HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:54 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2008
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
I think it's useful to separate the issues, the multiwii is one thing, the FTDI adaptor is another.

I'm not sure whether Windows would ding without a driver being installed. But it should tell you that a new device has been plugged in, and tell you that a driver needs to be installed. Does this happen? Try it with just the FTDI adaptor, put the multiwii away for now.

BTW, why do you think the multiwii wants to use com3? You can set which port it uses, that isn't a problem.
Multiwii will want port 3 because it is the only port that is sees installed.
When your ftdi adapter is working correctly, it will create a different port and that port will be available when you open up the multiwii software.
It does not want port3, port3 is the only port that is imstalled, therefore it is the only one available.
Hope this helps.
dowlinger is offline Find More Posts by dowlinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlinger View Post
Multiwii will want port 3 because it is the only port that is sees installed.
When your ftdi adapter is working correctly, it will create a different port and that port will be available when you open up the multiwii software.
It does not want port3, port3 is the only port that is imstalled, therefore it is the only one available.
Hope this helps.
Correct.
Are there any lights on the FTDI adapter?
Do they light up when plugged into the computer?
Does windows have any unrecognized devices?
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
Yes to lights on the ftdi, red and green, both on when connected via usb. No unrecgonized devices that I can see, I am in the device manager, please tell me if there is somewhere else to look, I plug it in and there is no change in the device manager. Ok so the com issue and driver issue are secondary to getting the computer to see it in the first place. Still at work so later ill try just the ftdi by itself, who knows maybe it has to be hooked up in sequence.
Gregco10 is offline Find More Posts by Gregco10
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hulk likes flying things
Joined May 2008
616 Posts
No sequence necessary.
Please post a screen shot of your device manager window.
Please post a link or picture of your exact FTDI programmer.
It would be very unusual that windows doesn't see the FTDI if it is getting voltage to light the leds.
Is there a different usb cable that you can use?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Aug 2009
61 Posts
Hi all,
im writing in search of help.
I recently build a multiwii quad, with the crius MWC SE board. Im using this combo from rc timer:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...8&productname=
Uploaded the V2.0 to the board, but cant make it work properly. The motors are not synchronized. When i start the motors, they all have the same speed, but when i increase the throttle, the rear left and front right motors starts normally, however, the speed of the rear right and front left only increase about half throttle stick.
I can write here my multiwii config.h. just help me with the best way to do it, and what info is the most important.
Spark29 is offline Find More Posts by Spark29
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:33 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Why happens when you increase throttle to take off?

Do you have ACC on or off?
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark29 View Post
Hi all,
When i start the motors, they all have the same speed, but when i increase the throttle, the rear left and front right motors starts normally, however, the speed of the rear right and front left only increase about half throttle stick.
Are yaw, pitch and roll values in the gui at 1500 without stick input? Calibrate gyro before you start. First try with ACC off...
pm1 is offline Find More Posts by pm1
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2008
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregco10 View Post
Yes to lights on the ftdi, red and green, both on when connected via usb. No unrecgonized devices that I can see, I am in the device manager, please tell me if there is somewhere else to look, I plug it in and there is no change in the device manager. Ok so the com issue and driver issue are secondary to getting the computer to see it in the first place. Still at work so later ill try just the ftdi by itself, who knows maybe it has to be hooked up in sequence.
Cheap and cheerful first test.
Take ftdi to another machine and plug it in.
Does it see the adapter, and does it add an additional com port as expected.
If it work as expected problem with computer, if not, problem with ftdi
Have you ever had "avr studio" installed? I have seen that create massive havoc with coms and usb drivers
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2008
455 Posts
Have you calibrated your esc's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark29 View Post
Hi all,
im writing in search of help.
I recently build a multiwii quad, with the crius MWC SE board. Im using this combo from rc timer:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...8&productname=
Uploaded the V2.0 to the board, but cant make it work properly. The motors are not synchronized. When i start the motors, they all have the same speed, but when i increase the throttle, the rear left and front right motors starts normally, however, the speed of the rear right and front left only increase about half throttle stick.
I can write here my multiwii config.h. just help me with the best way to do it, and what info is the most important.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hulk likes flying things
Joined May 2008
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlinger View Post
Have you ever had "avr studio" installed? I have seen that create massive havoc with coms and usb drivers
Your mileage may vary.
I have version 4 installed and all the programmers and junk I use on this garbage works fine.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2008
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx-0 View Post
Your mileage may vary.
I have version 4 installed and all the programmers and junk I use on this garbage works fine.
Avr studio installs a different usb driver that sometimes conflicts with the ftdi driver, and if that is the issue that you have it was a nitemare for me that eventually crashed my machine while trying to resolve it.
I am going to assume that you also have an original amtel programmer v2. ( how did i know you ask?)
When you plug that in, have ur device manager open and you will see the driver that it installs. It is a usb driver but does not use a com port to communicate, it communicates directly.
Your ftdi is trying to use this driver but because this does not use a com port, your multiwii can not communicate with it.
A serious pain in the ass if i am right.( for me it was anyway) and i could not find no one who could/would help me with it.
If this is your issue pm me, i will try to help
Paul
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Aug 2009
61 Posts
Yes, i had calibrated the ESCs, try to calibrate all of them togheter, individually, didnt make any diference. By calibrating, i mean set the range.
I believe ACC is on, not sure. Whats the diference?
Spark29 is offline Find More Posts by Spark29
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
No new device appears on either computer, and Avr isn't installed on either. Going to try to post a few pics and screen shots. Starting to lean towards a bad ftdi.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hulk likes flying things
Joined May 2008
616 Posts
@ Gregco
Did your device come with any drivers?
Have you tried loading generic drivers for FTDI?
Windows 7? Is it 32 or 64 bit?
Go here to get drivers,
I suggest VCP drivers(virtual com port)
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
Name: 2012-07-15 20.37.32.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 122.2 KB
Description: Back of controler

Name: 2012-07-15 20.38.07.jpg
Views: 156
Size: 130.9 KB
Description: Front

Never posted pics before see if this works I'll work on video in a minute.