Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:10 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Build Log
Guillows TBF Avenger- A Massive Micro

I have had this as Kind of a side project to fill in the holes so to speak. I would have put this in the scale forum however it is far from scale and when you realize the size of the full scale TBF (41' feet long, 15' feet high and a 54' foot wingspan) and how small this model really is at 1/38th scale, it is truly a micro conversion.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:27 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Next up cutting up the Tail feathers. i used Contest grade balsa and it sure is light. The plans call out punching out some iron wood and hard heavy stringers. I have done this in the past only to end up cutting it all out of sheet.

Have to cut out the plastic canopy and Cowl for those during build mock ups.

M
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:37 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Ailerons are framed out with contest balsa and the ribs are cut off and used to make ailerons. Copy the rib form on the out side and make two new end pieces. I made the ailerons oversized for more authority and also will have them reflexed a bit since I did not put washout in the wingtips.
M
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:56 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Now we need to make the ailerons work. CA'ed a panel that the 4site micro servo fits right into. then drill holes in the ribs for the servo leads and we have a nice in wing setup.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:06 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Since I have thumbs for all fingers. We will need a hatch. Just trace the tops of the formers from the cutout section and make two new hatch formers. Stringer them together and we have a hatch.

All for tonight gotta go get dinner....

M
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:37 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Looking good

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:10 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,902 Posts
What kind of electronic and power will you use?
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:35 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
914 Posts
Dialed in on the frequency now, Mark!

I'll be following this one with great interest.

Regarding the little TBF, some questions:

What are using for the power and control system?
Who makes that great looking propeller?
Not having any skill or experience with micros, will you cut out any of the wood from the tail feathers (I should ask whether or not you're planning on covering the tail feathers and if lightening holes would make much difference...)?
What are going to use to cover the model? Tissue? Solite?

Look for an email asking questions about the great electrical black out and storm in CT and other off-topic subjects.

Chris
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jugjock; Dec 05, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:32 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Is that a Mosquito power system?
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:36 AM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
OK thanks guys,

Hey Pete I haven't been over here in a while. I have to catch up on your magic. Thanks

Oops forgot to put in the first post that this is a 4Site transfusion.

The prop is from the PZ Mosquito.

We will have full house controls.

Tail feathers are contest balsa and not worth lightening. I will cover them with Tissue and paint.

Look forward to your note Chris, We are back on the grid. However the bombers could not find us for six days .....

So as we continue along the 4site donor card is validated and all critical organs are carefully laid out. The 4 site is also a great resource for thin CF rods, control linkages, and small wheels. We are now also thinning out the formers as this is a great way to save valuable weight.

M
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:16 AM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Now let's stuff this little birdie. Now that the formers are dremeled out we have some room to work with. the motor mount is measured and simply cut out of blue foam. the 4Site motor fits right in and we can fine tune Right and down thrust easily. The 6400 board fits perfectly in the front of the hatchway and is glued in place.

M
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:29 AM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Now that we have the stuff-ins, we are going to cover the mighty Avenger with Japanese tissue. I learned a new method from my good friend Fuzz for putting this stuff on. I am still playing with the process and forget a few thing but he was kind enough to write it up for a SE5 thread I did earlier this year.

Here is the link to Fuzz's tutorial Fun Build 4 - Guillows 18" British SE5, Kit WW-5, with Aero-Werks parts "Fun Tissue Covering"

M
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:45 AM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
It is kind of fun getting back to the roots of FF modeling. My tissue covering jobs from twenty five years ago were not so hot. I am getting better at it but still not to the skill level of some of my friends here on RCG's Here is a great example of Micro FW-190 that GLewis is working on. I marvel at his skill for tissue covering.

Covering goes pretty quick or I should say too quickly as I forgot to thin my lacquer and when it dries before shrinking the wrinkles become permanent.

I also added a 1/16" stringer to the bottom front of the wing. It is an experiment to see if it will help with the flat wing design.

Canopy masked and painted

M
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:38 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
More covering please.......

The key here is to cover small sections and use a fresh #11 blade. Also of note the covering comes out as good as the preparation. Again my sanding patience is lacking.

M
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:02 PM
MPP
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Something about a stick and tissue covering. Before you shrink it you feel like no way this is going to look right. Then when it dries up or in my case take the heat gun to it, it brings it all together. Fragile Light and then the looks of a classic FF stick and tissue model. I have "Avenged" childhood failure.

Well we have come this far then might as well put some paint on it. I was going to hold off on paint but the bird as it sits with Battery, 45 Grams AUW. I feel that the only way to paint is to use an airbrush. I use a Paasche double action and it is great for these little jobs. all told I added 1.1 grams of paint.

Only thing I would have changed would to have used a lighter medium blue. I did mix in some white as the smaller models colors appear much darker. Oh well good enough for now.

M