SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
Discussion
sig Thermal Dart wing covering ?

i picked up a Thermal dart at the hobby shop yesterday and am building it today, i am wondering what the material they use for the wing /elev/stab covering is ? it has a plastic feel almost like plastic tissue ? i sure like it and would like to get some more or it for other projects, i sure like that the covering is the plans lol ,just build and glue straight to to covering
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:20 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,740 Posts
It's way heavier than tissue. Build another one, cover it with either wrapping or Jap tissue -- or Press N Seal.

what a difference -- and if you put a 1/16 on top of the ribs about 1/3 of the way back in the middle and take it straight to the center of the tip, it will be even better.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:26 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
They fly fine with that material, but other materials are much lighter. Or have they gone to something lighter lately? The stuff on both of mine, from many years ago and from almost twice as many as that, was kind of like fancy typing paper. (Hmm... does anyone remember fancy typing paper?) Lighter than the 20 lb stuff, though, I think. Both of my Thermal Darts flew quite well. I think the second one would do a minute.

A very inexpensive and very light covering is vegetable bags from the supermarket. You need contact cement or something to make it stick, but if you are careful it heat shrinks nicely, without pulling very hard, and some varieties are much lighter than japanese tissue. The best stuff I found last time I used it felt a bit crinklier than other kinds, but I suspect almost any of them would work well.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:39 AM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
vegetable bags, yes they are very lite, ill have to build another wing and cover it with that and give it a try, i can wip out another wing in no time thanks for the good idea, The thermal dart does fly pretty good with the kit covering but would fun to see how much better it will fly with the mod
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Just make sure you use really sticky contact cement or something to put the plastic on with.

Another easy approach is to use lighter wood and taper it where it doesn't need to be as strong, like toward the wing tips. I'm sure you could save a LOT of weight. Also, make the tips an inch or two wide instead of points. Of course there's nearly no end to this until you end up with an indoor flyer that will go for 20 minutes in a high ceiling! (The record for an indoor rubber powered airplane is now over an hour. But that's in a bliimp hangar with a very high ceiling.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
Lincoln, what length and thickness and loops do you use in your Thermal dart ? my came with one small loop of very heavy i think 1/4 inch rubber, i am thinking may be four strands of 3/16 and about 30 percent longer than the aft motor hook when unwound ?? but i am not sure, still all new to this game lol
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:52 PM
What's my age again ?!
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
They fly fine with that material, but other materials are much lighter. Or have they gone to something lighter lately? The stuff on both of mine, from many years ago and from almost twice as many as that, was kind of like fancy typing paper. (Hmm... does anyone remember fancy typing paper?) Lighter than the 20 lb stuff, though, I think. Both of my Thermal Darts flew quite well. I think the second one would do a minute.

A very inexpensive and very light covering is vegetable bags from the supermarket. You need contact cement or something to make it stick, but if you are careful it heat shrinks nicely, without pulling very hard, and some varieties are much lighter than japanese tissue. The best stuff I found last time I used it felt a bit crinklier than other kinds, but I suspect almost any of them would work well.
Are Veggie bags better than saran wrap?
- Dirk
derogg is offline Find More Posts by derogg
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
larryg:
It's been a long time since I flew the thing. I've brought it with me through a number of moves and now it's all banged up. So I don't know what size rubber. Depends partly on what kind of oak they make the kit from now. Can't call the wood in the last kit I saw balsa, though it would probably fly just fine. 30 percent longer is reasonably conservative for something like this. I'm guessing a loop of 1/4 that long would be adequate, but not sure. They may use a different prop these days, for all I know.

Dirk:
Much lighter than Saran Wrap, or even Japanese tissue, and not sticky. Looks a bit foggier than Saran Wrap too. I'm guessing the stuff is light enough for anything down to maybe a limited penny plane. There is some variation from store to store.
RCG Plus Member