cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Drilled a hole down the wings with an old arrow shaft with a drill bit glued to it.
Spliced some micro deans on the harness and decided I need to pick up another set for the tail led so I can remove the driver to save weight while not in use.
I also decided against using the arrow ends to attach the wing tip bars and went with some nylon wire keepers and the SFG mounting hole instead. I think I can adjust tension and they rotate if I drag a wing tip and not break the bar. Need to pick up some smaller keepers as the 1/4" I had on hand require 2 pieces of split fuel tubing.
Going to try a foam wire keeper on the tail feather bar.
I'll post more pics when finished.
Please keep us posted on your setup. Might try this...
M.Putnam is online now Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot View Post
Speaking of crashing, in the main part of the fuse (from right behind where the turtledeck starts forward) is it just epp, or is there any depron in there? I need to do some decent repair work and I was planning on just using welders, but I know there is depron in the wings and a few other spots that will get eaten by the welders.
I've been wondering the same thing. Is it only EPP in the front of the fuselage? This plane sure could use some thicker ply up front.
mdv is online now Find More Posts by mdv
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Did a quick search but did not find the answer. After reading 30 pages, I stopped. So here is the question - can I use the E-Flite Park 450 890KV? I've this NIB motor and would love to pull the trigger on this bad boy as the daily flyer.
Even a 480 would be too small for this plane.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Does any1 have a video of a crash and damage done on this plane? Also how would it compare in durability to like a 32 epp edge. And how would it compare to balsa.

Lets say 32" epp edge Is a 10 and balsa is a 1 on the durability scale where does the 48 extra fall.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Just realized how rediculous of a question that is... But I want something bigger than a profile epp but don't wanna fly a balsa plane for a while.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Nov 2009
75 Posts
This plane is for you. It's bigger than a profile EPP but not a balsa.
Turbofans is offline Find More Posts by Turbofans
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,857 Posts
Dave,

I can't fully help you as I have no video, but here is the current state of my Extra. I can tell you this plane takes an extreme beating. If you need to repair it and you have a little skill, you can keep putting it back together.

I absolutely destroyed my motorbox on my maiden (tried flying it at night, lighted only by some dim parking lot lights ... went vertical after the end of a straight away and went right into a tree . That is where the big chunk came out of the wing. I used the throttle to get out of the tree, but it was pointing straight down and so I went nose first into the pavement). I repaired everything within an hour or two and it flew great (a miracle considering the firewall was in a bazillion pieces and I never bought the replacement motorbox kit for it) ... read as the motor was about 10 feet from the plane

She flew great with minor bumps and abuse until this past weekend where I was doing fast rollers (I would call them rifle rollers, but they are no where as fast as Wamsy's or Joe's), when I was about 7 feet up and I messed up and pulled when I should have pushed and nosed her in really really hard. It would have destroyed a balsa plane.

The pics show the current state, and with about an hour or so of work, I am hoping she'll be back to new (unless I decide to wait for a new fire wall).

I hope this helps.

Mike
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,397 Posts
Mine is coming on Friday, can't wait. I flew a friends and it fly more like balsa than any of my foamies or profiles, yet it slows down so nicely and is so predictable. The only issue I could see was the firewall and motor mounting screws and the landing gear seemed weak
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:41 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,857 Posts
Don't worry about the firewall, I think it is plenty strong enough. Mine was fine (except for the strong impacts with the ground ... lol)
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
480 Posts
Despite what others are saying, I don't think this plane can handle much of a crash. I have nosed my Telink Yak in much harder with no damage. I would rather fly this than the Yak but I'd much rather crash the Yak.
mdv is online now Find More Posts by mdv
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
Despite what others are saying, I don't think this plane can handle much of a crash. I have nosed my Telink Yak in much harder with no damage. I would rather fly this than the Yak but I'd much rather crash the Yak.
I don't know what a telink yak is but this plane is much more damage resistant than any of my balsa planes.

A profile foamy will take more abuse due to the reduced mass but you have more sacrifices in flying characteristics with a profile foamy.

This plane flys much closer to a balsa plane but is definitely more durable than balsa.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala