HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:37 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,034 Posts
Thanks for the servo feedback. Just checking to see if what I have on hand would work.
I'll add those to the order too.

This is all new to me and I really appreciate everyones input!

Should be fun.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:37 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Main wing and tail area construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
This post says depron. Not arguing as I don't know, I just was making sure I wasn't making it up myself

But at any rate, we know to only use Welders on the outer skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrini View Post
Yea I know Im only going off my memory I saw the plane for a little and flew it for one battery. Then someone ke it into a tree and I got to see the inside off the leading edge lol. I think the depron is in the tail but in not positive i only saw the protoype, we will see tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrini View Post
After reading that post again ,There could be depron towards the trailing edged I didn't see that far into the wing the tree branch only bit off a few inches of the leading edge

Guys, please read posts #55 and #56. I put that info into this thread you help you out, assuming the 3DHS version has the same construction as the Skywing versions. Until you get official word that it doesn't, I encourage you to assume it does.

For the time being, it would be good if tominator could add that info to the first post, by linking to it etc. as until 3DHS clarify that their version of the Skywing plane uses different construction materials to the Skywing ones, I will assume the materials are the same.

Some of us Aussies have been flying Skywing planes in general for about 2 years and these 48" ones for almost a year, so we have extensive experience with Skywing's construction methods and have repaired their assorted planes many times. There is lots of info on the Skywing threads that should help you out at times, so please search those threads for tips etc. Otherwise, contact 3DHS since they will support their product.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:18 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Quote:
I'd have to say nope. Those wont be strong enough for a 3D plane this weight... actually they wouldn't even be strong enough for a 3D plane that weighed 10 ounces less than this.
The Tower Pro MG90 servos are rated at the same torque as the HS-65MG servos...and are rated to be quicker. The MG90 servos have performed well on my two Kalteisen EPP Extra 260. The Kalteisen EPP Extra 260 is a 44" airplane, with an AUW of 32 oz.

Kalteisen EPP Extra 260 Yellow - August 7, 2010 (6 min 55 sec)

Kalteisen EPP Extra 260 - June 10, 2010 (5 min 3 sec)

After 300+ flights and a few hard crashes, the MG90s are still running strong. I have to beg to differ .
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:18 AM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,669 Posts
Some pics of this bird from HEF...
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:46 AM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
This is what I've been waiting for in a foamy. I'm going to see if the guys at the RC Today Show Podcast will let me do a review of it!

Of course, I'll see if 3D Hobby Shop is cool with it too.
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:59 AM
RCTC
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Feb 2005
49 Posts
sub'ed
rctc is offline Find More Posts by rctc
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:07 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
International Customers

ADC Hobby Store has these up for PRE-ORDER as the first shipment will be on it's way shortly. Feel free to contact me with any questions, etc.

Rob
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:01 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
The Tower Pro MG90 servos are rated at the same torque as the HS-65MG servos...and are rated to be quicker. The MG90 servos have performed well on my two Kalteisen EPP Extra 260. The Kalteisen EPP Extra 260 is a 44" airplane, with an AUW of 32 oz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LxL9WobEQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePY_ay7Zfjw

After 300+ flights and a few hard crashes, the MG90s are still running strong. I have to beg to differ .
Yeah he said 9G Tower Pro, and when I searched that this was the first thing I saw.

At any rate... not sure why they call the larger one the MG90 9G, as they weigh 14 grams. At any rate, I tried them in the ailerons of my Buck Huck, and the ones I got are significantly slower than the HS-65s in the tail. I was pretty disappointed too, as they were stated to be faster.

The MG90s would work in the 48" Extra I suppose... but from my experience I think it would be a real trade of performance.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:19 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I misunderstood as well and was thinking of the 9gram servos. My experience with the HK servos is that their specs don't really mean much as far as speed and torque ratings.

I've had some that had a faster speed rating than a similar Hitec servo but side by side comparisions show something completely different. I have not tested many of their servos and I have not seen the MG90's so I can't comment specifically on those but I think my general understanding of the quality, speed, and torque of hobby king servos is correct. Maybe one day I'll be proven wrong.

Is this the servo you are talking about?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9392
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:22 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I use the cheap servos in planes like foamy park jets. They are well suited for that. Fly, turn, straight, turn, straight, turn, roll, stop rolling, etc. The precision doesn't really affect me that much with that type of flying.

If I'm trying to fly knife edge down the runway and see how close to the ground I can get the wing tip I like better servos.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:48 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
Is this the servo you are talking about?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9392
Pretty sure he was talking about these. I've got a few of them sitting in a box in my plane room closet... I was really stoked by the specs, and they seem strong enough, but the speed just isn't there.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:51 AM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
What about these: http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg90s.html
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:09 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Yeah he said 9G Tower Pro, and when I searched that this was the first thing I saw.

At any rate... not sure why they call the larger one the MG90 9G, as they weigh 14 grams. At any rate, I tried them in the ailerons of my Buck Huck, and the ones I got are significantly slower than the HS-65s in the tail. I was pretty disappointed too, as they were stated to be faster.

The MG90s would work in the 48" Extra I suppose... but from my experience I think it would be a real trade of performance.
I've tried the MG90. They suck. Never buy again even though they are much cheaper than HS65MG.

It's possible to get a used HS 65MG for less than $15 each that still work way better than a brand new MG 90 (~$7.00)

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
753 Posts
ben beyer,
the mg90s is worse than the mg90 (less torque). the mg90 has a ball bearing and metal gears but the metal is softer than the metal used in "65's" and "85's" and like ALL METAL GEARS (except maybe titanium gears) will develop slop over time. then the hunting and overshoots seem to be worse or at least more noticeable and with the tower pro mg90 (aka... hxt's, grayson hobby's, turnigy's and others all made by tower pro) it just happens sooner. now if you could find the tp-16r digital with "karbonite gears" instead of metal gears (37 oz-in torque @ 4.8v)...

just my experience with more than my share of tp-mg90 servos
michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Dec 07, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: cuz
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:57 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
The Kool aid had arrived.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06