HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
looks like he got it from here maybe? http://www.aviationproducts.de/e/scale/scale_7.html
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:48 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,706 Posts
That's the same!! no videos of them flying though
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
ulm romain (3 min 56 sec)

dont give up hope yet im sure this is the same company but a larger one
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,604 Posts
Rich.....I told you that it just won't fly .....so you should just pack it up an send it to me............and did I tell you that I rearly do like your hat
Your second best friend
Chris............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,706 Posts
Any photos, measurements that you may want to know just ask! I have 3 poor A4 sheets of sketches with CG positions etc shown.

Rich
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,604 Posts
Rich.......I thought would never ask........
Mark..... in #283 we see the model lift and roll to the left........I am sure that the pilot would have been giving right roll at this point......with no luck.....what would you say is the problem at this point ...thrust ??
Chris............
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,706 Posts
Chris,
With an IC engine we know they run anti clockwise, this would mean having to fit a pusher prop. This would cause a yaw reaction to the right ? even more with no vertical area to dampen the effect.

You know what we do with our pushers that are electric? I wonder if the same physics apply here and offset thrust should be used?

We think too much...I blame Bill and his Ipad

Rich
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
from what the builder of mine says, there are hex bolts on the tips of the wing which adjust the end spars. this can be loosened to compensate for drift or stability as described, he says when setting up the wing careful attention should be paid to these adjustments.

Could be the problem.
the right hand adjustment may have been set low which will roll the wing to the left.

Ritchie
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Looks like this one with a different colour scheme.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,604 Posts
Rich
This thrust question was one of the first thingthat I asked Mark about when I started on this project,and he was not aware of a problem. I did the 'Jochen "hang test and played with it a little ,but I have had the roll into the left a lot .I am even using large fins on my wheel pants.
Yes I do believe that it is a'' Bill'' thing ,but we should be safe over here for a while. Sorry Bill
Chris.....
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
its a Vampir 14 M
wing was sold to Guy M and serial N . 346
trike is also made by Aviation Products (347)

now we know its origins

this should fly like a dream
current cost is about 349 Euro for the wing and about 185 Euro for the trike.
now how good a bargain did you get?

I have on Order the Vampire 18 M in 1/5th scale, and cant wait for it to arrive.

Ritchie
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
its hard to say without seing his model and setup but im pretty sure the guys problem in the first video is way too much reflex in the back of the wing
this would cause a nose up attitude, almost like keep holding up elevator in a conventional plane after takeoff, maybe it just stalled the left wing?
the luff lines determine how much reflex there is in the trailing edge to keep it in a noseup attitude (the inboard battens have flexible area at the trailing edge to allow them to curve up)
the first hops seem ok because hes on low power so probably keeping angle of attack down abit?
still went to turn left though so maybe a trim problem or..

..im not sure if hes using solid struts to steer the wing, with a model this big and heavy id say some sort of flexible /movable link is pretty necessary.
judging by the 'kick' as it lifts off id say the trike is being held in position by the steering arms fixing the trike and wing together 'as one'
the trike should be able to 'swing through' as it lifts off as the trike should hang with the back wheels slightly lower than the front for stable landing, the engine weight makes it hang like this anyway.

i think some people try and make the wing and trike 'as one' and forget the wing needs to fly itself independantly and constantly find its trim position depending on speed etc
the trike should move seperately to the wing so it doesnt affect the wings natural pitch/roll stability until you need it too- i.e to turn!

real microlights movements arent restricted by anything and theyll fly 'hands off' in a straight line with no bar movements whatsoever (as long as the wings setup correctly)
apply power and theyll climb all on their own, the wing will alter its angle of attack slightly all on its own but the increase speed brings increased lift so youll go up.
for stable flying they need to be seperate else the trikes momentum (trying to swing) will affect the wing by being passed up the steering arms, flexible link will dampen these movements out.

my microlight under full power used to stall as the short springs couldnt allow the trike to move forward enough without increasing the wings angle of attack beyond the stall point,
fitting longer springs solved this completely but bought about the problem of the new longer springs taking out all roll input so longer servo arms were fitted to overcome the longer springs and all is rosey again!

hope this helps abit
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Mar 2005
27 Posts
trike structure

Hi all . My trike structure photos.
NIGHTMAN12 is offline Find More Posts by NIGHTMAN12
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:30 AM
Joined Mar 2005
27 Posts

The first picture
NIGHTMAN12 is offline Find More Posts by NIGHTMAN12
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,706 Posts
Ritchie,
Yes, the chap who I bought it off was Guy Monks from Bristol. It is all brand new and he never did anything with it. Well I paid 2/3 the cost of the trike for the whole lot including the pilot so I have a cracking deal
I will take some photos of the drawings but don't be expecting to much

Regards

Rich