HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Save your cash and get something like this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Use your extra money for more batteries or things you really need. I have two of those chargers and they work great. You can charge up to 5 amps, which will charge a 3S 2200 battery in about 15 minutes depending on the discharge level.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:40 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I was asking to see if your charger would tell you how many milliamps you put back into the pack. that is a good way to determine how much of the pack you used for your timed flight. Your's probably doesn't do this.

Otherwise, a fully charged LiPo cell is 4.2 volts. Your 3 cell pack will be three of those so 12.6 volts fully charged. 3.7 volts per cell is nominal voltage and I wouldn't discharge the batteries below 3.3 volts per cell.

After your flight, measure the voltage of the pack and divide by three to determine the voltage per cell. If it is too low, reduce your flight time.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I'm not sure on the minimum voltage of LiPo's. Some say never discharge them below 3 volts per cell but I've also seen never go below 3.2 volts per cell.

If you discharge the LiPo too low it will damage it and it could possibly rupture and catch on fire during your next charge.

Being conservative on how low you discharge the LiPo will pay off with the LiPo lasting longer for you
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:54 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I'm not sure on the minimum voltage of LiPo's. Some say never discharge them below 3 volts per cell but I've also seen never go below 3.2 volts per cell.

If you discharge the LiPo too low it will damage it and it could possibly rupture and catch on fire during your next charge.

Being conservative on how low you discharge the LiPo will pay off with the LiPo lasting longer for you
Ok so you jsut never take yours under 3.2 then thats what ill do all the longer they last.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
When the book say 4.5 inches up do they mean 4.5 inches starting at the wing tube in the plane?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killsdeer4fun View Post
Save your cash and get something like this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Use your extra money for more batteries or things you really need. I have two of those chargers and they work great. You can charge up to 5 amps, which will charge a 3S 2200 battery in about 15 minutes depending on the discharge level.
yes many people have been telling me to get this instead i guess i will do so then.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:59 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Nope

Start measuring at the leading edge of the wing. The front edge of the wing. Do your measuerments where the wing meets the fuselage. Put a mark on the wing at 4.5 inches.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:09 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Nope

Start measuring at the leading edge of the wing. The front edge of the wing. Do your measuerments where the wing meets the fuselage. Put a mark on the wing at 4.5 inches.
ok so when i find that mark on the plane do i put that line at the center of the length of the battery or one of the edges of the battery? You understand what im asking?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Its too cold to drive 15 min to that park so we are gonna drive 5 min to a little bit smaller park. So we arnt going to bother with the super cub. We are going there and flying my one battery and thats it. The super cub has a 1300mah 15c 3-cell lipo so could i get 3 min off that battery, or would it just be not worth it because its 15c, or should i just try it put it on 3 min and see if what i think since its only 15c?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
put your fingers on that line on each wing and lift the plane. You should have your battery and canopy installed. You want the plane to balance on your fingers when they are on those marks. Shift your battery forward or back in order to get the plane to balance on your fingers on those two marks.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:34 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Don't try that smaller battery in the EPP edge. You probably won't get it to balance with it, 15C, 1300 mA is only 19.5 Amps. Your power system will pull more than that so you won't have enough power and you might damage that battery.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:51 PM
The loose nut behind the TX
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech View Post
If you have some electrical zip ties, that is more secure than the wimpy rubber bands they give to hold the wings together.
Just snip if you want to take the wings apart.

Me just leaves it together
Quote:
Good idea on the zip ties!
My last plane that required rubberbands I used a combo method....took a rubberband, looped it 4 times, then took two small zip ties and zip tied the loops together at opposite ends, effectively turning the single rubberband into a 4 strand bungee.

Still get the crash absorbency and additional security....all four strands have to break before you have a catastrophic wing failure.
JeffSchre is offline Find More Posts by JeffSchre
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:55 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSchre View Post
My last plane that required rubberbands I used a combo method....took a rubberband, looped it 4 times, then took two small zip ties and zip tied the loops together at opposite ends, effectively turning the single rubberband into a 4 strand bungee.

Still get the crash absorbency and additional security....all four strands have to break before you have a catastrophic wing failure.
Even better idea!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
The loose nut behind the TX
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
When the book say 4.5 inches up do they mean 4.5 inches starting at the wing tube in the plane?
Quote:
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
ok so when i find that mark on the plane do i put that line at the center of the length of the battery or one of the edges of the battery? You understand what im asking?
What Cmala means is with the Wings installed, measure from the front edge of the wings measure 4 1/2 inches and put a small dot on both wings where the wings meet the fuselage....these are your balance points.

(Technically with this being a midwing the marks should actually be on the top of the wings, since mid-wing, low wing planes are supposed to be balanced upside-down)

Then with battery and canopy installed, with a finger tip on both points pick the plane up and see if it balances, or tips forward or backward.

If it tips one direction or the other move the battery forward or backward in the plane until you get it to balance.
JeffSchre is offline Find More Posts by JeffSchre
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:15 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
don't try that smaller battery in the epp edge. You probably won't get it to balance with it, 15c, 1300 ma is only 19.5 amps. Your power system will pull more than that so you won't have enough power and you might damage that battery.
ok.