HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:43 PM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Question
CMP Trainer 50 / AKA Cessna 182

I'm assembling a new ARF that I picked up at Nitroplanes this week and I run into a problem. The stabilizer does not line up with the molded in part of the fuselage. I set the plane up so that the top of the wing sadle is level with 0deg. of incedence and then checked the stabilizer and it also was at 0deg. incedence.

I have 2 other CMP Cessna 182's to compare to and they both do not have this problem. The stabilizer on both of them line up perfectly with the molding on the fuselage. I did not check the incedence on either of these 2 planes.

As a side note, neither of these planes flew very well. Both ended up crashing.

Any idea what the incedence should be?
KaP2011 is offline Find More Posts by KaP2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
I'm guessing since no one has answered this question that no one know's the answer. I looked at the Top Flite Cessna 182 specs and they show 0 deg on the stab and +1/4 deg on the wing. Also the engine has 2 deg downthrust with 0 deg sidethrust which is the same as the CMP 182. So I believe I'm going to go with Top Flite's specs.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:57 AM
Monroe, La
Joined Sep 2003
177 Posts
I bought that exact plane around the first of December and just completed it yesterday. My stabilizers line up perfectly with the molded part of the fuselage. I haven't flown it yet so I can't say if that's where I should have put them.
crashandburn is offline Find More Posts by crashandburn
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
I am in the process of building one now. I encountered the same problem. I had to make some mods to get them to line up better, they are not perfect, but I don't think there will be any problems with it.
jberns is offline Find More Posts by jberns
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
As for the flying problems, a friend of mine has one. He is flying it with a 60 size motor. On his initial flight he almost lost it. He realized that the CG needed to be moved back about 5 mm. He also made it a bit more nose heavy. He said that the flight control was much better. He suggested that I set mine at around 74 to 78mm. Once I get to that point I will probably set it at 76mm. Hope it works.
jberns is offline Find More Posts by jberns
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:41 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,603 Posts
incidence

My two sense.
An experienced builder told me that a high wing airplane should have an angle between the stab and the wing (incidence),much like the angle from one wing to another(diehedral).
Not a lot however,but always some.and for a Cessna type,always set to lift the nose.

Down thrust helps pull the wing thru the air more or less countering the drag of the wing..which is above the thrust line..said drag trying to make the airplane
climb.
..Been workin' for me for forty years..Down and right thrust.Good luck !!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:30 AM
Monroe, La
Joined Sep 2003
177 Posts
Jberns,

Thanks for the heads-up on the CG. I actually have mine set at 68mm thinking that would be the most nose heavy. I was going to add a little weight to balance there. Now that I think about it, moving it back will make my nose heavier and maybe remove the need for me to add any weight at all. Since the whole fuel tank is in front of the CG should I set it with an empty tank, full tank, or somewhere in the middle?

Ron
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
rwj
Joined Dec 2011
329 Posts
Has anyone done this plane in the electric version? Don't they come with a motor mt for electric?
rwj is offline Find More Posts by rwj
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
Monroe, La
Joined Sep 2003
177 Posts
Mine came with an electric motor mount. You'll either have to cut a battery hatch in the bottom of the plane, or take the wing off to swap out batteries.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Mine is finally completed though still un-tested. I set the incidence @ 0 deg on the stab and + 1/4 deg on the wing. The engine thrust is set by the firewall position. I have taken it to the field and taxied it around some to get the feel of it. I decided at the beginning, from previous experience, to replace the nose gear with a better quality strut from Robart. It taxi’s perfectly now with no wobble. A much better setup though you have to modify the nose wheel pants to fit the Robostrut, which I have not done yet. A heads up if you want to do this mod. The Robart 656 Straight Robostrut by itself will not work, you have to use the 654 with the mount. This plane looks so good it may end up being a hanger queen. I keep thinking of scale mods to do, working lights is one that would be easy.
As for the cg issue, I would have to check but I think I set mine at 76mm. The first one I had scared me so bad that it was a month before I flew it again. It was set at the factory specs. and was very tail heavy.
I noticed that the AUW is lighter on this plane. The first one I had came out @ 9lb 5oz with a Saito .80 up front. This one is 8lb. 1oz with the same Saito up front. Still had to add 8oz to the front to balance it.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,839 Posts
Where can i get one of these. i've looked everywhere.
thanks, Doug
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
AK-Models.com gets them from time to time. They have the large Cessna 182-140 in stock for $210. The .50 size is back ordered.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
whats up with AK Models they do not seem to be answering the phone or emails?
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,839 Posts
Anyone know where i can get a windshield for this model. I found one but it's a knock off. Plain white box, no identification anywhere. I'll give it a go but windshield will look like crap. So they copy there own products, that's rich!!!
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Good luck finding any parts. I tried getting parts for another of these planes and finaly gave up and just ordered another plane. (from nitroplanes)

I also had trouble getting in contact with A-K Models but they did e-mail me back about a week later. (To tell me they had no parts.)