HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:00 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
How would you set up control surfaces on a lifting body glider?

Using the X-24a as an example http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4A_diagram.png

I'm mostly wondering about speed control. My design will have the rudder. I'm thinking of angling the wings further down for roll control surfaces and using a split rudder as a simple speed brake.

Or I can go with the rudder ... as a rudder lol and upper body flap for a speed brake (but that disrupts flow over the rudder) and then X-24a style rear body flaps for roll control.

I'm looking to minimize weight and control functions.

It only has to stay wings level and autopilot (I'm leaning toward the Ardupilot Mega) itself to preprogrammed coordinates by way of a simple, falling glide.

Does the APM do elevons? If so I believe that would simplify things. And I could hook the throttle control to a split rudder speed brake. No brake='max throttle' and some/all brake='less/no throttle'.

Would a lower body flap (like the shuttle), dropping the nose, increase the horizontal speed component or just the vertical component? Could that be run as a throttle increase by the autopilot?
danpass is offline Find More Posts by danpass
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,397 Posts
That thing was designed as a space re-entry vehicle and has nothing to do with a glider. I would be surprised if it's L/D is more than 3:1. In other words, it will drop like a controlled brick.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:07 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,670 Posts
Those re-entry vehicles are heavy since they have to be covered in ceramic plates... that's at least something us modelers don't have to deal with. So, if built light enough it probably wouldn't be that bad, but I would not build it as a glider, there are no redeeming glider qualities about it.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:32 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,418 Posts
Standard elevon mix on the tail (make sure you can get lots of UP for the flare). Rudders are not especially effective on them.

Your elevator is really going to be your throttle, too (just like a glider). At high alpha you WILL experience a lot of oscillations on roll - just let it rock.

A friend of mine flew the original model that now hangs in the AMA museum.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:45 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
yep, I'd just use elevons or, if mixing is an issue, have the surfaces split with the outer part working as ailerons and the inner as elevators.

As noted by others, the lifting body as a glider will have terrible glide performance. Basically it's about the worst layout it's possible to have for a glider. Unless you plan on re-entering the Earth's atmosphere then there are no redeeming qualities (other than looking cool)
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:40 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
That thing was designed as a space re-entry vehicle and has nothing to do with a glider. I would be surprised if it's L/D is more than 3:1. In other words, it will drop like a controlled brick.
If nothing else, those teach you how to fly high-alpha!

Check out the angle on the pitot probe- I assume it's bent to be horizontal during level flight.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,418 Posts
But that one was light enough to fly behind a tow car.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:05 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
yep, I'd just use elevons or, if mixing is an issue, have the surfaces split with the outer part working as ailerons and the inner as elevators.

As noted by others, the lifting body as a glider will have terrible glide performance. Basically it's about the worst layout it's possible to have for a glider. Unless you plan on re-entering the Earth's atmosphere then there are no redeeming qualities (other than looking cool)
looking cool is always priority #1
danpass is offline Find More Posts by danpass
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:35 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,674 Posts
This thread might be of some help to you: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388037
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod