SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:23 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Jul 2006
113 Posts
Discussion
RVOSDv5 or FY31AP with Hornet OSD?

I am just about ready to commit to a system. I like both of these systems but can't decide between the 2. I already use the FY30A and it is a great product.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either?

Mike.
miksterr is online now Find More Posts by miksterr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:57 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
if you can find stock of the RV ? it seems to be sold out ?
Blackrat is online now Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr View Post
I am just about ready to commit to a system. I like both of these systems but can't decide between the 2. I already use the FY30A and it is a great product.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either?

Mike.
I am using 31AP now. Trust me its TOTALLY worth it. RVOSD is also good but a little complicated to program. FY31AP is the simplest UAV navigation system. Buy with closed eyes.
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers
Old Dec 09, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2006
216 Posts
I agree that FY31AP is easier to set up... however, here are some advantages that the RVOSD 5 has over it. I don't have as much experience with RVOSD 5, so if I make any errors, feel free to correct me:

1. FY31AP and Hornet OSD are two separate modules with a wire running between the two, so instead of having to install one device in your plane (RVOSD 5), you have two separate (albeit small) boxes.

2. It requires three free channels on your radio to control all of the flight modes and OSD display modes on the FY31AP, versus only one channel for the RVOSD 5. There are two disadvantages to this:
A. With the FY31AP w/Hornet OSD, you will have two cables running from your receiver to the FY31AP box (for auto-pilot mode, and for stabilization mode), and another running from the receiver to the Hornet OSD (for display modes). You will also have a cable running from the FY31AP to the Hornet OSD, as they need to share data too. As far as I know, only one cable runs from your receiver to the RVOSD 5 to control all flight modes and display modes.
B. You will use up seven channels on your receiver with FY31AP (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, auto-pilot mode, stabilization mode, OSD display mode). If you only have 8 channels on your radio, then you may give up something else you want to use (the tilt portion of your pan/tilt, or maybe a video switcher). For RVOSD 5, you will only use 5 channels (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, and flight & display modes). With the same 8-channel receiver, you will still have 3 channels available to run other things.

3. If you have a receiver that has PPM output (like my DragonLink, for example), then you can have one cable running from the receiver to the RVOSD 5 to control all channels. For instance, my 5 channels (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, and flight mode selector) are controlled by only one cable running from my receiver to the RVOSD 5. For the FY31AP, you would have to run seven separate cables to do the same thing.

4. RVOSD has on-screen warnings for low flight angle, battery used, distance traveled, altitude too high, etc that are user-defined. These do make a more complicated setup, but I think these things can be valuable.

5. RVOSD 5 has user selectable units (metric vs. imperial). I believe the FY31AP/Hornet OSD still has only metric (someone correct me if I'm wrong here!).

6. RVOSD 5 has RSSI input. So if your receiver has the ability of outputting signal strength from your radio, RVOSD 5 will display it for you. Hornet OSD still does not have this. This could be valuable to know if you are on the fringes of available range from your radio.

7. RVOSD seems to do their best to make their hardware upgradeable (for instance, RVOSD 4 is upgradeable to RVOSD 5 with an add-on PCA).

One advantage that the FY31AP w/Hornet OSD has over the RVOSD 5, is that you can record your data on a microSD card, which I think is pretty cool. RVOSD 5 is supposed to have some on-ground software as future development for this, so it may be available for both soon.

Having pointed all of these out, I have to say that I currently fly with the FY21AP and enjoy it tremendously. It still has a ton of valuable information on it, and I am seriously thinking of picking up the FY31AP w/Hornet OSD. However, I have a new RVOSD 5 that I have been playing with on a ground setup, and I'm pretty blown-away by all of the features and options built in. As aeromodellers has mentioned, RVOSD 5 may be more difficult to set up (it comes with a remote control and has 4 pages full of options to review and set-up), but I think it is because it has so many built-in user configurable features.

So, I hope I have given you valuable information to help you make your decision.

Regards,
Tux
ptuxbury is offline Find More Posts by ptuxbury
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuxbury View Post
I agree that FY31AP is easier to set up... however, here are some advantages that the RVOSD 5 has over it. I don't have as much experience with RVOSD 5, so if I make any errors, feel free to correct me:

1. FY31AP and Hornet OSD are two separate modules with a wire running between the two, so instead of having to install one device in your plane (RVOSD 5), you have two separate (albeit small) boxes.

2. It requires three free channels on your radio to control all of the flight modes and OSD display modes on the FY31AP, versus only one channel for the RVOSD 5. There are two disadvantages to this:
A. With the FY31AP w/Hornet OSD, you will have two cables running from your receiver to the FY31AP box (for auto-pilot mode, and for stabilization mode), and another running from the receiver to the Hornet OSD (for display modes). You will also have a cable running from the FY31AP to the Hornet OSD, as they need to share data too. As far as I know, only one cable runs from your receiver to the RVOSD 5 to control all flight modes and display modes.
B. You will use up seven channels on your receiver with FY31AP (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, auto-pilot mode, stabilization mode, OSD display mode). If you only have 8 channels on your radio, then you may give up something else you want to use (the tilt portion of your pan/tilt, or maybe a video switcher). For RVOSD 5, you will only use 5 channels (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, and flight & display modes). With the same 8-channel receiver, you will still have 3 channels available to run other things.

3. If you have a receiver that has PPM output (like my DragonLink, for example), then you can have one cable running from the receiver to the RVOSD 5 to control all channels. For instance, my 5 channels (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, and flight mode selector) are controlled by only one cable running from my receiver to the RVOSD 5. For the FY31AP, you would have to run seven separate cables to do the same thing.

4. RVOSD has on-screen warnings for low flight angle, battery used, distance traveled, altitude too high, etc that are user-defined. These do make a more complicated setup, but I think these things can be valuable.

5. RVOSD 5 has user selectable units (metric vs. imperial). I believe the FY31AP/Hornet OSD still has only metric (someone correct me if I'm wrong here!).

6. RVOSD 5 has RSSI input. So if your receiver has the ability of outputting signal strength from your radio, RVOSD 5 will display it for you. Hornet OSD still does not have this. This could be valuable to know if you are on the fringes of available range from your radio.

7. RVOSD seems to do their best to make their hardware upgradeable (for instance, RVOSD 4 is upgradeable to RVOSD 5 with an add-on PCA).

One advantage that the FY31AP w/Hornet OSD has over the RVOSD 5, is that you can record your data on a microSD card, which I think is pretty cool. RVOSD 5 is supposed to have some on-ground software as future development for this, so it may be available for both soon.

Having pointed all of these out, I have to say that I currently fly with the FY21AP and enjoy it tremendously. It still has a ton of valuable information on it, and I am seriously thinking of picking up the FY31AP w/Hornet OSD. However, I have a new RVOSD 5 that I have been playing with on a ground setup, and I'm pretty blown-away by all of the features and options built in. As aeromodellers has mentioned, RVOSD 5 may be more difficult to set up (it comes with a remote control and has 4 pages full of options to review and set-up), but I think it is because it has so many built-in user configurable features.

So, I hope I have given you valuable information to help you make your decision.

Regards,
Tux
Completely agree with your view... Thanks a lot for your explanation.
I believe RVOSD does not have a Stabalizer system. I read somehwere that you need to install a stabalizer system like FY20A. I was just wondering why to install 2 systems when 31AP can do both. However, I do agree that RVOSD is a little less cumbersome compared to the wiring.
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:02 AM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
ptuxbury, very good review about these two system, RVOSD 5 is also cheaper than FY31AP + OSD, only thing I want to find out is how is RVOSD 5's IMU unit performs?
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:36 AM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
but fy31 ap has not FAF (fixed altitude) function. Fy21ap has it. Which difference with new 31ap in flight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodellers View Post
I am using 31AP now. Trust me its TOTALLY worth it. RVOSD is also good but a little complicated to program. FY31AP is the simplest UAV navigation system. Buy with closed eyes.
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:57 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
I think STABILIZED MODE is the same as FAF MODE on FY21AP.
Ail + Elv + Rudder

Mode 2: Stabilized mode. In this mode and your transmitter control sticks at center, the
FY31AP will continuously send out controlling signal (aileron, elevator, rudder) to ensure the
aircraft maintains a stabilized, horizontal flight and constant flight direction. In this mode
FY-31AP will not allow acrobatic flights
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:25 AM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
i don't think so
stabilized mode is the same for both fy21 and fy31. FAF funct. is very useful in the fy21 since the plane always flights at fixed altitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
I think STABILIZED MODE is the same as FAF MODE on FY21AP.
Ail + Elv + Rudder

Mode 2: Stabilized mode. In this mode and your transmitter control sticks at center, the
FY31AP will continuously send out controlling signal (aileron, elevator, rudder) to ensure the
aircraft maintains a stabilized, horizontal flight and constant flight direction. In this mode
FY-31AP will not allow acrobatic flights
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:28 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brifa View Post
i don't think so
stabilized mode is the same for both fy21 and fy31. FAF funct. is very useful in the fy21 since the plane always flights at fixed altitude.
In the manual it says in Stabilized mode it uses ail + elv + rudder ... so I think since using elevator its fixed altitude.

However , im not sure if it has ABM (wing stabilized without fixed altitude).
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2006
216 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm back. Just some extra input:

1. piccoloflyer said that RVOSD 5 is cheaper than FY-31AP w/Hornet OSD. This is not true. I've seen the FY-31AP w/Hornet OSD sold somewhere for $288, and with a 5% off coupon it comes down to $274. International registered airmail was only $9 too, so the system delivered is $283. RVOSD 5 is $299 plus $10, shipping, so the FY-31AP w/Hornet OSD can actually be found for $27 less. Also, for firmware upgrades for the RVOSD 5, you need to buy the PICkit from RangeVideo for another $35. The FY-31AP upgrade is done via USB, so factoring that in, you will actually be paying $62 more for RVOSD 5.

2. Aeromodellers was unsure if the RVOSD 5 comes with the flight stabilization built in. As of version 5, an IMU board is built into the assembly, so it does have stabilization now without an add-on module or IR sensors.

So, let's review the autopilot modes of each system.

Range Video:
According to their website, they have the following auto pilot modes:
Return home - self explanatory
Level flight - Holds plane with wings level at current altitude
Heading hold - Similar to level flight, but it will keep a constant heading
Position hold - Stays in one area by flying figure 8's.
Fly by wire - Provides flight stabilization, while allowing user to control the plane.
Waypoint navigation - Plane will follow pre-programmed flight path up to 15 waypoints.

FY-31AP w/Hornet OSD:
According to their user manual they have the following flight modes:
Deactivated - 100% user controlled. Shows as "RC" on the OSD.
Stabilized Mode - Like RVOSD 5's Fly by wire mode. Provides flight stabilization, while allowing user to control the plane. Shows as "ABM" on the OSD.
Air Route Flight Mode - I can only assume this is waypoint control, but I'm not sure how this works. FY-31AP has 8 waypoints that can be set. There is some sort of software (GCS) that can be downloaded to set waypoints for the system, so maybe this activates that ability. This mode shows as "FAF" on the OSD.
Auto Circle Mode - Flies in a circle of 240m diameter, with the center being where the flight mode was activated by the user. Shows as "ACM" on the OSD.
Auto Return to Launch - Returns the plane to take-off point, and then circles over that area in 240m diameter. Shows as "RTL" on the OSD.

So, as you see, both systems have very comparable auto-pilot modes, so not much advantage to either one here.

Finally, I think the FY-31AP and Hornet OSD have great user manuals. I'd really like to see RangeVideo release an updated, completed RVOSD 5 manual with images, OSD screen shots, etc. RangeVideo is a little bit behind with their documentation, and I think it really reflects on how people feel about the ease of setup.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

-Tux
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:48 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
On FY21AP you had 3 flight modes (off / ABM / FAF)
On FY31AP you also have 3 flight modes (off / stabilized / nav)

ABM = wing stabilization without fixed altitude
FAF = wing stabilization + fixed altitude

What im wondering is , what does the "stabilized mode" on FY31AP do?
Is it the same as FAF?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2006
216 Posts
Oh wait! There was one more thing. I'm still not 100% sure how each system handles throttle control of the plane if failsafe kicks in.

I believe the FY-31AP still requires you to set your throttle to 50% on failsafe so it will have enough airspeed to make it back home (not 100% fool-proof, if you're flying into a stiff headwind, for instance).

I think the RVOSD 5 has two throttle settings. One for if you are below the cruise altitude you've set (let's say 400 feet), in which case the throttle will increase to try to reach that altitude. The other setting is for if you are higher than the cruise altitude, at which point it tries to manage throttle to maintain altitude and save battery as much as possible.

-Tux
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2006
216 Posts
octane81, after reading the manual, it sure does sound like the FY-31AP ABM stabilization mode is like the FY-21AP FAF fixed altitude mode, where the plane controls the stabilization and the altitude. I hope it still allows the user to override these when the sticks are moved.

-Tux
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuxbury View Post
octane81, after reading the manual, it sure does sound like the FY-31AP ABM stabilization mode is like the FY-21AP FAF fixed altitude mode, where the plane controls the stabilization and the altitude. I hope it still allows the user to override these when the sticks are moved.

-Tux
Thats what im thinking also , "Stabilized mode" on FY31 is same as FAF on FY21.
And the FY21 ABM is replaced with the NAV mode, so now you wont get the "wing stabilization only" , as you did with ABM on FY21.

I enjoyed landing the plane with FY21 ABM on as it would keep the wings level , this could not be done with FY21 FAF as when turned on the plane would climb to 50 meters automatic.

I wonder if when "stabilized mode" is turned on with FY31 if it also will climb automaticly , because then you cant land is stab mode.