HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:10 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
Discussion
FROG Build Off Raven

Here is my project for the FROG Build off Oct 2011-April 2012 being organised by Sundancer and largely hosted in the Vintage forum.

Most of the guys are building RC versions with some really nice models built and flown already. Seems I'm the only free flighter so far (come on guys, must be some others interested )

My first entry is the FROG Raven from the Senior series for rubber power at the original span of 18". Plans were downloaded from Mike Stuart's House of Frog site.

The construction is very simple - a sheet side and formers make up the basic structure and the tail surfaces are sheet balsa.

I generally prefer to build these as per the plan. Built up tail surfaces would be lighter - the seniors generally need a bit of noseweight. The only modification I've made is a modern nose former arrangement.

Jon
Yak 52 is online now Find More Posts by Yak 52
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:44 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,280 Posts
Watching in Jon
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:29 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
I'm making an effort to keep the weight down for this model, the wood is indoor quality from SAMS. While the Frog models do have quite generous wood sizing that does mean you can use very light stuff with less fear of breaking it.

Weight at this stage is 6 grams. There's not much more wood to go in but I always underestimate the weight of piano wire, esaki. etc...
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
544 Posts
sure is looking sweet...
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:31 PM
Could be?!
Derby, England
Joined Jan 2011
139 Posts
I'm tempted John, You really know how much I love these little beauties.

I have some 6lb balsa too....

Andrew
Phugoid1 is offline Find More Posts by Phugoid1
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:21 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
Cheers George, Larry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phugoid1 View Post
I'm tempted John, You really know how much I love these little beauties.

I have some 6lb balsa too....

Andrew
Ooooh go on Andrew! There must be at least one you haven't built!

Where dya get 6lb balsa then? That's light! I haven't worked out the density for the SAMS wood but it's good stuff. I have some lovely 4lb 3/16 sheet that I'll be using for the block parts. I got that from Geoff Stubbs (local model shop) but the thinner sheets he has tend to be heavier...
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:15 AM
Could be?!
Derby, England
Joined Jan 2011
139 Posts
I got it from a little model shop in a Village about 15 Miles from where I live. He mainly sells trains and airfix kits. I think he doesn't really know what he's got with this stuff. it sells under the trade name of "orbit"

I bought 10 sheets of 1/16"!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
Could be?!
Derby, England
Joined Jan 2011
139 Posts
I need a rest from scale builds, and so I decided to build one of these too.

I bought one of the A and DB model aircraft laser kits. 18 inc postage (UK). Totting up the cost of the bits in the kit including the Esaki tissue and proper Peck prop etc I think they are good value...

Will post progress...

Andrew
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
Good stuff! Look forward to it Andrew. Mine has been stuck at this point for a bit but funnily enough I was going to have a bash at it again today...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:47 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
Well I've picked up my Raven again...

Hopefully this is the start of some real progress on this project. I have been inspired by Warren B's RC Raven - I love the colour scheme so I'm going to pinch it for mine it's weird but I often find that as soon as I get a finished model in my head I suddenly get motivated to build it. In the past I have preferred to do traditional scheme's for frogs - from the catalogue drawings - but the red and black looks really classy.

I've now joined the wings and have set about finishing the fuselage. I've added a second motor peg postion, a little further forward. I recently did this on my Redwing because the motor was tending to bunch at the back. Perhaps it will help with the infamous frog noseweight problem too...

The wings were set up on the building board with the correct dihedral and the test fit against the fuselage for width. Then the centre section bits were glued in.

Jon
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:36 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,280 Posts
You're right about needing inspiration Jon. I had been dragging my heels a bit in getting started on my Witch II, but then I saw that the plan had been added to the House of Frog site and there were a couple of pictures of Australian Dave Simons' completed model which looks wonderful - simple but really great colour scheme - see http://www.houseoffrog.co.uk/rubber_plans.htm - and was promptly inspired to get all the bits cut out, whereupon I am really fired up to get on with it! I won't be copying Dave's colour scheme, but if my model looks anything like as nice I will be well pleased.

Looks like there is not all that much more to do on your Raven before you get into covering and finishing.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:51 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
It's getting there... just the structure on the fuselage deck and cockpit. Plus the sanding on the wing. I'm wondering whether to make the wing demountable with rubber bands or I might glue it on and make the elevators adjustable with sandwich bag tie wire. It's added weight, but I like the ease of trimming it gives me. It works well on my Redwing.

The Witch looks gorgeous... 2 minutes on 500 turns is impressive!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:08 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
Fuselage is now done but for the nose and chin blocks and secure attachment of the UC. The weight so far is 9g which I'm pretty pleased with. The wheels shown are plastic ones - I'm probably going to make some balsa ones for my own flying, but the plastic ones will be needed for the Flying Aces competition rules.

Another mock up shot You can never have too many mock up shots!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
The UC was glued into a balsa sandwich with CA, then the nose and chin blocks were glued on and sanded.

All up weight at this stage (without wheels, canopy, prop assembly and covering) is just under 10g, lighter than my Redwing, so I'm pleased so far...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:21 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Nice sanding job!

Kev
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews