HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:45 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Discussion
PL8 hang after firmware update to 3.29

Dear Sir,

I bought Powerlab 8 recently(11/28) and do firmware update at 12/1, update firmware from 3.25 to 3.29.
Everything looks fine until this morning, I found my PL8 encouter bootup issue. Display screeen show nothing, please refer to attached pictures for more detail.

01. Is there anything wrong with Rev 3.29 firmware?
02. Do you have any RMA process? Any charge for replacement/fixing?

Best regards, falconee
falconee is offline Find More Posts by falconee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:46 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconee View Post
Dear Sir,

I bought Powerlab 8 recently(11/28) and do firmware update at 12/1, update firmware from 3.25 to 3.29.
Everything looks fine until this morning, I found my PL8 encouter bootup issue. Display screeen show nothing, please refer to attached pictures for more detail.

01. Is there anything wrong with Rev 3.29 firmware?
02. Do you have any RMA process? Any charge for replacement/fixing?

Best regards, falconee
Hi:

Please launch the CCS, power up the PL8, and re-attach the FUIM3 between the PC USB and the PL8. Make sure the plug is oriented properly going into the PL8. Black wire towards outside of the case. Go the firmware tab of the CCS, click the latest firmware version again, and re-install the firmware. See if this gets you going again.

If not, please contact Howard Matos in technical who will provide additional assistance, or help you start the RA process.

The PL8 is equipped to self-heal from a bad firmware update. This can occur if, for example the PC loses power in the middle of an update. From your description, it doesn't sound like that happened, but it would appear that the firmware in the unit is corrupt at this time. We have had no reports of any issues with v3.29 firmware, however v3.30 is available and you might want the latest. If you do not see v3.30 in the firmware update tab, re-install the CCS from the revolectrix website at this link:

http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...ftware_v2.html

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Thank you...Tim.
My PL8 does not have any reponse, even I did check the connection is correct. I will send to my local dealer for RA process.
Best regards, falconee
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:40 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Thank you...Tim.
My PL8 does not have any reponse, even I did check the connection is correct. I will send to my local dealer for RA process.
Best regards, falconee
Hi:

Try one more thing. Repeat the instructions I provided, but:

1) Make sure the COM port is set to Auto
2) Then try again selecting the manual com port setting each time

The computer should be able to locate the PL8 and initiate the firmware download. If this does not work, then the only thing I can think of is that the PC interface has a broken wire or is otherwise defective. If you have an ohm meter, you can check continuity of the red/wht/black wires between the PC interface's connector and it's PCB.

If you still can't get it working, you can contact Howard Matos @ howard@fmadirect.com or 301.829.5533.

Finally, if you do need to send the unit back, be sure to include the PC interface.

Tim Marks
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Tim...

Finally, my PL8 is alive again!!
I follow your procedures to reinstall CCS, then update with 3.30. It works!!
Thank you so much!! Really appreciated!!

Best regards, falconee
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:49 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Tim...

Finally, my PL8 is alive again!!
I follow your procedures to reinstall CCS, then update with 3.30. It works!!
Thank you so much!! Really appreciated!!

Best regards, falconee
Hi:

Glad to hear it! It's nearly impossible to brick a PowerLab. Sometimes it takes a little effort to "get the brain back", but that's a lot better than shipping back and forth, eh?

Tim Marks