nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:54 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
thanks bill,
yeah it seems like common decency really if youve blatantly copied someones ideas and designs to mention it
oh well at least we know its a copy

i have started the plans so dont worry about that
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:15 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Ive asked the guy why he changed his whole direction that his microlight was going in to resort back to weightshift and a realistic style hang glider wing instead of his very swept high aspect ratio wing only a month after i released my video and pics and he hasnt answered this simple question

he answered when i first said the wing and steering looked familiar.. saying 'i had this idea years ago'

why couldnt he make it work though? and if he did get it to work he'd of gone in that direction like he has now wouldnt he??

instead he designed a 'special custom steering design' (wing warping) because weightshift wasnt an efficient or reliable way of steering these types of aircraft apparently.

quote from 2008: "I started with the typical ways of controlling using weight shift, but I found better ways and have not looked back since."
until now

now hes done a u turn and made one that looks incredibly similar to mine and totally different to his one before!

its definately no coincidence but like i said - i want people to make these microlights but not copy mine and claim it as their own design,
especially when this guy owns a rc upgrades business and will probably patent this design
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
ive put a bigger front wheel on the trike now so its the same size as the rear wheels,
it can now takeoff and land on grass without tipping which is a massive improvement and a lot of fun

was a lovely calm day today so made the most of it and did some adjustments to the hang point and steering arms,
it really flies the best it ever has done now and by moving the hangpoint backwards has really slowed it down,
ive got a big improvement in the climb rate aswell so overall im extremely happy with how its going!
now to take more measurements and put them in my little notebook haha!

the view as it was flying into the sunset made me kick myself for not having my camera with me
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:14 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
this weathers being really kind lately had another 6 flights today!

tried really thowing it around today and it responds to imputs really well and will get to huge bank angles with enough speed

tried some more power off glides too now ive shifted the hangpoint back and it glides lovely! really slow and controllable with a nice gradual decent

rc microlight test (1 min 49 sec)
Last edited by mark675; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added video
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
G'day Mark.
I can understand you being pissed off by some one taking credit for your design. I know because it has happened to me ,but on the other hand I think its great when people copy my designs and find that they work for them and they make small changes to suit there style. Plans can be a pain to dray up ,because I know that my designs usually start with a rough drawing that kind of ''grows'' by its self,but seem to take for ever to put to paper,and unfortunately people do not understand all the work that has gone into them. You have a great model there ,that you must be very satisfied with.
Happy Landings
Chris........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:24 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Chris,
yeah im over it now..if he wants to settle for copying others designs after trying for so long then i feel abit sorry for him really

your right about the plans but the trike is easy though.. as is the wing frame but trying to draw the sail dimensions isnt going to be too easy as its glued to the leading edge.
when i make my next one the sail will be sown so will have pockets for the leading edges to slide into so will remove this sail for measurement then so i can reproduce it,
but removing it now isnt an option as ive still got lots of testing to do

cheers,mark
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Hi, Mark
That's another great video of your flying machine! Making the spars removeable I am sure would be a good idea, particularly helping to make the machine more portable. I would take things slowly and iron out any problems before finally committing to paper.A great project.
Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:45 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,118 Posts
Mark: I am excited for you that bird is a sweet soaring machine. I for one am anxious to build one too.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:22 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
thanks bill and ted

yeah im going to do some more testing this weekend if the weather allows, the more flying the better to be honest as itll test the flying performance and the durability of all the parts,

hoping to try it off a concrete runway so i can do some touch and go's and taxi it around, will stick the camera in the back for that for definate!!

going to look into the double surface very soon so i can increase efficiency and the glide ratio even more,
gonna also play around with weight the weekend if i can and see how a lighter trike will handle ie if it will still have the steering response that the heavier trike offers, if it does ill lighten it up so it will fly even better then.

i enjoy this part cus its just little tweeks trying to improve it and then test to see what difference it makes,
didnt enjoy the building not knowing if it would fly stage!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
G.Day Mark
I know what you mean about building.....I personally enjoy building and find it most relaxing ,but only when I know that I am heading in the right direction,its when heading into the unknown that makes me feel uncomfortable...... I say this because I fly autogyros,and they can be tricky little devils until you get the bugs out,and any minor modification ''can'' cause major problems so good luck with your testing.
Happy Landings
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
its when heading into the unknown that makes me feel uncomfortable
thanks chris
thats exactly right,
sometimes i was making this wondering if i was wasting my time but i wasnt going to give up easily

i could of just copied someone elses wing design and made it easy for myself but prefer to go my own way to achieve what i set out to do

cheers,mark
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,118 Posts
Chris do you think this type of Delta kite will work as a wing ? It would make things so much easier on my end anyway.
Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
What length are the leading edges on that kite Bill?
mine are one meter exactly,
get a sheet of ripstop material and we can start making a proper wing step by step if you want?
ill post pictures of the next step/part as we go along? this can be my plans

I used white Spinnaker Rip-stop Nylon for the sail
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
Chris do you think this type of Delta kite will work as a wing ? It would make things so much easier on my end anyway.
Bill
Hi Bill!
Those tipe of wing is made for kite only...i am not sure if you could have godd results!...I have buy recentlly from this guy,
http://www.antoniodigiacomo.tk/ the plans for his deltaplane and i am verry happy!!!...i paid 15 euro for one copy..You could write him in english too!
Looks like is the same like KNEEBOY plane
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine