get home. Got to get my fix and do some FPV first.
Ok, can you also post more details about your machine, like weight, ESCs, battery, motors, props please? Makes it much easier to understand what's going on.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Ok, can you also post more details about your machine, like weight, ESCs, battery, motors, props please? Makes it much easier to understand what's going on.
HJ450 Flame wheel
Hobbywing 30a ESC
SunnySky X Series Brushless Outrunner Motors X2212 KV980
1045 props
2200 mah 30c battery from GLB.
Futaba 9chp TX
Hitec electron 6 RX
Also tried 4400mah blue sky. Same results as 2200mah.

I have not weighed the quad so I cannot give a weight as of yet.
I have provided a link for the quad's info, bought as combo.
http://www.bambucopter.com/hj450-mul...dcopter-frame/

Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
621 Posts
Sounds very similar to my setup. It should fly fine
You may not have enough throttle range.
In multiwii, what numbers does full throttle return for you. I set my max throttle to 1950.
Phalanx-0 is online now Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
HJ450 Flame wheel
Hobbywing 30a ESC
SunnySky X Series Brushless Outrunner Motors X2212 KV980
1045 props
2200 mah 30c battery from GLB.
Futaba 9chp TX
Hitec electron 6 RX
Also tried 4400mah blue sky. Same results as 2200mah.

I have not weighed the quad so I cannot give a weight as of yet.
I have provided a link for the quad's info, bought as combo.
http://www.bambucopter.com/hj450-mul...dcopter-frame/

Thanks.
That'll definitely fly.

When you get a chance, post a gui screenshot. Also, you say that the motors spin up but it doesn't take off - is that at 100% throttle? You're pushing the stick all the way, and it just sits there on the ground?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Feb 2010
208 Posts
Sorry if this has been already answered but does anyone know how to solder the ic2 GPS to the se v0.2 board
MIDNCOCO is offline Find More Posts by MIDNCOCO
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2012
27 Posts
Woohoo! I finally got my quad up and flying. I have had endless frustration with this thing but it finally works. The secret for me was to use three blade props. They are soooo much more stable and the motors and esc's run soooo much cooler. If any other noob is having stability issues with two blade props, try three blades. It made a massive difference for me.
needforspeed95 is offline Find More Posts by needforspeed95
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
What blades did you go with and what's your motor and esc combo?
menace69 is offline Find More Posts by menace69
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, SC, Ridge Spring
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
calibrated acc & mag.
Are you absolutely sure that you have the right props on the right motors and that they right side up?
Boykintom is offline Find More Posts by Boykintom