I like it, but for now I think I'll stick with the USA made 38" slick
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:48 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,767 Posts
Gotta love the epp foamies. Just ordered one.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:41 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,799 Posts
Hey, I think I read on a thread here that 3DHS recommend thin CA, thick CA and Welders adhesive glue for building and repairs. Can someone please tell me the following about Welders glue?

- basic glue type (i.e. is is polyurethane, expoxy, etc.)
- does it set on the hard side of flexible like 3M Scotch 6225N or the soft side of flexible like Uhu Por?
- is it safe to use with EPS (polystyrene) ?
- is it safe to use with Depron?

I appreciate any help here. Thanks.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:47 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
That's a good question.
Foam melting glue can be dangerous....
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:52 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
That's a good question.
Foam melting glue can be dangerous....
bleary, that's precisely why I asked . I don't yet know if 3DHS changed the main wing construction. I can see that the tail feathers are unchanged and therefore contain Depron sandwiched between layers of EPP. I am looking forward to seeing 3DHS' manual for the plane to see if they warn people about these issues. I expect they will since 3DHS manuals are very user-friendly.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:56 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
life is full of sneaky little swings and roundabouts isn't it?
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:31 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Welders works great w/ EPP. Does NOT play well with Depron and most other foams.I've tried it on Dollar Tree Foam, and it melts it like some sick, flesh-eating virus! Not sure about EPS, but I'd be doubtful. With EPP, it's strong, flexible (makes great hinges), and easy to use.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:46 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
In that case,be wary on hinges and control horns with it then,there is depron under the skin of these babies.That goes for CA also.
Poly glue in some areas and thin epoxy in others.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:06 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
there is depron under the skin of these babies.
That doesn't sound very crash friendly, and that's what epp is for.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:52 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Welders works great w/ EPP. Does NOT play well with Depron and most other foams.I've tried it on Dollar Tree Foam, and it melts it like some sick, flesh-eating virus! Not sure about EPS, but I'd be doubtful. With EPP, it's strong, flexible (makes great hinges), and easy to use.
Thanks EZglider. The Depron is in the tail, rudder, horizontal stabiliser and elevator only and is protected by a layer of EPP above and below, so Welders will be fine if it's used on the EPP alone. It's glues like thin CA that wick into the foam that can cause problems. I reckon that's why 3DHS are suggesting thick CA for parts of the build. I reckon the thin CA is for the hinges and for strengthening up the wood in areas like the motor mount.

If 3DHS' version uses the same construction as Skywing's then the main wing consists of an EPP skin with EPS underneath it, but the area where the hinges slot into is a bit of EPP with wood backing it, so you can use thin CA on the hinges SO LONG AS YOU ONLY USE A SMALL AMOUNT. IF YOU USE TOO MUCH THEN IT WILL EAT THE EPS BEHIND THE WOOD. ALSO, FOR THE CONTROL HORNS, ASSUMING THE SAME DESIGN AS A SKYWING KIT, THERE IS EPS UNDER THE EPP SKIN, SO USE MEDIUM OR THICK CA AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET IT RUN OFF THE WOOD AND SOAK THROUGH THE FOAM.
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 05, 2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Clarified a few things
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
That doesn't sound very crash friendly, and that's what epp is for.
Actually, it's a technique that has been used on Hokusei planes for a very long time and it works very well. The EPP protects the Depron. You're far more likely to break the wood in the fuselage than the Depron in the tail feathers, but in any case, these planes are easy to repair, so long as you use a glue that is compatible with the various types of foam!!!

For the record, my favourite glue for fixing Depron and/or EPP damage is 3M Scotch 6225N http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=218. This glue dries white and forms a strong but slightly flexible bond. It does a fantastic job of repairing Depron and will stick very well to CF and EPP, among many other things BUT IT EATS EPS. I use this 3M glue for almost all of my Skywing repairs, but I also use polyurethane glue or PVA glue to repair the EPS inside the main wing.

Well I'm talking about polyurethane glue, I'm not sure if 3DHS have strengthened up the landing gear mount area. I'm confident that they have since anyone that flies these planes from a rough field will know that the Skywing mount is not particularly strong, but there's an easy fix for this which I actually borrowed from my 3DHS 47" Velox manual; coat the wood with polyurethane glue and it makes it as tough as nails.

Right, well I've said enough about potential areas of concern without knowing the full details of 3DHS' version of the Skywing planes, so I'll wait for more information on their particular version before giving any more advice on potential trouble spots.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:41 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,560 Posts
Always appreciated GrooveJet.. I know your one guy that as pretty much played with all of these birds from other manufactures so your opinion is always valued.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:11 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Always appreciated GrooveJet.. I know your one guy that as pretty much played with all of these birds from other manufactures so your opinion is always valued.
+1

Thanks!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:47 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
I'm curious if the Omega 103 gram motor will work on this plane. I have an extra one sitting on the bench. I also have a 130 in my 3DHS 48 inch 1.5 Edge and its a rocket.

Would the 103 be a good lightweight setup of is it under powered?
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:57 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Can it swing a 13x6.5?,this size plane likes lots of watts.It fly's ok on 300,much better on 400+.
A lighter motor may make CG iffy also,however as Groovejet says,dunno on this version,just going by my Skywing Extra 300.130g minimum on that one.