SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
Help!
How to level mCPX swashplate?

What are the steps to level the mCPX swashplate? Is there a video available? Note: DX4e controller

Thanks
BladeUp is offline Find More Posts by BladeUp
Last edited by BladeUp; Dec 04, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:26 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
You can eyeball it, or get the swash tool http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.p...emart&Itemid=1 Once the swash is level you need to adjust the pitch by adjusting all 3 links at the same time to keep the swash level, then recheck with the swash tool or just eyeball it, if it looks level and hovers without trim then you are good to go.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
Thanks for the help!

Is there some way to start the procedure with servos in a neutral or a starting position? I ask because my AILE servo position is an 1/8” lower than the PITC servo position. This is making me max out the pushrods trying to get to level.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:08 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Is the ail servo centered, or 1/8" off? Are you using any ail trim on the DX4?
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
All trim slides are centered. The ail servo tab (where the pushrod connects) is not centered and about 1/8 lower than the pitc and elev servo tabs all the time.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:01 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Check the retainer on top of the servo and make sure there is no up and down play, same with the white plastic gear on the bottom of servo. The servo might need to be cleaned or replaced. On a new heli I always start by turning it on, make sure all trims are centered on Tx, make sure all servos are centered. Then I hit throttle hold (or unplug the motors) and check the swash to make sure it's level, adjust if needed. Then check the pitch, I set mine up to 0* @ 50% throttle and then I eyeball the swash again and make sure it's level. Then I test fly it, if it drifts I trim it on the Tx and go back and adjust the swash until it hovers without drifting and all the trims are centered or very close to centered. Sometimes it's easy and only takes 10 minutes and sometimes it can take an hour or two to get it perfect.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:11 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Check the retainer on top of the servo and make sure there is no up and down play, same with the white plastic gear on the bottom of servo. The servo might need to be cleaned or replaced. On a new heli I always start by turning it on, make sure all trims are centered on Tx, make sure all servos are centered. Then I hit throttle hold (or unplug the motors) and check the swash to make sure it's level, adjust if needed. Then check the pitch, I set mine up to 0* @ 50% throttle and then I eyeball the swash again and make sure it's level. Then I test fly it, if it drifts I trim it on the Tx and go back and adjust the swash until it hovers without drifting and all the trims are centered or very close to centered. Sometimes it's easy and only takes 10 minutes and sometimes it can take an hour or two to get it perfect.
And after all this do you go back and level the swash again??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:28 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
And after all this do you go back and level the swash again??
No, if it flies well and the pitch is correct then there is no need. I just check the swash to make sure it's level twice, once before you trim it and once after you set the pitch or if it's drifting.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
So I just got a new servo/board and it fixed my 1/8” off servo problem. Bad board I guess.

But wait there’s more… Unlike slo-fly I did not adjust anything straight out of the box. I’ve only had my mCPX for a month now. I followed slo-fly’s instructions to adjust the swashplate and pitch. WOW it flies better than ever! Before it was very very touchy to fly and I crashed a lot. With the adjustments it’s much easier to control and flies great. Thanks sol-fly!

I did purchase a Swash Leveler from Wow Hobbies along with my new servo. It made it very easy to get the swashplate perfect. For only $8.99 I would recommend it.

http://www.wowhobbies.com/mhe-mh-mcp...cpx-1-1-1.aspx
Last edited by BladeUp; Dec 09, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:43 PM
RC Wirehead
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2011
21 Posts
Leveler

Hey Blade,

Is the leveler installed permanently or do you just use it when adjusting then remove it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeUp View Post
So I just got a new servo/board and it fixed my 1/8” off servo problem. Bad board I guess.

But wait there’s more… Unlike slo-fly I did not adjust anything straight out of the box. I’ve only had my mCPX for a month now. I followed slo-fly’s instructions to adjust the swashplate and pitch. WOW it flies better than ever! Before it was very very touchy to fly and I crashed a lot. With the adjustments it’s much easier to control and flies great. Thanks sol-fly!

I did purchase a Swash Leveler from Wow Hobbies along with my new servo. It made it very easy to get the swashplate perfect. For only $8.99 I would recommend it.

http://www.wowhobbies.com/mhe-mh-mcp...cpx-1-1-1.aspx
sendittokeith is offline Find More Posts by sendittokeith
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
RC Wirehead
Joined Jun 2011
21 Posts
Oh never mind, i get it now :-)
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
RC Wirehead
Joined Jun 2011
21 Posts
Quick qestion - when leveling the swash on the MCPx, does the throttle need to be center stick? I have not been doing it this way...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendittokeith View Post
Quick qestion - when leveling the swash on the MCPx, does the throttle need to be center stick? I have not been doing it this way...
Sort of? I believe you'd start by leveling it at 50% (you can use a crazy pitch curve to make sure you get it at 50%).

After that, you continue by going to extreme pitch and making sure it stays level. If it doesn't, you pull back the travel endpoints until it stays level from lock to lock.

This guys ebooks on swash plate leveling are awesome, he goes over using these types of levelers (and other methods). I paid for 2 or 3 of his books and have *never* regretted it.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-he...r-e-books.html
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:27 PM
RC Wirehead
Joined Jun 2011
21 Posts
cool, thanks a lot fryfrog