Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:06 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Build Log
Tekoa Shadow restoration

Hi,

I recently acquired a very used Tekoa Shadow full house glider with the intent of restoring it this winter. The fuz appears to be in good shape, no cracks or obvious damage, so I will leave that for later.. I hooked up a receiver and found out the right aileron servo is toast, no movement at all.. I had planned on replacing all the servos, so it wasn't a show stopper. So, I started on the wings first. They're obechi covered foam wings and look in good shape, and structurally sound.. I will cover them with monocote, when finished, but that's a ways away...

Now for my first OOPs, and plea. The servos wires exit the wing thru a tiny little hole and in my haste to strip it all down, I cut and removed the wiring.. It appears there is a channel for the wiring, but how its routed internally is unknown. Since I can't get into the wing itself, is there a simple way to rewire the wing ?

Photos pending...
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:34 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,434 Posts
Take a piece of 1/32" or 1/16" music wire longer than the distance from the wing root to aileron servo and run it down the channel until it gets to the aileron cutout. Now tape the end of the wire securely to the music wire (from whichever end you need) and carefully retract the music wire while feeding wire to the hole. When the wire exits, you should have restrung the wire down the channel.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:08 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Hi JT,

I tried that, but used 1.5 cf since it was slightly more bendable. It appears that the internal tube makes some awkward bends. I will pickup some thinner CF tomorrow and try again..
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:03 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Any way to add a photo? I have a plane that is similar and will need to address the same problem eventually. Thanks.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:56 AM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Yup, will get some photos, just very hard to see..
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:52 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Tekoa Shadow

Went to the LHS today, picked up a length of .5 mm cf rod and was able to coax it thru the tube, from the servos side to the root, but it took several tries.. Now I have to find servo wires thin enough to fit thru for both flap and aileron.

I been using the heavy silicone wire, but that won't work here. What is typically used and should I consider twisted or straight?

and a couple pics..
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:36 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Actually, that is the same as the wing I will be working on. Thanks for the photo. You are right about that being a small cavity. I would be interested in seeing the solution you come up with.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:37 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,414 Posts
I would consider using Ultracoat verses Moneycoat for the covering.

Wires: Only need 4 per wing. 1 positive, 1 ground, 2 signal. Twisted if it fits, straight if not.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Tekua Shadow Restoration

Ordered and finally received the 30 guage wiring for the wing. I CA'd the cable to the tiny CF rod and cut the corners so it wouldn't snag on anything, held my breath, and threaded both thru the wing at the same time. It went amazingly quick..
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
On to the other wing now !
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:59 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,414 Posts
On the four per wing, I meant per wing half.
30 gauge is fine for the signal, but I may not use them for positive and negative.

Are you going to run digi's or analog servos?
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:41 AM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Hi Jared,
I am doing the 4-wire scenario with a couple other planes where I can access the wires inside the wing. But, I can't see how to do this with this set though. So, Plan B is to run separate wiring for each. The original servos were analog and I will probably stick with the analog version which also used 30 gauge. But, I'm open to any recommendations..