SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:01 AM
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Build Log
Vintage Sparky electric conversion

Hi guys.

Before I have completely finished my rubber motor Sparky model and saw it flying (even without the fuselage covered), I realised I just can't resist to try to convert it for radio control, thus electric powered.

The thing is, I don't know what engine/prop would be best to use.

It must be very light as the model now has about 75 grams now (!) even though it's 103cm wingspan. Counting in the covering tissue and some construction strengthening and control surfaces modifications I guess the weight without equipment shouldn't exceed 100 grams.

Sparky would really look nice with a larger propeller, possibly 8-10'' so it seems it would need motor with gearbox to pull such prop.

I'm decided to buy all the equipment on hobbyking shop as I found theirs stuff is good price/performance/quality ratio and low shipping cost. So if anyone would be so kind to suggest the equipment it would be much appreciated, thanks!

Model specs:

Wingspan: 103 cm / 41 inch
Weight w/o equipment: appx. 80-100 grams / 3-3.5 ounce
Desired prop diameter: 20-24 cm / 8-10 inch
Desired maximum motor diameter: 2.8 cm / 1.1 inch
Desired motor mount: behind firewall (inside)
Jennik is offline Find More Posts by Jennik
Last edited by Jennik; Dec 02, 2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:44 PM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
I don't have a recommendation for the plane....but that picture of your daughter holding it is priceless! Make yourself some copies and put them away so that you can preserve the memory. They grow up so fast........
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman