HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:32 AM
There's Always a Way
Australia, NSW, Stonehenge
Joined Mar 2008
66 Posts
Discussion
Bridgesky Solo 1500

No info on this little glider so here is a picture of one I just bought. It's ready for first session. I will be using it on slopes and thermals to compare to the AXN CloudsFly floater jet.
The finish is better. Ailerons are twice as big and much more precise. Canopy snaps on very firmly compared to FJs poor canopy magnet. The graphics are individual, high quality stickers, almost look painted on, not one peice stickers. The motor offset is extreme but the maker assures me it overcomes the downward thrust 'syndrome' especially evident with the FJ. Nice space for battery but would be hard to go bigger than a 1500mAh.
People don't realize that a glider is for gliding, not high speed antics. The power needed to get this craft up to air currents is more than adequate. If you want to modify for speed, why not get a jet?
Overall appearance is better but try to ignore the silly F18 fighter pilot
5th Jan 2012
Mods: 1. I had a lot of motor vibration so I checked prop balance and it was way off. If you want smooth, efficient running, eliminate vibration which is usually caused by out of balance prop or bent shaft. The later is un-likely as it is well protected. 2. The wing was also way out requiring a massive 4 grams in the form of zinc plated 'brads' pushed into leading edge right wing tip. 3. I added a 6mm hollow carbon tube to strengthen the tail. I regret not doing it before my first flight. It's easy enough to do but easier if the tail is broken off because you will need to make the hole with a screw driver unless you have a drill bit about 12cms long. I used 'liquid nails' construction adhesive which is cheap and effective in the hole formed and spin the tube in slowly to 'smear the whole tube as it goes in. I then epoxied the tail back on and held in place while checking for alignment with wing. In my view, alignment is critical. If you don't align, measure, balance everything and there's a problem with flying, how do you work out what's wrong? 4. I always like to run 2 inch wide clear packaging tape along underside of EPO models with the front end being cut to a point and wrapped up to nose. This protects the underside and prevents scuffs and stains.
26th Feb 2012
Final flight. I took it out today for a great hour of slope flying using power only to fly out of turbulent wind near the slope.
After using only 'v' tail controls, I decided to try some aileron stuff with very poor result. One of the reasons I chose this glider was it has twice the sized ailerons of the AXN Floater Jet but the aileron response is just as bad. Both really are basic gliders in my opinion which can fly on thermal or slope without expecting anything special in the way of aerobatics.
May 2012
Took the fuselage shape of another EPO 1500 glider and built a new one, way stronger. I've developed a new covering technique and trimmed to match wing trim. Final picture.
Peterperfect is offline Find More Posts by Peterperfect
Last edited by Peterperfect; Jul 11, 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: additional info
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:05 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Thinking to get this one without waiting it to come to the USA warehouse, anxious to hear your flight report!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Have you flown your Solo 1500 yet?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:43 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
I am just about to start building mine, so why dont we make this the thread for it. Its a pity that HK dont sell it in kit form so we can customise our own electronics, servo's and motor.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
Looks like a nice FPV platform.

edit: It's in the US warehouse now.
xatled99 is offline Find More Posts by xatled99
Last edited by xatled99; Dec 30, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:43 PM
There's Always a Way
Joined Mar 2008
66 Posts
First launch was easier than the FJ. Better to fly. I found my FJ very glitchy with tail controls and the Solo is worth adjusting all servo rates to suit yourself. Of course, this means a better radio than basic 4 or 5 channel but worth it to get the most from it. Tail broke off very easy in grass. See picture. I was debating putting in a carbon tube to strengthen before maiden and as usual I should have gone with my gut. putting it in today.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:55 PM
There's Always a Way
Joined Mar 2008
66 Posts
Better than FJ but small mods will improve it. I would buy another one, yes.
Flying at our club in a good breeze. Will slope fly soon. Flies perfect with balance point at wing servo wires. 1500 - 11.1v battery fits nicely and makes the balance just right. Launching is better than Floater Jet and flies straight using full power and throw at 30 - 40 degrees.
15th Jan 2012. Slope flying today. I found a great new site with steep slopes and a great landing area. The land owner was happy to give me access. Flying the Solo 1500 is not so good on the slopes. It gets thrown quite dramatically in gusts and in-experienced flyers could expect to loose control. I decided to try a thermal so I climbed out away from the slopes and switched off. A couple of minutes sniffing around with no power and I was rising. This is a great little thermaller using a 1500 battery of 125grams. This is on the heavy side for light slope breezes and I had to trim up quite a bit. Inside the nose there are two steel ballast rods with provision for a third. Maybe this could be cut away inside to accomodate a battery or at least allow ballast changes.
Last edited by Peterperfect; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:57 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterperfect View Post
Better than FJ but small mods will improve it. I would buy another one, yes.
Peter any chance of documenting some of the mods your talking about. I am about to start my build on this plane/glider and would be interested to hear what you have to say. Any chance of a vid of your flight(s) with this bird?

John
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
Mine should be arriving shortly as well. Sounds like melting a channel with a soldering iron and gluing in a CF longeron would be an easy improvement. Maybe a little strip of fiberglass along the entire belly wouldn't be bad either. I'm also inclined to relocate the vtail servos to the rear and cut some flaps in the wing...
Last edited by xatled99; Jan 04, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:36 PM
There's Always a Way
Joined Mar 2008
66 Posts
I like to keep things simple. Too many mods and I would prefer to buy or build something closer to what I end up with through mods.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
There's Always a Way
Joined Mar 2008
66 Posts
removed
Last edited by Peterperfect; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
Just started today. It was easy enough to relocate the vtail servos to the rear. The canopy and pilot bust separate easily, yielding what I hope will be a good fpv platform. Should be good to go after I add some pushrods and clevises. Might try flying it before cutting flaps in.

edit: 29 Jan: radio gear, fpv gear, pushrods, and battery mounted. Still needs some loctite and a CF rod for the tail.

edit: 4 Feb: loctite, tail feathers glued in, CF rod installed, underbelly taped. the stock tail pushrods are too flexible and need upgrading. aileron pushrods are okay, though.
Last edited by xatled99; Feb 04, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
Maidened today. Better power than I'd anticipated; I measured about 110W on the ground but it had no trouble climbing once airborne. It sounded a bit rough at WOT, probably prop balance. Didn't seem to have a ton of aileron authority, but had more rudder authority than I'd expected from a vtail. Weathervaned a lot, not great wind penetration. I think my AUW is around 30oz with a 1300mAh 3s pack and all the FPV gear. 5 minute of motor time (timer starts at >25% throttle) left the pack at about 25% capacity, and the pack wasn't quite fully charged when I started. I'll try a 1500 mAh pack next.
Last edited by xatled99; Feb 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
CG Confirmation Please!

Could someone confirm the printed CG in the manual for me PLEASE! The problem is that my copy of the manual is so poor that I can't be certain of the called out recommended CG, it looks like it says 15mm from the leading edge, is that correct????????

I will be running mine on 2200 mah 2S which is what I run all of my "EZ" style foamies, of course I have to use a more suitable prop, I am using an APC 6x5.5e, hooked up to my wattmeter, it shows pulling 13.2A and 92Watts at WOT with a freshly charged pack. Doesn't feel that strong but my Bixler is using the same setup but has the slightly lower kv stock 1900 kv stock outrunner, but it provides quite good power for a lightweight glider.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
I had a hard time reading the manual too, but it looked like 15mm from the LE. Eyeballing it, this seems pretty far forward to me. Peterperfect said that he had his CG at the servo wires. My plane felt tail heavy when I flew it, so I'm hoping to try a bigger pack this weekend.

Has anyone measured the dimensions of the stock prop?