midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
Discussion
rc microlight

Hi guys just thought id post a video and a few pics of my rc microlight,
hope you enjoy,
mark

radio controlled microlight / ultralight maiden flight! (1 min 49 sec)
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:15 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
397 Posts
Hi Mark

That looks great. The shape and profile of the wing looks really realistic when its flying, you've done a superb job. Where abouts in the Mids are you??

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:05 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
thanks rich

im from Redditch (not far from stratford)

my aim is to draw up some free plans when ive got it flying like i want it to so other people can make one too.
this version is just rough at the moment though for testing (apart from the brackets )
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:11 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
few more pics
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:53 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
G'Day Mark
That is a very nice project and I am sure you should be very happy with the finished model. Your metal work is of a very high standard and I congratulate you on your design.
I for one would be very happy to have a model like yours and am watching in a anticipation for you to publish you plans.Keep up the good work.
Happy Landings
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:02 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
397 Posts
Mark
Having looked through those pictures and seen the quality of your workmanship and design, I can see why it flies so well. You have obviously put a huge amount of time and effort into it. I too will be watching closely for your developments and would love to build one should the plans become available.
Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Very impressed, Mark
Will be following your progress with interest. I, personally am flying a Joel Schultz design which he calls "Hawkeye" which I use for aerial photography.
I am very interested in the wing design and the ability to penetrate wind.
Old Man Ted (75!) Northwich Cheshire UK
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:23 AM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Nice work ! Your fittings look bullet proof !
One ' thing' That I cant seem to visualize is how to get the weight shift to work on both axis at the same time . How is that done ?
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:56 AM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
thanks for all your kind comments guys
ive seen the hawkeye, seems to fly nice and stable so perfect for aerial photography
that one has a rudder doesnt it? if i remember rightly?

the wing is controlled by two savox mg servos which both push up to tilt the wing forward, both down to tilt back and work opposites for the steering.
theyll mix in tilting forward or backward with abit of steering too cus of the delta setting in the radio.

the carbon rods the servos steer through have got springs and collects on which act like servo savers and also allow the trike to swing about slightly in turbulent weather without really affecting the wing too much,
(see pic below)

also the steering arms- from the servos- turn the top steering bracket which is clamped to a alloy sleeve glued to the keel, this passes the steering through the alloy sleeve, down the 'Aframe' and up the flying wire to halfway up the leading edge which gives big leverage over the wing
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:02 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
hasnt been all smooth since the start though as this video shows, this was about 3 years ago
didnt really know what i was doing back then! lol

old microlight test (4 min 49 sec)
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Yes, Mark, the Hawkeye does use rudder steering but suffers from difficulty in wind penetration which has been somewhat improved by C.G. shift. I notice the spring "servo savers" which you are using as I am using similar on my beefed up Hawkeye which allows an even greater C,G. shift than the standard now being supplied. The forces on the servos cannot be underistimated and in your case as it is your only means of control must be carefully allowed for.
Your wing interests me and I would like a much bigger wing myself to carry a bigger payload(camera) than I am at present.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:12 PM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
Ive noticed the hawkeye uses more of a rogallo type wing which is maybe the reason for the lack of wind penetration as they are really draggy wings,

i made my wing with adjustable tension but i liked it abit on the tighter side, maybe not as much straight line stability but is more aerodynamic and better for turning response.

let me know if you want anymore pics or measurements/ angles etc and ill be happy to help out,

mark
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:59 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Mark, yes the make -up of your wing REALLY intrigues me. The way the spars are fastened to the "canvas/ripstop" and the physical dimensions of the wing I am sure would help in the wind penetration. As joel is a kite designer his design is based on a delta kite whereas your wing appears to be more like a full size microlight.

Ted
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:15 AM
scale microlights
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,687 Posts
ill get some more pics and some measurements for you tonight Ted
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:39 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,906 Posts
Interesting model Mark,

Put me on the list for a set of plans when you get chance create some, it flies excellent.

Rich (in Kiddy)
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings