Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I think I may go with ADC Hobbies as they offer some of the electronics for less, and apparently can ship Priority Mail for $25. I'm just having a heck of a time making up my mind if I want this or the balsa Extra SHP.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:37 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
just get this one, if you crash it you stick some foam back together and glue it, you ccrash the 47" shp than you might have a really hard time repairing it or may be un repairible, this one also cost less but when your ready for a balsa air frame you can switch all those parts into a couple different air frame include the 47" shp if you wanted to.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
It has been ordered! I haven't read through this whole thread but I did skim a bit earlier, and saw that some people were having issues with using thin CA for the hinges. Before I go an order a bottle, since I can't buy it anywhere in town, are there other solutions that I should look at?

Also, how much room is there for the receiver? To save some $$ I'm thinking about moving the AR6200 I have in my Parkzone T-28 to this plane. The 6200 has a satellite receiver, and the radio compartment looks fairly tight.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:39 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
It has been ordered! I haven't read through this whole thread but I did skim a bit earlier, and saw that some people were having issues with using thin CA for the hinges. Before I go an order a bottle, since I can't buy it anywhere in town, are there other solutions that I should look at?

Also, how much room is there for the receiver? To save some $$ I'm thinking about moving the AR6200 I have in my Parkzone T-28 to this plane. The 6200 has a satellite receiver, and the radio compartment looks fairly tight.
There's enough room
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:58 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
ummm, i used i forget on the hinges it was medium ca i think, yes it was meduim ca and i used medium ca and welders for the whole build
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
That's still thin enough to soak in?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:46 PM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
I was weary about using regular (not foam safe) thin CA for the hinges but someone told me to use regular and even the picture it shows the guy using it. I just used 2 drops on each hinge and it was good to go almost right away. Use regular thin CA to secure the horiz stab to the fuse. Doesn't melt the foam at all. Just don't use kicker.

Quote:
BrightCap232 is online now Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:57 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
yep thin or med will work., and i had foam safe but still epp dont melt if its not foam safe.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:35 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
605 Posts
Quote:
Be careful using regular THIN CA on this plane guys. What 3D Hobby Shop doesn't tell you is that the inner foam WILL GET EATEN up by regular CA's AND Welders glue. The flat pieces like the rudder/elevator/stab/sfgs are made with 2 outside layers of EPP and an inside layer that doesn't play well. Also, the interior foam in the ailerons will get eaten as well, so I'd recommend medium CA when installing the aileron control horns. Thin wicks down in and just eats the inside of the aileron, so be careful. I'm pretty sure it's the same with the interior foam in the wings as well. I went with standard 2-part epoxy when my wing broke in half just to be safe and it's holding up like new. I'm not sure if Welders glue will eat the interior foam in the wings & ailerons, but I know it will eat the middle layer of the tail feathers for sure.

I haven't had any problems with the plane because of this, and I did build mine per the manual, but I think it should be known so that people don't accidentally do harm by using too much glue in the wrong planes, especially on repair work. It always sucks trying to glue two things back together only to watch it melt instead I'd hate to be without this plane for too long. It's too much fun
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:37 AM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
..posts #55 and 56 discuss the need to limit the use of thin CA in certain areas such as hinge slots and tail feather repair.
The inner material sandwiched between the EPP is Depron and will be attacked by the thin CA.

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
No problem for me than because I used foam safe CA for the hinges, Fabri-Tac and Welder for other parts during the assembling.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Ok I guess I will just order a bottle of thin CA and a bottle of foam safe Med CA. I found this: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/MEUM100F10G.html that says it's med-low viscosity so maybe it is thin enough to soak into the hinges.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:20 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
I had great planes med foam safe ca and all my hinges are still connected
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:06 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
This is what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horton View Post
We've been experimenting with glue for the hinges. Good luck with medium foam-safe CA on hinges. Get them started, then put a drop on each side of hinge. Insert the hinge the rest of the way and flex for max deflection. Tape the surface at neutral and let set for a half an hour or so.

Thin CA works as well, but the medium foam-safe will help fill the gaps and not turn brittle.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
This is what I did.
I think this is what I'll try as well. Thanks.