HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:52 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
Hey Bro.....This is all Marks design...All the info is in this thread....and what is'an tMark helped me with.......I thought that you were up with this one...
Rich............Thanks for the info

Mark......yes as you see it does fly well. The topless ,is simply because I was belting the crap out of it ,so in the end I just simply removed the top assembly. It may go back on but it sure is a lot easier to handle now.
I have also removed the springs as I believe that the ones I was using were to light and it got to "bouncy" on the sticks {but I have stronger ones that may go on.}
But I think that my bigest problem all along was the fact that my servo arms were not long enough,and so I had very little control.The arms are now 40mm long.The wing tip movement now from top to bottom is now 23".before this it was only about12",so it just about drags on the ground at full deflection.
When I was flying yesteday ,I got into some lift and it went up like a rocket {bit scary} and I had to spin it down or I may have lost it.
The model is very "loose" as I believe it should be,but this does mean that the stick input has a bit of a delay berore the model responds......{ Is that correct ?? }
I hope to get a few more flights in the next couple of days ,just to get comfortable ,before fitting my pilot.and then I shall try for those in flight video's of the pilot at work...
Happy Landings
Chris............
Hi Chris
dont give me all the credit mate you have had to make brackets different,
you mounted the servos differently (which i never even thought of! lol)
and made it using much lighter materials as well as some other differences so you did a great job.
this is the sort of things that will make this model better with peoples fresh ideas.

it probably was the softness of the springs but the trike will be bouncy on the sticks if the movements arent smooth and deliberate if you know what i mean?
smoothly turn left for instance, balance the turn and then roll out smoothly back to level,
as you say though the soft springs definately wouldnt of helped as it was probably making you over compensate if it wasnt responding very well!

it will be abit more delayed if your used to a 'normal' plane with ailerons,
its not as direct ..even with the real ones theres a slight delay so its just the way they are,
the more you fly it the more youll get used to it and wont even think about it after a while.
this video shows it well how to setup the bank and let it come round the turn, balance it with more throttle or pitch if needed but smoothness is the key ive found and looks loads better.

rc weightshift microlight flying (1 min 46 sec)
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:49 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,759 Posts
Mark
That's nice flying....I must admit that your model is flying a lot smoother than mine. ow mine is up and running , I think that I'll now have to refine my controlls.I must admit that I have given this wing quite a pounding in the last couple of months...seems to have taken it well. After this one is up to scratch...will start on a trike that is a little more scale.
8 oclock in the morning ..and I'm of to fly
Chris...................
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,759 Posts
I had a couple of flights today ,and am getting the feel of this machine.....a lot smoother now.......just smoother application of imput.I was most impressed how this model handles the wind.....I am running a very small motor and into a pretty strong breeze....I would have thought that it would have been blown all over the place........no way . After my flights I found myself sourounded by a lot of disbeleavers.....bloody great... ... Now to fit the pilot..
Chris,,,,,,,,
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:46 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
thats brilliant news chris
yeah it does seem to handle the wind really well, when ive got my new wing finished ill take this old one out and see what sort of conditions it can get away with, should be fun! lol

the microlight always draws a crowd round by us aswell, people come over to see all the planes and get drawn to the microlight everytime
just abit out of the ordinary i suppose!

your onto a winner now chris the trikes the easy bit, so looking forward to seing the new one
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,759 Posts
Radio Control Model Microlight with onboard Cam (4 min 53 sec)

I managed to get some on board footage today came out OK ,but I must admit not as good as Mark's with his moving head. My pilot looks that scared as he never takes his eye's of what's directly ahead.
By adding the pilot ,the model is over 100gms heavier and so I find that I now need just about full power for the entire flight.
With a 1500 ma pack I get a 7 min flight.
This was also the first time that I have flown this model in a low wind condition and find that it took a long time to get unstuck.....I mean it did not like it......it is a real pleasure now to fly.
Happy Landings......... even with a bit of a tumble........
Chris...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:20 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
love it chris! was you pushing the bar out when trying to take off?
i normally get up abit of speed and then just pull the stick back and it lifts off?
it will take abit to come unstuck if no pushout depending on your angle of attack.

the added weight should only affect the trim speed really but i rememeber you said you was only runnung a small motor, what KV is it?

its impossible to misload a weightshift microlight like you can a regular plane,
when adding luggage the c of g needs to be right.. not so in a weightshift as the hangpoint is still the same,
all that will happen is the trike will hang more nose up or nose down depending on luggage position.

your trike should be the same but im wondering if removing the springs has changed this and the added weight in the front has made the aircraft nose heavy? needing full throttle to keep the nose up?
only way to change it would be to adjust the lengths of the arms or find some suitable springs.

have you played around with the hang point yet? dont worry about moving it but just do small movements at a time, id suggest maybe bringing it rearwards slightly

good work chris,

regards,mark
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,759 Posts
Mark
Thanks for that.......but I do feel a bit of a copy cat......and yes I was pushing the bar as my motor is working well over its recomended weight limit and I thought that it was never going to ROG
It's an EMAX CF 2822 /1200KV with a 9 X 4.7 SF prop and you can see in the pic's how small it rearly is.......so with a 1500 ma lipo I am getting a 7 min flight and with a 1800 ma I'm getting about10 min,
But with the weight of a pilot and the few bit's that have been now added...I find that the motor has to run flat chat all the time ....compared to before them it was only flying at around half throttle. So I do have a larger motor to try for the next outing.
I have played around with the wing ...and I did move it a little .
I 'm pretty sure that I can make some more inprovements in little steps I took these pic's today at the field just to show you where it's at now.. I just made a very simple nose set up out of thin card and film to try to clean up the front a little....but I must try harder........but a bit low light situation...........as a thunder storm was on its way. . bright lights and big rumble....very hot and sticky.
Chris...........
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:08 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Mark
Thanks for that.......but I do feel a bit of a copy cat......and yes I was pushing the bar as my motor is working well over its recomended weight limit and I thought that it was never going to ROG
It's an EMAX CF 2822 /1200KV with a 9 X 4.7 SF prop and you can see in the pic's how small it rearly is.......so with a 1500 ma lipo I am getting a 7 min flight and with a 1800 ma I'm getting about10 min,
But with the weight of a pilot and the few bit's that have been now added...I find that the motor has to run flat chat all the time ....compared to before them it was only flying at around half throttle. So I do have a larger motor to try for the next outing.
I 'm pretty sure that I can make some more inprovements in little steps I took these pic's today at the field just to show you where it's at now.. I just made a very simple nose set up out of thin card and film to try to clean up the front a little....but I must try harder........but a bit low light situation...........as a thunder storm was on its way. . bright lights and big rumble....very hot and sticky.
Chris...........
Your not a copycat i love the way youve made it different to mine and its looking awesome so just enjoy it!
some people just copy things and never give credit... but not you my friend,
i love seing pics of it, watching it fly and hearing how much your enjoying it it makes me very happy

im the same with other peoples rc microlights, im praising people all the time on you tube about them cus i just love watching them fly, amazing aircraft!

anyway.. im running a 960kv parkzone radian pro motor on mine with a master airscrew 3 blade prop which is 9" but cant remember the pitch.
its got plenty of power but only really using half throttle for straight and level.
Was waay too much power before i fitted the longer springs and you could loop it on command but now it climbs on full throttle like a rocket! lol

this is using a 3S 2200mah lipo though, i might try a smaller mah lipo to bring the weight down abit as flight time on this 2200 is rediculously long
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:59 AM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Mark
Chris...........
ypu could up the motor size to handle a 10 or 11 inch prop and maybe and extra cell on the battery to bring the flight length back out again. for my oversize beast I got a Himark 3526-830kva and I might be light on there as well, have a 5000mah 3 cell to drive it and may have to go to a 4 cell with a 12 inch prop.
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:01 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
hows the beast coming on Ritchie?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:23 PM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark675 View Post
hows the beast coming on Ritchie?
Still awaiting delivery from Germany.
will be giving them a call soon to get their buts into gear.

they sent some pics which I posted about a month ago, but not heard anything since.

Ritchie
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:26 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
get onto them Ritchie, cant wait to see it!

just looked at m*rio a*guell* 's new videos and seems hes not pleased with me using the flouro green colour on my new microlight as its a mia trademark..
im using flouro yellow actually which is a different colour...

speaking of copying.. loving the new spats.. very original

i also see he is planning to sell these in time for xmas.. 2012
he must be relieved after all these years that hes finally got one flying good enough to be able to sell them..

As a good will gesture im willing to let him send me a percentage of his profits for the help ive gave him over the past year and making these sales possible..

please contact me and ill give you the address to send money to

regards
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,759 Posts
Ready for Xmas 2012.......................It will never happen......trust me....that means that it should be ready to purchase NOW............
Chris....
PS new light weight pilot in my machine.....and what does his head do ?????
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:10 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Na probably not chris,
funny how he copies my whole microlight and then once its flying he adds his 'robot pilot' and calls the whole thing his design and says im copying his by making it flouro yellow?! its only a colour!! lol

haha cool chris, lets see a video of him

heres a sneak peak at my modified one, not quite finished yet though.
looks like not much has changed but there are alot of things different from the 'old' one, hope you guys like it

edit: ignore the cables hanging down thats just the side wires i hadnt connected back on yet lol
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,759 Posts
Mark
Looking good... Will the main wheel have any "bounce / spring" or is it a rigid assembly ? I find that yellow is just about the best colour to see in the sky for most cloud conditions and so most of my autogyros are this colour.
Azucchi1970 Alberto I have previously answered you P.M's and emails ...telling you that I have no plan for this model....but if you go to Marks other thread { RC Microlight plans & help} you will find all the information for this model.
In a few weeks I intend to build a second model {always have to have a spare} and I will give the info and pic's of how the construction was handled on that thread.
Happy Landings
Chris..........