SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Mark - thanks for that.

Mark, thanks a lot. i have had the idea in my mind for some time, now particularly as to producing a larger wingspan and I think your design has much to recommend it.
Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:19 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I like that please keep me in mind for the plans, I was struggling with how to attach the kite and operate the servos but YOU have made it simple GREAT JOB.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:21 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,688 Posts
Thanks Bill,
I might start drawing up plans now of the microlight..that way if other people make some too we will modify and cutomise them in different ways using others knowledge and itll just get better and better

Ill start with the wing though as this is what people seem most interested in
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:45 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,830 Posts
G'day Mark
Don't stop at the wing, good buddy................There are some of us who have been flying RC for over thirty years, that have not attempted this kind of project.It gets the blood moving and the little grey cells vibrating.
Happy Landings
Chris...............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:34 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,688 Posts
thanks chris,
ill be doing the plans for the trike aswell

sorry for delay in posting info on the wing my computer is being upgraded at the moment so am borrowing the wifes laptop lol
should have it back tomorrow or friday so will post some more pics and info then,
mark
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:35 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,688 Posts
double post lol
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:18 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,688 Posts
hoping to get out tomorrow morning and do some more testing before the wind picks up too much!

got my gopro hd mounted on the trike so hoping to get some good footage from over the pilots shoulder
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:54 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,688 Posts
got out early this morning and there was no wind whatsoever but was pretty cold so had to dress up warm

the microlight flew lovely, so smooth and responsive.. who said weight shift models cant be responsive?
gives you so much confidence that its going to do what you tell it to and takes a suprisingly small imput to get it to turn as you can see in the video,
its a lovely relaxing flyer although abit quicker with the gopro fitted

the lack of wind gave me a chance to test it properly and see how it behaves,
one thing i noticed is that when you put it into a bank it will keep that bank angle until you steer out of it or turn it tighter, it just go round in circles if you leave it lol
it doesnt like landing on the grass with the small front wheel, i hit a bump on the video so crashed but you have to slow it down alot for it to not tip over on grass (ie into wind)
resorted to catching it in the end
also it will cruise at half throttle and stay at the same height so thats not too bad,
did a few motor off glides aswell which im quite happy with, feel like youd be able to get it down if anything happened to the motor or esc

could do with a better climb rate tho so im going to have a look at a more powerful motor for it

fitted my go-pro hd in the backseat and did a flight and then put it on the pilots lap for the next one,
hoping to do some more angles tomorrow if the weather allows

hope you enjoy

radio controlled microlight onboard (4 min 19 sec)
Last edited by mark675; Dec 10, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:59 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
399 Posts
That is some great video ...looks really scale from both on board and from the ground.

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is online now Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:59 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,830 Posts
G'day Mark
Your camera operator does a great job. And you did a decent job also. I think that you are on a winner with that model. Is that a little frost I see?? I don't see to much of that in my part of the world.......
Happy Landings
Chris..............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:49 AM
Italy
Joined Dec 2005
39 Posts
It's a wonderful trike... It's cool!!!!

I'm waiting for plans!!!!!!!!
Creative78 is offline Find More Posts by Creative78
Last edited by Creative78; Dec 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Mark, great aircraft! camera operation really good and the view from the cockpit was really interesting and different.
Ted
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:40 AM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,688 Posts
thanks guys

yeah my girlfriend does a brilliant job on the camera,
she gets abit cold though on these winter mornings so if you see the camera shaking abit thats why!

looking at the onboard video ive noticed that his hands look rubbish and dont look like theyre actually holding the Aframe,
think i thought too much about this and how to let the bar move smoothly through its full left and right movement,
i didnt realise how little it has to move to get it to roll.

ive cut some foam hands off one of my rc bike riders and glued them on the Aframe and then just slipped his sleeves over the top which are a nice snug fit so shouldnt come off,

should look abit more realistic now from onboard and lost the weight of the old plastic hands and metal screws/collets etc too
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:02 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
How cool is that Mark - Looking forward to seeing your "pilot" 's next flight!
Ted