How did it fly?
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:18 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
great! I was pulling off some knife edges but it was so cold! MY dads girlfriends son video taped it but he went to his house and i think he is gonna put it on youtube and then i will post the link then. Tomarrow we are going to the good park and its should be 40 degreees plus with 8 mph wind tomarrow which was the same wind as today. I will also do some video tomarrow where i can be more confortable and not as cold.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:20 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Glad to hear you liked it.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:59 PM
Ku-Meeeeeeeeezzzzzz
central tx
Joined Apr 2009
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
How slow and floaty is this plane compared to a similar size balsa plane like the 3DHS 48" Extra or Edge? Do you feel like you can comfortably fly this plane in a smaller area than the similar size balsa planes, or are they pretty similar in that regard? Thanks.
very slow and very floaty to comfortably fly in tight spaces would depend on your stix skills. i would guess the average pilot needs to fly this at the club or a good sized park, no less than a baseball diamond i would guess. this plane is only 48 in but it flies much bigger than that, it truly flies like my 40% extra
Elixir220 is offline Find More Posts by Elixir220
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,867 Posts
I guess I shouldn't confess that I am almost complete with the build on mine (had to build dad's first for his Xmas present) and I'm thinking of going and maidening it under the lights at a local parking lot ... lol.

Can you say bad idea, especially after some wine
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:13 PM
My Son, My Hero, My Marine
United States, GA, Rincon
Joined May 2011
285 Posts
OMG, this plane is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from the field and my grandson couldn't stop talking about how smooth this plane flies and how he was comfortable with it after only 2 batteries. Heck it even inspired confidence in me just watching him fly it.
Two suggestions Ben:
1. Call the factory and tell them to start working 3 shifts because you will not be able to keep this plane in stock once the word gets out. You better bring a full shipping container to SEFF because you have just won the World Series, the Super Bowl and the Kentucky Derby all rolled into one.
2. Please ask the factory to leave off the front piece of foam and pack it separately with the wheel pants. It would make the motor installation a heck of a lot easier. I had to cut the top and two sides and peel it down in order to get access for the motor installation. Then I used the Welders to put it back together.
Okay, here's our equipment list:
Motrolfly 2815-950 Kv
Castle Ice 50 Amp ESC
(4) Hitec HS-5065MG digital servos
Power Edge 3 cell 2200mAh 30c (181grams/6.30 oz.)
41.80 oz. total flying weight
With a 13 x 6 Xoar we recorded 46.1 amps, 508.9 watts, 12.35 volts no load, 10.90 volts under load on the Watt's Up meter. This equated to 194.24 watts/lb.
We started out with the battery up against the fire wall but after 4 packs it was positioned with the back of the pack directly under the first cross member going aft.
We used 2 rubber bands doubled and then doubled again to retain the wings and give shock absorbancy in case of a collision with terra firma.
I used INSTA-FLEX flexible CA on the hinges followed by a shot of INSTA-SET accelerator. All hinges passed the pull test after 30 seconds.
I added small thick CA fillets on all four sides of the aileron servo plywood doublers only because they rocked as the ailerons where going lock to lock. The left side was actually a little short on glue.
That's all for now.

Alec
Motrolflyer is offline Find More Posts by Motrolflyer
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:36 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Guys I've got a new (15 flights) Motrolfly 2815-850 for sale. Offering on some 3DHS threads that it would fly on before I go to Classifieds.

Flies a 13x6.5 or 14x7 at around 400-420W on a 25-30C 2200 3S. Not quite the power of the 950, which I now own, but might work on this plane okay. I flew it on my new AJ Yak, but wanted more hard vertical and tumbling power. With that big cowl was a tad slower than I wanted.

PM if interested. Thanks
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:41 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Guys I've got a new (15 flights) Motrolfly 2815-850 for sale. Offering on some 3DHS threads that it would fly on before I go to Classifieds.

Flies a 13x6.5 or 14x7 at around 400-420W on a 25-30C 2200 3S. Not quite the power of the 950, which I now own, but might work on this plane okay. I flew it on my new AJ Yak, but wanted more hard vertical and tumbling power. With that big cowl was a tad slower than I wanted.

PM if interested. Thanks
"wanted more hard vertical and tumbling power" Now that's what I'm talking about
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:43 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
My packs arrived today! I should be able to the Deans soldered on and be ready for a weekend maiden. The only draw back to this plan is 25+mph winds are being forecast. I hoping the wind will calm towards evening and I can get this bad boy in the air.

Brill
Brill 1 is online now Find More Posts by Brill 1
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Yea they need to make the front motor foam able to come off because my motor box cracked in 3 diff spots and it was hard to glue but i got glue on it they were only harline cracks nothing to serious.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:00 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,867 Posts
Well guys, when that little voice tells you not to do something, you should probably listen I just knocked the new off my extra. Decided to go maiden it under the lights at a local parking lot. I actually did pretty good, but realized, ya know, these light polls aren't that high, so the light wasn't up very high.

Well harriered and hovered it around a little. I even did a few rollers. Then I decided to do a lot KE pass and a few 4 point rolls. Well, the last 4 point roll did me in. Ran out of room, pulled up, and into a tree. It started to fall out, great, I'll fly it out, added power and bam! right into the ground, nose first. Ripped the motor and firewall right out. Oh well, time to see if my skills can repair it or not.
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:06 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
I feel your pain. Mine died on maiden due a rx failure, now I'm saving pennies again for a replacement airframe.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:08 PM
Joined May 2011
285 Posts
Motrolfly 2815-850

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post

PM if interested. Thanks
We own one of these motors also. We have it installed in a Multiplex Fun Cub and run it on 3 cells with a 13 x 6.5 APC. But in talking with Ken, he really considers this a 4 cell motor. Tried a 4 cell and he was right. Propped it down to 12 x 6 and it really came alive. The only problem was the added weight messed up the CG and the wings couldn't take the added g load in a dive. But in the right plane I'm sure it would be excellent.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined May 2011
285 Posts
[QUOTE=CrashesALot;20267466]Well guys, when that little voice tells you not to do something, you should probably listen

I guess that LITTLE voice just wasn't loud enough for ya, was it?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:53 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
That little voice is always yelling "More throttle!" to me. But I'm sure I'm not alone.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun