SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
Wanted: Experienced heli pilot for hire

I have a video production business in Key West and we just purchased a fully operational T-Rex 550 heli with custom camera mount to give us aerial video capability. Is there an experienced operator in the Florida Keys who would be able to fly for hire and assist with our training?

Thanks, Tom
seascape is offline Find More Posts by seascape
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:04 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Wow... just jumped in with both feet hey?

Honestly, for a business, a standard pod and boom heli is not the best way to go. Flight times are pretty limited and stability is not that great. just wondering why you went with this instead of a quad or hexa copter?
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:03 AM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
@seascape

I wish you were in NJ, but a quad is a bit better for it, not that a heli can't be used.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:28 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,690 Posts
Not only is a T-Rex not the best platform for aerial photography, but the instant you do it as a business venture, you are no longer a "hobbyist" covered under AMA. You are now operating a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) subject to inspection, training, and flight rules as established by the FAA. UAV operators fly over populated areas, hobbyists try to avoid that. (Or at least they are supposed to.)

As a side note, the Air Force pilots who fly the Predator and Reaper UAV's in Iraq and Afghanistan are fully qualified pilots, who have to pass a flight physical. The only restriction I know of that has been relaxed somewhat is they are allowed to have their vision corrected, instead of requiring uncorrected 20-20 vision.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli