HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:42 PM
Joined Nov 2002
304 Posts
Can Triton temp. sensor prevent Lipo fires??

I'm considering getting a couple of the new 2 cell Kokam 1500 Lipo batteries but am considered about everything I've heard about Lipo fires.

Does the Triton temperature sensor help prevent fires, or could a fire start before the outside of the pack gets too hot??? The sensor is supposed to shut off the charger if the sensor determines the battery is too hot.

Any other tips for fire prevention?

Thanks, Doug
duganderson is offline Find More Posts by duganderson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2003, 03:25 AM
CheapBatteryPacks.com
Beaverton, OR
Joined Dec 2002
1,212 Posts
I think that is a great question and suprised there is no response.

Surely someone that did some extreme testing would have an opinion on this.

It would seem to me that problems caused by over charging would first result in heat in the cell. but I do not know this first hand.

if that heat, as you suspect, is higher then the cutoff limit then the triton would shut off.

Lets hope we get some more info on this as I am also very interested in knowing. well worth the $15-$20.00 for the probe if it would.

Mike
frederm2002 is offline Find More Posts by frederm2002
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
Mike, maybe nobody knows. Personally, I wouldn't rely on "automatic" temp. sensing and charger cutoff.

When I used a MAHA Plus charger some months ago, the temp. sensor did not cut off even though some NiMH cells I was charging got too hot, IMO. I can't say how sensitive the Triton's sensor is - I've never used it.

There have been reports of apparently cool LiPo packs "puffing".

So far as I know, there haven't been any reports of apparently cool packs catching fire.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:00 AM
St Charles Flyer
St Charles, IL
Joined Sep 2002
184 Posts
I could imagine that if the failure mode of the Lipo cells is that they "puff" prior to catching on fire then the temperature probe may never see a hot cell. The gas inside the puffed cell would tend to insulate the outside of the cell.

Does the cell heat prior to "puffing"??? Does anyone know enough about these failure modes?

STL
STL.SF is offline Find More Posts by STL.SF
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:05 AM
St Charles Flyer
St Charles, IL
Joined Sep 2002
184 Posts
Added Thought

Do the Lipo cells puff before catching fire?

If so, then maybe a fixture that included a microswitch to cutoff charging if the cell expanded would be a means of increasing safety. This could be rather inexpensive to add to existing chargers.

STL
STL.SF is offline Find More Posts by STL.SF
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:10 AM
Kutztown, PA
Joined Feb 2001
372 Posts
Guys, I have been thinking along the same lines, and we need to urge the designers to come up with a solution...

The cells definately warm up during overcharge, then they puff, then they get hotter, then they burst and flame... I know I have overcharged one, and caught it just as it "puffed"... It was about 120F at that point.

So I envision a casing that the cells are placed into either at MFG, or Post-MFG by a value-added reseller.

The casing (I have no idea what material) would have thermal AND pressure-sensitive circuitry that could cut the charge voltage to the cells... This would not be the "normal" cut-off for charging, but a circuit-breaker system...

I imaging the charging would have to take place "through" this casing-circuitry.

I wish I was an engineer, I would set to work on it.

Thanks, Dan
dmccoach is offline Find More Posts by dmccoach
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:01 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Ive tested the temp probe on the triton. even sometimes by accident when i set the cut off temp 10 degrees above ambient in my house to find the charger shut off on me the next day charging outdoors. the temp probe works, and i believe it will keep a lipo from exploding, However, i still wouldnt leave the charger unattended while charging......ever

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Sep 30, 2003, 01:07 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...402#post806402
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:41 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
626 Posts
The potential problem with Lipos is that they can get hot between the inner cells, and still be just a bit warm on the outside.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:19 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,168 Posts
Did not notice it was a 10 year old thread....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:20 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,893 Posts
Bumping a 10+ year old thread might be a record!

I rather suspect that the OP has long moved on from his Triton by now...
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:21 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Bumping a 10+ year old thread might be a record!
Yep, you'd think I'd learn to look at more than the last post date especially when the subject matter is that old..... lol
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:57 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
626 Posts
It's not so much the age of the post, or the mfr of the charger. It has more to do with the usefulness of a temperature sensor. I have a couple of sensors, and due to reasonable charging currents, have never had them show anything significant. Use with NiCads and NMIH batteries can be a totally different story.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:14 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,720 Posts
A thickness change trigger wold be much more effective. Lipos do expand slightly on charging but nothing in comparison to the expansion when they are being overcharged.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy