Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:39 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Contest
Fun Build 5 - 51" Lancaster B X in Depron

Despite my hit-and-miss record completing my build-off and funbuild entries, I'm going to toss my hat into the ring one more time. I've always admired the Avro Lancaster and the brave men who climbed into them night after night, knowing they might never return. I decided I'd build one after I saw one of the two airworthy Lancasters in a Battle of Britain fly-past a few years ago when we lived in Ottawa. It was the Mynarski Lancaster, flown by the Canadian Warplane Heritage in honour of Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski, RCAF, who won the Victoria Cross posthumously for his actions attempting to save the tail gunner in his burning Lancaster. The majesty of that aircraft slowly carving its way through the sky is a sight I'll never forget, and that's what I want to replicate with my model.

Making a model bomber fly like a bomber (and not a fighter) means keeping the wing loading low and resisting the temptation to over-power it. I had decided my Lancaster would be 1/24th scale, giving it a 51" wingspan and about 2.25 square feet of wing area, so keeping its wing loading around 10 ozs per square foot led me to set a weight limit of 25 ounces ready-to-fly. Having bought Sparky's building with foam book, I was planning to build her from pink foam, but Sopwith Mike convinced me that my best chances of success lay in building out of Depron. Now, they don't come much more dyed-in-the-wool balsa bug than me, so it's taken some time for me to come to grips with a Depron build, after all, I've only used Depron for lamination forms, and now I'm building a four-engined bomber out of the stuff! Thankfully, guys like Mike and eflightray and Pat Mullen have been generous in sharing their techniques, and I hope to emulate their work. Following Mike's advice, I've drawn a structure based on 6mm Depron structural forms, covered in 2mm Depron sheeting. I haven't started building yet, although I have built a trial outer wing panel to get used to building with Depron. It'll take a little getting used to, but balsa construction techniques are a good basis for building in Depron.

At my target AUW, I think I'll be able to power the Lanc with four GWS IPS A brushed motor gear drives on 3s. I've had good success with them in my fighters, driving 7 inch props on 3s, and for the Lanc I'll try GWS' three blade props. I'll need to bench test the new props on the IPS drives, but I've been getting 25 watts and almost seven ounces of thrust out of the two-blade 7x6 props on the same setup. This should translate to a minimum of 100 watts for the whole setup, and around 60 watts per pound for the model as a whole. It'll definitely be a calm air bird!

I'm going to have to be really careful with weight. Once the IPS drives, six servos, 1500 mAh 3s, retracts, and other miscellaneous electronic and mechanical bits are all accounted for, I have only 10 ounces left for the airframe. It's a good thing Depron is so light!

Wish me luck, and please chime in with observations and suggestions, since this is new ground for me!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Last edited by Steve85; Dec 27, 2011 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:52 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
There's a great set of pictures of VR-A doing a fly-by in Saskatoon. I'll see if I can fing them. It's great seeing a majestic bomber buzz the tower like a fighter.
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Last edited by mrdj; Dec 04, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:40 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Wow, what great pictures! The BoB flypast I saw was nowhere near that exciting!

Steve
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:13 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
Hi Steve,

I wish you Good Luck with the build of this wonderful WWII Bomber.

I have some in flight pictures of the Lancaster "Phantom of the ruhr" i have taken at Duxford Airshow, Uk - if they can help you... just ask.

There is also this nice HD video from "Tigersnose" available on Youtube :
RAF Waddington Airshow 2011 Avro Lancaster - Flying display and on the ground.m4v (7 min 4 sec)

Enjoy your build

Subscrived !

Best Regards
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:31 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Dreamcatcher,

Merci, mon ami! That video was really inspirational.

I'm ready to start cutting Depron, having spent a fair amount of time drawing the plans. The usual Christmas preparations have so far prevented me from getting started, but it's only a matter of time now.

Steve
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:40 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
905 Posts
On your frequency, Steve. This will be a most interesting thread to follow.

Chris
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,793 Posts
Hello Steve

Good luck with this build, I watch with much interest!

Will
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:58 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,532 Posts
Very best of luck Steve...I'll be watching with interest. The C-Class is in the "paint and detailing" shop at the moment and looks good for flying in the New Year.

Have fun!

Mike
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the interest! I'll get started on the build this afternoon and may even be able to post a few pics before setting out Santa's milk and cookies...

Steve
Old Dec 25, 2011, 04:16 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
Great News Steve !

We stay tuned

Merry Christmas !
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:50 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Looking forward to your first pics. This is an interesting subject.

len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:16 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Stuffed with Christmas turkey, I finally got to cut some Depron and get the Lancaster started today. Following Sopwith Mike's advice on Depron structures, the fuselage has vertical and horizontal keels of 6mm (1/4") Depron, and I drew them so that they fit together with slots and tabs, making for a remarkably rigid fuselage sub-frame to which I'll glue formers made of more 6mm Depron. The bomb bay will be a removable hatch, and I plan to put the battery, receiver, elevator and rudder servos in there.

I've got the formers drawn on Depron ready to be cut, but this took longer than I expected because some of them needed to be re-drawn to ensure they fit properly. More to follow tomorrow!

Steve
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:10 AM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
905 Posts
Thanks for the progress photos, Steve. What's your Depron source and what type of glues are you using?
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:02 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Hey Chris,

I haven't actually glued anything together yet , but I intend to use a foam-safe contact cement called Uhu-Por, Gorilla Glue and good 'ol carpenter's glue depending on the application. I think I'll use the GG for gluing the keels together, but I should be able to use the contact cement for the formers.

As far as a Depron source, I'm fortunate to have a very well-stocked LHS twenty minutes away, and it sells 3' x 4' sheets of Depron in 2, 3 and 6 mm thicknesses.

Y'know, now that the "Crown Castle Wall" is finished, I'll bet you've got time for a Fun Build entry.... Maybe Longhorne could send you a beta kit of that B-25 he designed last year...

Steve
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:49 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,682 Posts
Subscribed!
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503