HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Discussion
Help Help Help Have to order stuff tonight

Hi,

Just found this forum, awesome, will be reading more later ....

Running out of time here before trip to US so trying to figure out what to buy, it's a lot of imformation to take in all at once ....

Really like the look of the dragon osd, will go for the v2. I understand that the RTH feature functions better with an autopilot on board. On the foxtech site they recommend the fy20 (which they dont have anymore). I see now that the fy31 has been released a couple days ago.

Will the fy31 be a good choice to pair up with the dragon osd?

Other than that here is what I am thinking about buying (I have 2 dx7 radios on 2.4), and would like one fpv on plane/heli and one on truck. I have also purchased a gopro hero 2 3D system so I have two gopros. One big *** heli airstar international gasser waiting for me in US with DJI heli system (this thing can lift your dog apparently):

Video system:

fox 5.8ghz 500/200/10mW transmitters
fox 5.8ghz receiver with two video out (one to 10mW repeater, one for recording)
a small card recorder
a small camera with tilt and pan mount (suggestions - quality over price)
AIO all in one 5.8/2.4 ghz goggles with head tracking

Extra Antennas:

just ordered two sets of the blubeam antennas and adapters

OSD:

dragonfly osd v2 with current and gps
sea turtle for more accurate altitude
ttl usb convertor
ppm encoder for autopilot

Autopilot/stabilisation:

?????

Other questions:

Do I need to get one of the white flat antennas as well, or will the ball antenna on the receiver or just the goggles give me a mile or two with 500mW or 200mW? If so, what dbi?

Do I need to worry about antenna tracking with this setup?

Do you wrap your dragon OSD in foam?

Does a 200mW TX without fan on it get hot hanging under a heli?

Does the dragon OSD work for RTH and such with multicopters?

Can I use the 10mW TX on the truck to drive around within 100 yards through the woods?

Anything I'm not thinking about?

Sorry for so many questions at once, plane going in 1 week, and things need to get shipped so they arrive before I leave again, shipping is nightmare around x-mas if I remember correctly.

Hobbyking has this awesome plane, ever seen one used for FPV? Really just missing the little missles ...... people here would freak if they saw this thing flying around!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._FPV_ARF_.html

Thanks,
PetroMonkey
PetroMonkey is offline Find More Posts by PetroMonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:30 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
posted in the dragon osd forum on this topic

best not buy tonight. you have more research to do.
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:31 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quickly! paypal me $1000!
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
I have spent some days coming this far in research from not knowing anything about an fpv system at all, but like I said I am running out of time .... so please feel free to provide some constructive comments.

Paypal me $1000 and do more research aren't constructive for the moment, and don't really help or interest anyone.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:19 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Petro, with all due respect... for those who have been here for many months or even years, your thread title and post details out of the gates imply a lot about what you know and how much time you've spent researching FPV. Not much.

The responses you got were basically right on because, well, to safely and successfully become an FPV pilot you need to "have more research" under your belt, and if you don't want that, then you need to pay for that build experience... and honestly, $1000 is nothing compared to the experience most who are successful have put in (based on man work hours alone).

I totally understand the itching desire to get going, and most FPVers go through this, but cramming for an upcoming trip and spending a bunch of money with what it seems you know on the subject would be the wrong thing for any of to recommend for you.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but there is much more than a shopping list involved with being successful in FPV. And let's face it, the last thing people here want is for someone uninformed and under-educated to do something that could jeopardize this niche hobby.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:50 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Petro, with all due respect... for those who have been here for many months or even years, your thread title and post details out of the gates imply a lot about what you know and how much time you've spent researching FPV. Not much.

The responses you got were basically right on because, well, to safely and successfully become an FPV pilot you need to "have more research" under your belt, and if you don't want that, then you need to pay for that build experience... and honestly, $1000 is nothing compared to the experience most who are successful have put in (based on man work hours alone).

I totally understand the itching desire to get going, and most FPVers go through this, but cramming for an upcoming trip and spending a bunch of money with what it seems you know on the subject would be the wrong thing for any of to recommend for you.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but there is much more than a shopping list involved with being successful in FPV. And let's face it, the last thing people here want is for someone uninformed and under-educated to do something that could jeopardize this niche hobby.
This pretty much sums it up for me.

If you really really want to try FPV, just use a camera, a transmitter, and a reciever. setting up and configing OSDS and gopro's and antenna tracking, etc.etc.etc. is really a long project.

check out www.readymaderc.com and pickup one of the readymade FPV systems. It's litterally plug and play. Glue it onto any old airplane (i use an apprentice 15 for my workhorse FPV plane, about $250-300 RTF and available everywhere).

Thats most likely the easiest way to get into FPV to start
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:56 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroMonkey View Post

Paypal me $1000 and do more research aren't constructive for the moment, and don't really help or interest anyone.
Sorry but like I said I posted your reply in the dragon OSD page. You also had the same post here in a new thread.

You have a lot more reading to do. Go to the top sticky threads and read. All the things you have asked are in this thread. You need more research as right now you do not know enough to spend the money you will about to. Give it another day or two full out reading. Post in the above forum if you are unsure of a topic. build lists that show no real research will often get dumped on .... to save you money, this hobby isn't cheap.
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:01 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,224 Posts
I agree 100% with last few answers. What you're trying to do at the level
of complexity you've envisioned is not totally impossible, but pretty close to it.
If you were the type of person who could pull it off, you'd also be the type to
know how to do this kind of research for yourself because that's what it takes.
Successful FPV pilots need a high degree of self-sufficiency and creative problem solving skills.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:03 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I agree 100% with last few answers. What you're trying to do at the level
of complexity you've envisioned is not totally impossible, but pretty close to it.
If you were the type of person who could pull it off, you'd also be the type to
know how to do this kind of research for yourself because that's what it takes.
Successful FPV pilots need a high degree of self-sufficiency and creative problem solving skills.

ian
+expendable income or credit cards
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:11 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroMonkey View Post
I have spent some days coming this far in research from not knowing anything about an fpv system at all, but like I said I am running out of time .... so please feel free to provide some constructive comments.

Lol it helped and interested me!!

WHilst your at it, throw some money my way so i can make my own impulsive purchase!
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:56 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,325 Posts
I never keep this post far away:

This and this is proof you need to start slow.
metalfred is online now Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Did not order flight stabiliser or 500mW Tx.

Got the other 5.8 stuff plus flat 12dbi and dragon v2 rig. Gonna throw in a skywalker as well. If I don't need any of the gear I can always sell it, people here are glad to be able to get ahold of things easily.

I am not gonna throw all this on the HUGE heli before I am well experienced in FPV matters in case some people are worried. That thing could easily kill someone, and I have enourmous respect for helicopters. I even ride one to work sometimes and hate having to walk under the blades while they are spinning.

So we consider this help thread closed, I just had to get it done tonight, don't have time for a couple days reading right now.

I was hoping to avoid antenna tracking to begin with, which is why I was wondering what you can do with these blubeam antennas on 5.8 and the AIO goggles with built in receiver in itself. Got enough to relay I think if I need it, but we'll take that when it comes. First fpv truck, then a tree to test range, then a tree up a mountain, etc, then the plane, and eventually after a lot of big heli flying and experience with DJI wookong, HD Hero 2 3D recording with aiming through fpv. The heli has an extra set of skids with a huge 2 axis camera mount (just that bit alone runs a grand) That should hold the 3D hero 2 nicely. I am going to use the heros for other things as well, not just for flying.

I would have bought a ready made kit, but all the ones that looked interesting, or say most complete and 5.8 were sold out. Things seem to be sold out all over the place, pretty annoying. There were no kits of absolutely everything you need in one plug and play. Some room for improvement there from sellers.

Anyways, the drone will surely come one day, that's just too cool. Will look nice next to scale turbine heli.

I would like a personal ROV too, but we have big real ones at work, so that's kind of an anticlimax, plus I'm tired of the ocean by the time I get home. By big I mean 150hp on 3000V. Yee haw
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:51 PM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
I've been here for several years now, I'm just now feeling comfortable enough to buy an OSD and all the expensive goodies that come along with advanced fpv flying.

@Metalfred I remember reading that post and laughing so hard when I saw it for sale a couple weeks later.
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05