HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 02:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Discussion
Need Help With Introductory 3D Model

Hello fellow Rc'ers. First off I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum but I feel this was the right place. I've been flying for some time now, and I feel i'm ready to move up. I'm looking for an introductory 3D aircraft. I've been looking at a couple of things here on the site but I'm still unsure of what to purchase. However, I do not want one of the weird "2d" as I call it foamies. I'm not against foam by any means. I would just like something that looks like a regular low wing aircraft, but can still manage some 3D. Below I will post the links to what I have been considering purchasing. Please, Please, Please, feel free to suggest any other aircraft.

Useful Info:
I have a Dx6i and looking to spend $300 or so.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Link Extra 300 from PZ

Link 2 MX2 from HK
jtcrowder49 is offline Find More Posts by jtcrowder49
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:23 AM
Norway, Rogaland, Sandnes
Joined Oct 2009
301 Posts
I got to fly my friends HK MX2 but it didn't fly good at all. That's about all I have to say about that plane. The PZ one I don't know much about. I know you said no EPP but I really think that's the best to start with. At least have an EPP together with a balsa one for practice.

The upcoming 48" EPP from 3DHS looks to me to be very promising. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=44971. From the look of it it's more then just flat foam. I think that would be a very good plane to learn 3D on. Specially since it'll take more beating then a pure balsa one. I've already preordered the 48" myself for outdoor use.

I also have a smaller 33" EPP that I have to say I've learned a lot from. Best money I've spent on a plane. I think it's even better money spent then a sim. It's also more fun and I can fly it over and over again without getting bored. I bought two initially last year thinking I would break one eventually. That never happened so I sold the backup. My first EPP is still solid.

If you go for a balsa plane there are many good options. I personally would go for one from 3DHS or EF. Specifically the Edge is a nice plane since it's solid on harriers and that's probably the first thing you should learn.
awry is offline Find More Posts by awry
Last edited by awry; Dec 03, 2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Hyperion Sniper or Sniper X-II, Hacker Zoom or Super Zoom, almost any of the RC Factory planes (Flash, Yaks, SBach, etc.). "Solid" EPP, carbon reinforced, profile fuselages. Wonderful flyers, with a large following. Hacker also makes full-fuse EPP planes, the Hacker Extra 330 is one of my go-to planes.

You're better off in the 3D Foamies section, tho.

PS, the Parkzone Extra is not a 3D plane. It may have the right shape but it really doesn't do post-stall maneuvers well. It's fast and acrobatic, but not 3D.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:19 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcrowder49 View Post
I'm looking for an introductory 3D aircraft. ........I have a Dx6i and looking to spend $300 or so.
You're not that far away from an awesome plane. You can get any of the Extreme Flight EXP 48" series planes with the Torque power system for $299.95. You'kk have to go over budget though, because then you need the servos, but those will run about $100.

I'de suggest the Edge EXP because it is the most stable.

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:58 AM
Ku-Meeeeeeeeezzzzzz
central tx
Joined Apr 2009
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Hello fellow Rc'ers. First off I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum but I feel this was the right place. I've been flying for some time now, and I feel i'm ready to move up. I'm looking for an introductory 3D aircraft. I've been looking at a couple of things here on the site but I'm still unsure of what to purchase. However, I do not want one of the weird "2d" as I call it foamies. I'm not against foam by any means. I would just like something that looks like a regular low wing aircraft, but can still manage some 3D. Below I will post the links to what I have been considering purchasing. Please, Please, Please, feel free to suggest any other aircraft.

Useful Info:
I have a Dx6i and looking to spend $300 or so.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Link Extra 300 from PZ

Link 2 MX2 from HK
JT
whats your skill level? you just coming off of a trainer?so aesthetics is more important to you than performance? i agree with AWRY a foam plane is the best learning tool. what you need to do is find someone with an epp profile foam plane you can try before you go making judgement. Rafe and Awry made some good recomendations to epp full fuse foam planes that would fit your needs. buying a built up balsa plane is cool if money is no object to you. you crash epp 9.7 out of 10 you dust it off and keep flying. a built up balsa do not have the same odds especially if your skill level is not all there. Doc Austin recommended a plane thats really targeted for an advanced intermediate pilot. is this where your flying skills are at the moment?
Elixir220 is offline Find More Posts by Elixir220
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir220 View Post
JT
whats your skill level? you just coming off of a trainer?so aesthetics is more important to you than performance? i agree with AWRY a foam plane is the best learning tool. what you need to do is find someone with an epp profile foam plane you can try before you go making judgement. Rafe and Awry made some good recomendations to epp full fuse foam planes that would fit your needs. buying a built up balsa plane is cool if money is no object to you. you crash epp 9.7 out of 10 you dust it off and keep flying. a built up balsa do not have the same odds especially if your skill level is not all there. Doc Austin recommended a plane thats really targeted for an advanced intermediate pilot. is this where your flying skills are at the moment?
Skill wise, I would place myself as an intermediate pilot. Got off trainers 3 years ago. As far as 3D goes I'm just starting out. I've flown many RTFs and ARFs, however none were 3D capable.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:42 AM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
If you're looking for 3d dont look at the PZ extra. I have one and i love it but its more of a pattern flyer.

If you like the idea of foam i would look into epp foamies from twisted hobbys or 3dhs or dw foamies... Just go to the 3d foamies section and you will see how amazing those planes can fly and crash
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:46 AM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
Flying 3D doesn't need to be all out or nothing. EPP is a wise way to start if you want to fly low, but if you're set on a balsa rig just fly a bit higher until you're comfortable. Doc has great info on sport flying to 3D transitioning with the EF 48 inchers. I'm sure many will vouch for the 3DHS buck huck. The best soley 3D balsa plane I've flown is the Precision Aerobatics Addiction X. I honestly don't think any balsa plane can fly slower in the hands of a novice. There are great pilots on these forums who can do amazing things with any plane & make it look so easy. But take my word for it, it aint easy. I take alot more risks alot lower with my Addy X than I do with my EF & 3DHS planes.
So many planes, so little cash....
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:13 PM
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
392 Posts
I think you should consider EPP I have a Sniper XL and it gets flown more than my larger planes because I can fly it at local parks. Take the gear off and belly land.

Balsa: any of the 3DHS or EF planes.
732002 is offline Find More Posts by 732002
Old Dec 03, 2011, 02:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir220 View Post
Doc Austin recommended a plane thats really targeted for an advanced intermediate pilot. is this where your flying skills are at the moment?
Not at all. As soon as any of my students can do basic aerobatics with something like a T28, I'll let them fly any of my EXPs.

Quote:
Skill wise, I would place myself as an intermediate pilot. Got off trainers 3 years ago. As far as 3D goes I'm just starting out. I've flown many RTFs and ARFs, however none were 3D capable.
Man, if you have been for flying three years there are going to be very few of these planes that would give you a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by full flaps View Post
Doc has great info on sport flying to 3D transitioning with the EF 48 inchers.
Thanks for bringing that up.

Sport Flying The Extreme Flight Extra EXP
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Dec 03, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Thanks all. You have made very valid points. I have just stumbled across this at nitro planes.

Thoughts on this? It's full foam like I've been looking for. Just want to see what others opinions are.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
It's most likely EPO foam, in either case heavier (for its size) than either balsa or EPP. I'm usually the cheapskate but I'd avoid it (the Nitroplanes Yak.)
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:37 PM
Ku-Meeeeeeeeezzzzzz
central tx
Joined Apr 2009
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all. You have made very valid points. I have just stumbled across this at nitro planes.

Thoughts on this? It's full foam like I've been looking for. Just want to see what others opinions are.
Jt

the recommended planes here in your thread are the most cost effective way to learn 3d. good luck with finding a plane that fits all of your needs. unsubscribed!!!!
Elixir220 is offline Find More Posts by Elixir220
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll look over everything you've suggested and make my decision. Thanks again for the support!
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:04 PM
Dad, why isn't yours that big?
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,814 Posts
Here is a link to the 3DHS 48" epp extra:

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-EPP-Extra_p_16045.html

but, as a few have said, if you are very comfortable doing basic aerobatic maneuvers (i.e. rolls, loops, etc...), and you are comfortable landing, then there should be no fear in going to a balsa. Just set up dual rates, with the low set being conservative and just learn the plane. the 3DHS, EF, and PA planes recommended will all fly really well on low rates, they just won't necessarily 3D all that well on low rates. As you feel more comfortable with the plane, keep adjusting the high rates higher, until they reach the recommended throws, and you'll be having fun in no time!
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot