HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:49 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Discussion
RC radio question: stay with 72mhz or go with 2.4 ghz?

I currently have a Hitec Flash 5 System X radio (72 mhz) with one receiver but I have two planes. I do not want to use one receiver for both planes so I am wondering what would make sense in the long run. Should I hunt down and buy a Hitec receiver or put the money toward a mid-level 2.4 ghz radio? I hear the 2.4 ghz radios do not use crystals and are much more reliable as far as signal is concerned. Comments?
Riodiler1 is offline Find More Posts by Riodiler1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:04 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Seeing you only have one 72 Rx there is no better time to switch to 2.4.

I have too many 72 Rx's besides I have no problems with 72.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:05 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Seeing you only have one 72 Rx there is no better time to switch to 2.4.

I have too many 72 Rx's besides I have no problems with 72.
+1. 2.4 Is very reliable too! No interference
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:28 PM
union township clermont county Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2001
158 Posts
If I am flying by myself, 72 mhz is fine. If I am flying at a fun fly, I use my 2.4 radio. That way my chance of a shoot down.
little nail is online now Find More Posts by little nail
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:58 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,268 Posts
There is no pat answer. 72 was used for years and is still just as good. 2.4 is the 'new TX on the block'. It's advantage is the avoidance of frequency control. The problem is stupidly high RX price, problems of 'brown out' in the Spektrum class, the the confusion/controversy over using non-proprietary RX that cost an actually reasonable cost. The Futaba stuff is gawd-awful expensive but probably technically better. Spektrum wins on price point, hence the popularity along with BNF.

There is cheap 2.4 from China. Really cheap is....really cheap. Don't realistically expect to build a reliable system on it IMO. Mid-grade seems to be OK but expect essentially no support and no service.

You can get top notch used 72 systems for very little $$ right now.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:23 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riodiler1 View Post
Should I hunt down and buy a Hitec receiver or put the money toward a mid-level 2.4 ghz radio?
If you aren't having any interference propblems or frequency conflicts with other people, I really don't see the need to go to 2.4 ghz. For one, you don't have to have a Hitec receiver. Any brand of 72 mhz receiver will work with your Hitec transmitter. The receiver just has to have a crystal with the same frequency/channel as your transmitter. That is just one advantage of the 72 mhz systems. With 2.4 mhz systems the receivers are mostly proprietary and you have to buy the same brand receiver as the transmitter brand. Another advantage is that 72 mhz receivers are available for as little as $18.00 or less. That is substantially less than you would spend converting to 2.4 ghz.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:46 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
In my idea if most of beginners are NOT advised to claim their frequency bands and find out the band clips on field, then it's the time to go to 2.4GHz. But my freind told me that it would be safer to use 72MHz still if most of the members are with 2.4GHz in your club. Hopefully, there'll be more and more PNP airplanes in 2.4GHz available for most beginners.

If there are few flyers over at your field, why not take Lary's words ?

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:03 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
591 Posts
The other day another RCG member showed me a really cool style of 72mhz receiver. It is called a synthesized receiver. They sell for I think $15 on hobby king. The best part is no crystals! You bind it to your transmitter just like 2.4ghz but it's 72mhz and its cheap. I have not ordered one yet but I will next time I place an order. So that is really cool to me.
Also you don't have to use the same brand rx/tx --- for example I use a Hitec transmitter with a GWS receiver.
So for now, I'm stickin' with 72mhz
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:18 PM
Idiot Savant
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
While the same brand doesn't have to be used not all receivers work together. Pay attention to modulation (PPM or PCM) as well as shift (negative and positive).
ptgarcia is offline Find More Posts by ptgarcia
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:19 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,928 Posts
Any "negative shift" or "Futaba compatible" receiver will work with your 5x.

Here's my short summary of 72mhz:

Pros:
-Cheap receivers
-Excellent range (superior to some 2.4ghz gear)
-Not as prone to brownouts
-Widely available secondhand

Cons:
-Inconvenient
-Few computer radios available
-Greater chance of accidental frequency hit
-Not compatible with some newer model designs
-Almost no new equipment available.

I'd say the largest advantage is range - an inexpensive 72mhz setup is still very good if you're flying a long way away. Otherwise, the features and convenience outweigh the additional expense.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:52 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
if you fly with other people i recommend 2.4g.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:21 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,710 Posts
If it's only one more plane, the most economical answer is to simply buy another 72MHz receiver. Even if you fly at a club, with so many people going over to 2.4GHz these days, there's less and less chance of anyone else being on your channel now.

BUT, if you think you're going to want a "better" transmitter for some reason -- more channels, more model memory, better computer mixing, 2-way telemetry -- now's the time to go for 2.4GHz, while you still have only one receiver to replace.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:25 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
All,

Thanks for the great tips and education. I think I will just get a couple of new receivers for my Hitec radio.
Riodiler1 is offline Find More Posts by Riodiler1