HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
thanks rich ive sent one back

Went to long marston today hoping to get the microlight up off a concrete runway but the weather turned nasty with high winds and rain
we hung on for abit though and everyone had dissapeared by the time the rain stopped!
even all the modellers had packed up and left leaving a empty runway (bit cheeky i know)

the winds stayed pretty strong but decided to get it up anyway
It handled the wind pretty well but was very sideways at times coming in to land! lol

managed to get my wife to film, but is abit out of focus

http://youtu.be/B3Nk8VzSdQg?hd=1
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Great flying, Mark
That wind was certainly swirling around! I can see that you had at least one very keen supporter!
Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:06 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks Ted
its a shame that on the video you cant see just how sideways it was coming in to land, was good fun

yeah my little Emmas a great supporter of the 'micronight' as she calls it,
always moaning about being cold though (like her mum!)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Heres the next part of the plans for the wing,
the nose connector
the hole at the front is just to lighten it up,
i made it 4mm so the 5mm keel doesnt push right through.

i recommend using a tough material for this as in a tip over it is almost always what touches down first.
aluminium will just wear away and dent too easy
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
heres the 'washout strut' holders i made which im not going to do a proper drawing for as the way ive designed it it will be fairly difficult to do without a wire eroder (but not impossible)
if anyone wants the proper plans i will do some, but for now ill just post the pics and description of what they have to do.

all the piece does is hold the washout struts to the leading edge and up at a slight angle, i made the clamping part so they can be adjusted and easily removable but now ive got the correct angle they dont need to be adjusted.

a piece of plastic with a 5mm hole drilled through and another 5mm hole drilled through at 90 degrees to that one will do and then just glue it to the leading edge maybe?
up to you how to do it but photos are below for ideas
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:23 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
378 Posts
Mark

Those parts are beautifully made.....mine wil look a tad more "agricultural"!!

Your wife took some super video, you look to have the handling really well sorted.
I hope you can bring this with you in a couple of weeks....I know there are a few people who would love to see it.

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks Rich
doesnt matter what it looks like as long as it does the job
make sure you guys that are building one post some pics as you go along though, id love to see them!

ill definately bring it to the autogyro meet Rich really looking forward to seing those!

Sorry for delay in posting up new parts to the plans im still moving bits around and learning what certain changes make to the way it flies (and having a whale of a time doing it )
ive moved the kingpost and 'a' frame mount backwards towards the hangbracket now i know the final hangpoint position,
i needed the gap before to allow for forward adjustment of the hangpoint if needed.

looks alot better close to the hangpoint and allows me to make the alloy sleeve (over the keel) shorter to loose some weight and make the distance from the steering plate to the 'a' frame mount shorter making it more rigid for better wing control.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:48 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
been thinking about getting a more powerful motor to increase the climb rate of the microlight..
but then i thought why not just turn the prop round the right way instead

been like that from the first test

hopefully get out and test again later! lol

EDIT: just took it out the front of my house and gave it some throttle and its got plenty of thrust now!
went up the road so fast its a good job i left the wing off else it would of took off! lol
Last edited by mark675; Mar 21, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
gave it a good test flight tonight with the prop on the right way...

its actually got too much power now!
3/4 to full throttle is definately a no-go area!
if you hit full throttle from level flight it will do loops!
i managed about 10 successful loops and one that was too slow so tumbled from about 150-200ft right to the ground!
i walked over to where it crashed laughing but expecting to find a pile of broken bits,
the only damage was the front strut had pulled out of the alloy connector so abit of CA glue on that bit and she was back up 5 mins later!
its a very strong aircraft even to survive the tumble nevermind the impact with the ground! lol

as you can imagine the climb rate is really good now and grass takeoffs are a piece of cake at just over 1/2 throttle,
its quieter and the batteries last far longer too!

the stability doesnt seem to be there since i moved the 'a' frame mount backwards so am gonna play about with the springs to try and get it trimmed out again.

gonna have to get some video of this thing looping though! its the craziest sight

real microlights can be capable of loops aswell but like mine can very quickly go wrong!

Ultralight Trike tumbling (0 min 16 sec)

Trike loops 1989.wmv (2 min 41 sec)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,711 Posts
G.Day Mark
I'm still watching with great interest. Looking at the video of your controll set up,I can see that it is similar to those on an autogyro. If Rich thinks that his parts my look a little 'agricultural' then I believe that my parts will be down right ''primitive',but I think that there is a good chance that they could be made from carbon and resin.
It looks as if you have the 'touch and go' just about sorted.
Happy Landings
Chris............
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:27 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks chris, yeah i feel im getting abit better at flying this thing so all the testing is paying off lol

carbon and resin backets sounds very interesting and sure to be light!
this is the reason id like you model makers to build one..
im an engineer first and model maker second so everything i make is out of metal lol

yeah the wing steering is like on the autogyros but more floating and crash resistant (if autogyros dont use springs that is? )
the microlight servos guide the direction the wing turns and the way the trike shifts but at trim position the trike should be able to swing freely under the wing,

this is what causes most handling problems in my limited experience,
if the trike is restricted at all it acts as if the wing and trike are 'as one' and will pitch the wing up when adding throttle making it stall and dive,

also the pendulum stability almost dissapears when the trike is free to swing around so lets the wing do its job of doing the stabilising,
when trike and wing are as one -so if its binding up or becoming coil bound on the springs- the trike overcomes the wing stability by creating a pendulum effect,
this will cause very bad handing and a swinging of the trike and wing in pitch or roll,
coming from a big bank angle the trike will swing back to the lowest point so fast it will swing past that point and create a rocking motion of the wing from side to side.

all this leads me to a problem with my microlight,
its really free in the roll motion so turns are no problem but since ive put the prop on the right way () and got increased thrust its highlighted a problem with the pitch,
it isnt free to float very much in the pitching motion and the reason is that the steering plate is mounted too far back from the hangpoint,
the reason i did this was to give it leverage.
yesterday i bent monopole forward as i had moved the aframe/kingpost mount backwards the day before lol
bending the monopole forwards meant i could get the 'a' frame to be less of a forward angle,
but bending it effectively moved the whole trike backwards while keeping the hangpoint the same, if you follow me
this meant that the servos are now further back from the hangpoint allowing me to bring the steering bracket alot closer to the hangpoint,
another bonus for this is that the servo arms move up and down less for any given pitch movement of the wing so the pilots control bar can now go from the front strut to the pilots chest without even moving the servo arms!
so waay more free than before,
im hoping this will increase climbing performance and natural pitch stability massively another test later will see if it has or not
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:25 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,711 Posts
G'.Day Mark
Well I have to tell you that your set up looks pretty good to me,and I also believe that you know what you are on about and I would be very happy to fly a machine like yours .I am pretty sure that I have all the bits required to make the model, and am keen and ready to go.
I have great stack of carbon arrow shafts ,and I am pretty sure that they can be used on the trike frame.
Happy Landings
Chris...........
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:01 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks Chris

I managed to fly it last night to test the changes ive made and its flying the best it ever has,
it was really smooth and stable.
my mates at the field said its gonna be hard getting it any better than that but im always one for a challenge

i tried a new camera angle aswell that ive been meaning to get for a while,
had abit of a crash though because the steering arm came loose on takeoff which meant i had no left/right control
ive put a locknut on the other side now to stop it happening again

there was no damage to the aircraft though so its good to go again
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, NC, Newland
Joined Nov 2005
91 Posts
Hi from the hills of Carolina (U.S.) Mark! I've been awed and amazed at your fine work of art with RC trike. I recently built my own design based upon the old original Quicksilver ultralight, once had a full scale about 30 yrs ago. I used blue foam sheet covered with packing tape and kite string for ground & flying wires, CF tubes for airframe. She flies quite scale,
2 axis control, very slow. Barbie doll as pilot !
1funwingflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1funwingflyer
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
That is brilliant!
looks far better than the quicksilver thats on the market!

looks very scale when in the air too, have you got any video would love to see it if you have,

thanks for the kind words,
regards,mark