HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:02 AM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
No problem Ritchie
yeah best to make it too light as you can then add ballast where you like

regards,mark
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
mark, have sent a PM a while back.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchie_laird View Post
now you have just got the brain going again, does a scale hang glider fly at the scale speed of the original?
the brain says no.
so now i'm thinking what would it take to make it fly at scale speed as well?
Mark's engineering is exceptional, and it looks as if it might be possible to get an acceptable scale flying impression, however, air is the one thing we can't scale, so if you had a true scale model, it would not be able to fly at a true scale speed. If it was flown at the speed of the full size, and you took a video of it, then replayed the video at scale speed, you would be amazed how realistic it was. Most scale aircraft have tweaks such as larger control surfaces to allow them to fly at a reasonable but they will still be flying at much more than scale speed.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
Registered User
ritchie_laird's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazygit View Post
Mark's engineering is exceptional, and it looks as if it might be possible to get an acceptable scale flying impression, however, air is the one thing we can't scale, so if you had a true scale model, it would not be able to fly at a true scale speed. If it was flown at the speed of the full size, and you took a video of it, then replayed the video at scale speed, you would be amazed how realistic it was. Most scale aircraft have tweaks such as larger control surfaces to allow them to fly at a reasonable but they will still be flying at much more than scale speed.
i remember seeing one of Marks videos where the pilot head was also connected to the front wheel steering, as it flew overhead the head was turning and I really had to look close to see if it was a his model or a real one. great detail.
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:03 AM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
thanks Ritchie
should hopefully look even better now with all the mods ive done to it
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:45 AM
Registered User
ritchie_laird's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark675 View Post
thanks Ritchie
should hopefully look even better now with all the mods ive done to it
Mark, I'll have a guess, that you are going to amaze me again.
top work and keep it going.
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
i dunno about that ritchie
ive just added some more scale details and a few mods
hopefully have it done soon, been very busy lately lol
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:21 AM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
pm replied to Lazygit, sorry for delay
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:37 AM
Registered User
ritchie_laird's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark675 View Post
i dunno about that ritchie
ive just added some more scale details and a few mods
hopefully have it done soon, been very busy lately lol
they will be good with your craftsmanship Mark, the detail you put in shows.
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:19 PM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
thanks ritchie, i try my best! lol

im still working on this microlight and doing bits on the new one too
ive just made a couple of titanium battery mounts to try out as the other ones were just modified fuel tank mounts from the nitro build.

these just use an elastic band on each mount so changing the battery is as simple as pulling off the band on one end swap the battery and pulling the band back onto the hook.
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:14 AM
Registered User
ritchie_laird's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark675 View Post
thanks ritchie, i try my best! lol

im still working on this microlight and doing bits on the new one too
ive just made a couple of titanium battery mounts to try out as the other ones were just modified fuel tank mounts from the nitro build.

these just use an elastic band on each mount so changing the battery is as simple as pulling off the band on one end swap the battery and pulling the band back onto the hook.
thats a great idea Mark, might use that for my others like the quad.
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
lol, yeah it was the simplest way i could think of!
velcro always pulls off and gets annoying, seems the velcro is stronger than the adhesive side lol
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
managed to have my first microlight lesson today from long marston
absolutely loved it! best experience of my life so far
we found a big cloud at around 2000ft so had a fly around the outside of it and through some gaps in the middle,
absolutely breathtaking.

did a few stalls and two takeoff and landings too which was mega fun,

cant wait to do my next one!
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:54 PM
flexwing addict
mark675's Avatar
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
video from today

First microlight lesson (10 min 39 sec)
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:14 AM
Registered User
britinoz's Avatar
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
G'Day Mark.... .I hope that we are not going to loose you to the full size.............although I must admit that it did looks like a lot of fun................
Chris............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion rc microlight/ultralite/trike mark675 Scale Fuel Planes 151 Jul 19, 2012 05:00 AM
Build Log rc microlight /ultralight mark675 Scale Kit/Scratch Built 29 Mar 09, 2012 06:45 AM
rc microlight plans FlyingKiwi Electric Plane Talk 4 May 27, 2009 05:13 AM
Question Charlie's Microlight Series Classic II Rc Glider ?? old_dude Sailplane Talk 2 Sep 11, 2008 08:14 AM
Build Log rc microlight/ultralite/trike mark675 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 11 Aug 29, 2008 09:25 AM