HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:32 PM
Peterborough
Joined Feb 2009
161 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply explaining your setup, and I'll make sure that we let you know when we are having our next get together.

cheers

Ian
ismith2uk is offline Find More Posts by ismith2uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:21 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
no problem, look forward to it Ian.

heres a new video that shows the steering setup at the beginning

rc microlight steering layout and flying (1 min 32 sec)
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:21 PM
Peterborough
Joined Feb 2009
161 Posts
Thanks Mark, Excellent video, love the low passes over the camera at the end!!

I now see exactly how your servo links work, very ingenious. I guess its a bit like the trimmer on the latest P&M quiks, using a bungee to pull down on the rear of the keel.

cheers

Ian
ismith2uk is offline Find More Posts by ismith2uk
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:41 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
thanks ian, i havent seen the bungee on the new quik?
ive seen the electric motor that shifts the hang point forwards and backwards with a worm gear (if i remember correctly?)
looked into that myself to get the right trim speed but would of used a MG micro servo mounted on the wing keel
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:42 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
im starting the build of my new microlight now so all parts i make are going to be put on here with dimensions and pictures of the part and where it goes.
ill post pics later of the first bits so anyone that wants to build one can follow my lead

havent got any perticular order to the bits im going to be making but have started making some of the wing brackets, once all these are done its just a case of connecting them up with carbon rod and fishing trace wire.. oh and the 'fun' part of the wing covering lol
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
made this the other day, thought it would be cool on the onboard videos

moving pilot (0 min 34 sec)

EDIT: using the rudder channel now so his head turns with the front wheel, more progressive and easier to move while flying

moving pilot #new video# (0 min 39 sec)
Last edited by mark675; Mar 08, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:33 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Ok, heres the very start of the plans for my microlight,

some of the ways ive done things might not be do able by some people- not in a big headed way- its just that ive got alot of machinery to hand (spark eroders, wire eroders, lathes, millers.. etc etc)
but we're all model makers so i know you guys will make some things different to me and just use this as a guide, its up to you
id like to think some parts will be changed on other peoples, even if its just the pod and they use a different heli canopy purely for the fact that i want to see some slightly different looking trikes to mine

first part to be made is very simple if you have the tools,
its the bit that clamps the rear A-frame cables and also fastens the 'tang' that keeps the crossbar held back (see photo)

on my first microlight it was made of aluminium but on my new one its going to be titanium so ill drop the outer diameter down slightly to loose weight.

never had a problem with this bit on the microlight, just does the job and has withstood a few big crashes ..
gonna modify the cable clamping bit though to make it even stronger,
instead of a hole through the bolt that the cable goes through and clamps it im gonna use a tang to put the cables round and then just crimp them, doesnt make a difference to this first part though.

all dimensions on all the drawings throughout will be metric
Last edited by mark675; Mar 08, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Now I understand, Mark - you've got this real miniaturised man who has been flying the machine and you've been PRETENDING to fly it by RC!
Very realistic (does he say much or keep his mind on the flying)
Really great.
Looking forward to the build (oh and are you breeding any of those little guys?!!)
Cheers Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:11 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
LOL! you got me Ted

ive started my next pilot already,
going to have a realistic microlight helmet this time for the scale look.

helmet started out the same as my other motox style one off a taiyo rc dirtbike,
took the suit off him too as it looks alot like a flying suit

chopped off the chin piece and some of the peak and dremeled out the headphone holes,
headphones were made of rubber grommets and some small velcro coins, mic boom was made from a small piece of foam and a 1.5mm hex key bent and chopped up.

got to paint it white, make a visor and put some details on yet though
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:13 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
373 Posts
Hi Mark

Really pleased that you are publishing this for us all ....I will be following your thread closely and will put one of these together myself. As Ian mentioned it would be nice to see you and your microlight at one of the Autogyronut meetups...maybe we can convert you to the darkside!!

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
no problem Rich
cant wait to see some more being built and flown!

im already converted to the darkside! lol
i bought a rotorshape and a LA500 autogyro last year

havent done anything with them yet though as im not sure what electrics to put in the LA500 so have just left them in the garage for now

looking forward to getting them flying though so maybe some of you autogyro guys can recommend a brushless setup and servos to use?

i love unusual flying machines especially if theyre scale,
much more fun than the usual planks or pod and boom helis imo

definately up for coming to a autogyro meet Rich, would be a great day out!
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Have cut out most of the brackets for the wing today so will get some pics and measurements up over the weekend.

gonna try and find a cheap kite like the one i stole the carbon (or should i say fibreglass?) rods off for my last wing,
was 5 from the LHS, cant beat that

the wing frame shouldnt take very long at all, need to do some drilling tapping, milling and turning on the brackets ive cut out already and then once the carbon rods are sourced i can start putting it all together.

the sail is the most time consuming part but ive never liked working with material so thats probably why im rubbish at it! haha.

gonna get the aluminium for the trike frame on monday and start drilling and tapping the holes in that for all the various parts,

if i carry on like this the things gonna fly together! the scale details will probably take longer
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
havent had time for drawings this weekend, been having fun with friends, planes, helis and microlight in the sun
ill try and get some up tomorrow night for you guys.

had a flyby at the flying field today.. my dad in his p&m quik 912
was an awesome day
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
got the drawings roughly done but need to draw them out properly so you can actually use them lol.

wanted to try out my new strobe lights so done abit of night flying with it tonight
was great fun!

RC microlight night flying (2 min 3 sec)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
373 Posts
Mark you have a PM!!

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500