SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:15 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMCARPETS View Post
sealing aileron hinges helps increase roll rate....
That s great idea. I had no clue and honestly I dont even know how to seal the hinges! let me know if it is not too complex. thanks.
ThreeDwannabe is offline Find More Posts by ThreeDwannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
With 65's at full travel with proper setup on 6+v...this plane rolls plenty fast to keep everyone happy in most cases. It's possible you're seeing the effects of low voltage to the servos or have set the linkages up so you've handicapped the servo's torque...

At full speed....does it roll faster or slower than if you are flying at half speed? (blowback test)
If I recall correctly, it rolls faster at slower speed but I am not 100% sure. does that mean low voltage to the servos? thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:05 AM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe View Post
That s great idea. I had no clue and honestly I dont even know how to seal the hinges! let me know if it is not too complex. thanks.
FIRST YOU GOT TO---(SEE ATTACHED THUMBNAIL) THEN CLICK LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=8QCKySI8yq4#!

you can use blenderm tape instead of clear ultracoat.buy it in drug store..some people even use scotch tape..put on under side of plane so it doesn't show
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Last edited by JDMCARPETS; Feb 10, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:56 AM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,058 Posts
you need the 1" http://www.healthykin.com/p-935-3m-b...ical-tape.aspx
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Jan 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
FIRST YOU GOT TO---(SEE ATTACHED THUMBNAIL) THEN CLICK LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=8QCKySI8yq4#!

you can use blenderm tape instead of clear ultracoat.buy it in drug store..some people even use scotch tape..put on under side of plane so it doesn't show
Great. I did see that video. it seems to be easy. what should I use on the foam though? thanks again.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:15 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
I think it is much slower than what you see on videos. I might add a Castle BEC 10amp but I need to find out if it is switchable. thanks
Here's the switchable BEC that I use:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ub2liin.html
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:02 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
What do you mean "switchable"?? Castle's are easily settable from 4v or so up to HIGH....using a castle-link USB programmer is easy.

If you want to "not-use" the BEC in your speedo....just lift the tiny tab on the black servo connector and pull the red wire out....tape it or shrink wrap it....you can always put it back in if you want to later....leave the black and signal wires alone.....voila...now you can use another power source for your radio....cue up the Castle BEC. I usually just wire the castle BEC up on the main power wires near where they enter the speedo by cutting a small piece of insulation away....on the outside of the wires and close enough to the ESC so there's no way these bare spots could ever touch each other.....then put a small piece of heat shrink over it and you're done. I've successfully ran 65mg's to well over 7v for a lot of flights before....but your mileage may vary.....they are very reliable at 6.5v.......and very fast and powerful....

You should see em at 8+ volts...stupid fast and power....but they may not last long...

Get your servos up to at least 6v....much better.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:13 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
Quote:
I think it is much slower than what you see on videos. I might add a Castle BEC 10amp but I need to find out if it is switchable. thanks
I think he means switch-mode.....
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:32 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
The ad copy says its switchable between 4.8 and 6v. In reality, you move that little jumper to make it 6v.

I don't think it's talking about the DC/DC conversion.

That's good to know about the Castle BECs, though. I didn't know they put anything but 4.8v out. The LHS carries them, so if I need one in a pinch I may pick one up.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
What do you mean "switchable"?? Castle's are easily settable from 4v or so up to HIGH....using a castle-link USB programmer is easy.

If you want to "not-use" the BEC in your speedo....just lift the tiny tab on the black servo connector and pull the red wire out....tape it or shrink wrap it....you can always put it back in if you want to later....leave the black and signal wires alone.....voila...now you can use another power source for your radio....cue up the Castle BEC. I usually just wire the castle BEC up on the main power wires near where they enter the speedo by cutting a small piece of insulation away....on the outside of the wires and close enough to the ESC so there's no way these bare spots could ever touch each other.....then put a small piece of heat shrink over it and you're done. I've successfully ran 65mg's to well over 7v for a lot of flights before....but your mileage may vary.....they are very reliable at 6.5v.......and very fast and powerful....

You should see em at 8+ volts...stupid fast and power....but they may not last long...

Get your servos up to at least 6v....much better.
Hey Bivens, thanks for replying. is using a castle-link USB programmer the only way? I thought it would be easier and can switch to high voltage by playing with the throttle and hearing some beeps!! I guess I need to read more and at least review their manual...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:54 AM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Hey Bivens, thanks for replying. is using a castle-link USB programmer the only way? I thought it would be easier and can switch to high voltage by playing with the throttle and hearing some beeps!! I guess I need to read more and at least review their manual...
With the bec's the only ways I know of are with the USB programmer or the field programming card , only the esc's can be done with the throttle stick.
jamesrini is offline Find More Posts by jamesrini
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:33 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
Yep.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:53 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,396 Posts
Hey guys, just sat down this evening with my new Extra, blinked and its almost finished.

Question in regards to the extended servo arms 3DHS recommends, use or not needed?

Running HS-65 mgs on 6 volts. Didn't find much info on them.

Thanks in advance!

It is a really good looking machine!!
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:12 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
Just max out the epa's, get the most throw you can on your arms...fly it...see if you want more throw. No problem.
RCG Plus Member