rc microlight crash (0 min 23 sec)
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
OUCH...

What'd you hit?

Beautiful build, by the way. I've been admiring from afar.
dadrab is offline Find More Posts by dadrab
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Thanks

just stalled it on takeoff so it did a sort of wingover and crashed,
was quite long grass so cushioned it abit
Old May 25, 2012, 02:28 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
been modifying my microlight lately to try and decrease the 'pitching' under power,
since i turned the prop the right way around the power has been too much for it
i know mods are supposed to be done one at a time but i was pretty confident all these would improve it.

first i removed 30mm off the rear of the sail to reduce the chord of the wing- this reduced the drag and improved the gliding ability,

secondly i reshaped the wing tips, then flexed the tips in abit and re-glued it so it tensioned the trailing edge,
again to reduce drag by having a tighter wing and smaller area wing tips.

I brought the motor up by roughly 20mm to bring the thrust line closer to the wing to reduce the pitching under power.

undercarriage legs were bend out abit to increase the wheel base and bring the back of the trike down abit.

wing cable mounts have been changed to 'tangs' to make cables easier to change and so they can be changed one at a time.

was lovely and still last night so got it out for a test,
What a difference!!
we chose a field with short grass so we could do proper takeoffs and landings,
it lifted off nice and smoothly with a push out of the bar and climbed nicely to about 200ft,
you could get it to pitch if you slammed the throttle open but when flown scale like it should be it flew like a dream!

landings were very easy and stable and could actually get the rear wheels to touch and keep the nose off the ground and then takeoff again! awesome fun

flew under a few goal posts aswell to show how controllable it is!

wing drag has been noticably reduced so 'keeps up' with the trike and not dragging slightly behind causing nose up attitudes.

ill get some video next time but really didnt think i was going to get anything worth filming last night so left it at home
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
Awesome work Mark! only just stumbled upon this. Having spent most of my Childhood around Microlights. i can say that this is an awesome RC version! Would love to have a crack a building one myself.
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:29 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
thanks chris
ive been stalling on doing anymore parts to the plan because ive been working quite alot on areas that im not happy with and dont want people to have to make things twice! lol
this version is still only the testing prototype and is always being changed slightly so i can try and get it to fly better and see what does what when its adjusted/altered

ive made some cosmetic changes lately as its starting to look pretty well used
i repainted a few parts, made some new fins for the back wheels, a new screen so you can see through it better on my next video and made a new instrument panel cus i broke the last one!
this ones even got a little foam radio

I also did something that ive been meaning to do for a while and that was to make a 'wrist' hinge for his hands, he could never bend properly in this area and it was restricting bar movement,
youll see in some of my videos that his hands arent even connected to the bar and this was the reason why,
these hinges work perfect though and has sorted that problem.

one of my servos has been playing up lately so now i know the wing can carry more weight easily im going to put in some mini or maybe standard MG servos in place of these micros,
think its abit too much to ask of micro servos but theyve done the job brilliantly up until now so maybe ill get away with a pair of mini Metal geared ones.

one bonus with going with bigger servos is that i can use longer arms,
and then because of the increased travel i can use longer springs so the trike will be able to move alot more freely and not transfer thrust forces up to the wing making for better pitch stability.. thats the theory anyway

working on some proper undercarriage legs as this was only meant to be temporary to get it up on its wheels,
new legs will be carbon struts and have suspension including the front one,
hopefully have a new onboard video within the next week too, cant wait to see the moving head from onboard! haha
Last edited by mark675; Jun 03, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:00 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
i forgot to mention about the twin wires i fitted from the wing steering arm down to the A-frame corners,
since i had the steering arm slip on the keel shaft that has been a bit that has worried me-
even though ive fitted a locknut on the other side of the bolt now i still wasnt 100% happy as this is the only way of steering the wing!

if this went at high altitude it would be very bad and require alot of running and searching lol

i fitted these twin wires as another way of stopping it slipping and these are bow tight so theres no way it can move,
makes me feel alot more confident with it now!

slowly eliminating these problems and hopefully some day soon itll be a worry free model that can be flown by anyone,

Im really loving this model, its what ive always wanted since i was a kid and having to build it myself has just made it even more satisfying,
looking at the onboard videos i get a real sense of flying a proper weightshift microlight and i get such a buzz from that, i cant get enough!
hope everyone else is enjoying it as much as i am
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:34 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
G'Day Mark
I'm still watching with great interest.good job mate.
Happy Landings
Chris............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:45 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
thanks for the support Chris
as soon as i get my new bigger servos ill make another onboard video with head movement,
cant wait to fly it again!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:03 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Im using the hitec hs225mg mini servos for wing control now so are a fair bit larger than the micros (hs65mg) i was using before,
the micros did the job pretty well but you could hear them straining a little sometimes so these should be more than up to the job.
ive made the new mounts for them and am just waiting for the weather to play ball now!

ive started on my new trike aswell today and have made the monopole already and made a drawing with dimensions etc for the plans.

theres another reason ive put larger servos in the trike aswell and this will become clear soon!
cant say too much yet cus dont wanna give it away
stay tuned!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
not meaning to bring this up again but our 'friend' mario is at it again
'worlds first topless microlight' hes claiming lmao!
does "worlds first" mean asking around your neighbours to see if theyve made one?!

if he did more research he'd find a guy in italy thats been making them for a long time! - among others but his are the best ive found

*** Topless Micro RC Trike - Microlight - World's First! *** (5 min 47 sec)

maxi deltamotore rc antonio damiani.AVI (1 min 41 sec)

what a legend
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
G'Day Mark
Don't worry about our good friend Mario.............We all know that he has invented everything first and better and neater and smarter and..................
Looking foward to your new project............keep up the good work.......
Happy Landings............
Chris........

PS That maxi looks pretty good..........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:53 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
LOL, yep he really is in a world of his own

thanks for the support Chris,
i made a mockup of the front suspension last night to see if it will work and im very happy with the results,
was going to go with some motorbike style telescopic forks on my final version but decided against the added complexity and weight and went with a simpler idea that is pretty similar to how some real microlights suspension works.

only thing added over my rigid design before is a short plate and a spring!

yeah that maxi is a lovely model,
id love to see it with a pilot in there and some scale details would look incredible!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:40 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
a few pics of the front suspension,
very ruff at the moment due to being cut out by a dremel and using any bolts that were lying around!
new version plates will be more slimline, made of titanium sheet for strength and with a smaller diameter spring.

works very smooth though with a pretty smooth rebound which i didnt really expect with no damping,
could always adjust damping by tightening the nut to provide friction damping though.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
made a quick release front strut today as the other one was held with a m2 nut and bolt which was abit of a pita to get out everytime u wanted to take the wing off!
i decided on a pin and clip idea but not wanting to loose the clip or pin i wired them together,
the real microlights have similar but a pin and a 'c' clip type thing.

only a small mod but has made it loads easier
Last edited by mark675; Jul 03, 2012 at 02:00 PM.