HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
Power Supply (Wall Wart) for HZ Champ Charger

I have a HZ champ that my son and I are having a blast with. I want to be able to use the charger at home by plugging into the wall. The charger has a DC port that says 6v DC 1.5 AMP max. I have an old 5v wall wart from a router that is 2.5 AMPs. May be a dumb question, but can I use that with the HZ charger (it fits)?
wahoo67 is offline Find More Posts by wahoo67
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:59 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo67 View Post
I have a HZ champ that my son and I are having a blast with. I want to be able to use the charger at home by plugging into the wall. The charger has a DC port that says 6v DC 1.5 AMP max. I have an old 5v wall wart from a router that is 2.5 AMPs. May be a dumb question, but can I use that with the HZ charger (it fits)?
I would say that the 1V difference eliminates the use of that second charger.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:03 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
It's not a 2nd charger. the little charger that came with the plane runs off of 4 AA batteries. There's also a DC plug receptical on the side of the charger where you can plug it into the wall but it didn't come with the plug. You can by one for $15 but I want to know if the AD/DC power supply I have from the router can be used instead of the one they sell. Here is the one they sell:
http://www.amazon.com/AC-6VDC-1-5-Am...ref=pd_sim_t_7
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:10 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,113 Posts
Yes, that power supply should work on the HZ charger. I've used rechargable AA's in those types of chargers and they charge fine at the lower voltage. Some say it takes longer to charge, but I've not noticed it.

Just make sue the PS is DC and it's plug has the same polarity as the charger. Mine says center is Positive and case is Negative on the charger.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:36 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
I use a random motorola one I hacked up....1.2 amps, 5 volts. works fine. leave in one AA for the status LED though
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
I tried it this weekend and left one AA battery in as suggested and it seemed to work fine. Thanks for your help!