HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:56 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
cool thanks Chris
its a rigid assembly at the moment but all the hinges etc are there to allow the suspension,
im designing a compact damper to fit in that will allow it to give but not be springy and bounce when landing.

yeah a spare is a good idea chris,
my new wing that im making at the moment has quite a few mods to the framework and the brackets are alot lighter and more slimline

we're gonna keep improving it bit by bit
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:45 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
At the moment I am putting a "kit" together of the MK 2 version ,and by the look of the new pilot who is just about rearing to go, and I would not be suprised to see him pushing the rudder pedal by himself.
Happy Landings
Chris....
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Lol, love it Chris!!
just be careful that his arms dont bind up the movement of the aframe,
he needs to be flexible in the wrist area else it will restrict/hinder movement and make it fly horrible! lol
thats the reason i made the hinges in my pilots wrists, made a night and day difference

his hands mounted abit further in on the basebar will allow him to reach at full wing tilt too without his torso moving much,
no one wants a pilot that steers from his waist..very unrealistic.. its all in the arms lol

keep up the good work mate!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
This pilot is very flexible as I made it from a packing foam that moves very easy,with out puting any load on the servos. The hands even slide along the bar when at full tilt,and the body moves a little from side to side.
Chris...........
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:46 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
cool chris should work out well then
looking forward to the new video!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
I also hope to see the video soon
azucchi1970 is offline Find More Posts by azucchi1970
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
I was lucky to get away with no damage on this flight as the lipo became disconnected in flight.........but this is the stupid thing.......I new that the connection was in poor condition...but still decided to fly.
Happy Landings
Chris........
My Edited Video (0 min 54 sec)
Last edited by britinoz; Dec 25, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:31 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
oops!
they take a beating dont they!

the pilots looking really realistic the way he moves his arms, did you get the head moving yet?
love the kangaroo on the pod aswell! lol

merry christmas to all you guys, hope you all have a great time and a brilliant new year!
cheers
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
Yes I have managed to get the head moving ....it's just that he was a bit busy on that flight to look around.
Later that day I managed to give the trike a pretty heavy thump ,that has pit it out of action for a while.............but the good news is that ''Trike MK 2'' is now up and flying OK .I have made several mod's to the suspension and at the moment I am still using my first wing. After I get the second wing working correctly I will publish my build. I have a video of a hand launch and a couple of pics to sort out as soon as poss.
Happy Landings
Chris...........
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
RC Microlight hand launch and flight with MK 2 Trike. (7 min 48 sec)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
nice chris i saw the head turn! cool lol

not sure why it wont takeoff off the ground?
if you get abit of speed up and then pull back so he pushes the bar out (increasing aoa) it should lift straight off

i find getting abit of speed up first whilst keeping the bar in is the way to do it and then just push the bar out and the sudden increase in pressure will pop it straight up,
theres no need on concrete but longer grass takeoffs require it cus of the drag on the wheels, gotta get that front wheel to lift with abit of speed

and with the landings i try and reduce the power but not shut it off so altitude decrease and then when low increase it slightly to level off and then push the bar out when just about to touch down to flare and land slightly rear wheels first,
if power is off completely and decending all the way to the ground its likely to hit nose wheel first and tip over (especially on grass)

hope this helps

also have you found any springs yet?
i found when my springs were set in the wrong place (ie not even between the collets when at trim flying position) the aircraft would try and fall into turns unless you gave it power and opposite turn otherwise the turn would just get steeper and dive.
if you see in this video with them set correctly you can gently bank and itll just stay at that bank angle till you turn the other way or increase the bank,
it should be really relaxing to fly but seems abit like your having to actively fly yours?
not running it down i just want you to have maximum fun with it cus takeoffs and landings are mega fun with these microlights and it should almost fly itself

rc flexwing microlight ultralight trike #new video# (4 min 54 sec)

regards,mark
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
Yes.............. I am working hard to keep this model flying in a straight line.
The model is flying reasonably well........but it can be improved and I now have some springs that are the same size as yours and they will get a run soon.
I find the hand launch very easy.....but am having a few problems with the grass.....but I know practice will fix it OK
Happy Landings
Chris............
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:35 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
brilliant chris,
you'll notice an instant improvement of stability, climbing and easy of flying,
i couldnt believe the difference the longer springs made to mine and that was when i was already running springs but shorter ones,
the throttle will only control altitude then and not make the aircraft pitch up and down when giving it throttle and backing off,

i noticed the top steering arm didnt look level in the video and was leaning the wing to one side? was that because of trim?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:51 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
Mark
I think that the camera may be playing tricks with that top arm It's all nice and true.
To hot to fly today ....,about 35c and windy .... will try tomorrow nice and early with a couple of mods...............
Chris...................
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
After making more adjustments ,I think that I have this beast flying pretty sweet.
I found that my lines from the bar to the L/E of the wing , were not allowing the wing to flex enough , in fact I had a little anhedral on it , and that's why it was so hard to fly straight into the wind.. I had four full flight today ,but I forgot the camera .so next time out I hope to get some decent video.
Happy Landings
Chris........