HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
FUTABA 8FG SUPER....super complicated!

I just bought the Futaba 8fg super and it is SO complicated to simply set up a NEW plane to fly!!!!

So frustrating. I wish somebody who actually had one would just hold a video camera over it to show me how to put a NEW PLANE into it and set it up.

FUTABA dont even do this!!!!!! Unbelievable for a company today!
wingstays is offline Find More Posts by wingstays
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:49 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
On the main home screen scroll over to the model name, select it, then in the model selection menu scroll over to new and select it.

Or in the linkage menu scroll over to model select.

Then select the model type and control surfaces accordingly to allocate the right functions to the right channels. You can reassign the type of control surfaces/functions, channels, and control inputs in the function menu and assign them however you see fit later too.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Dec 01, 2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstays View Post
I just bought the Futaba 8fg super and it is SO complicated to simply set up a NEW plane to fly!!!!

So frustrating. I wish somebody who actually had one would just hold a video camera over it to show me how to put a NEW PLANE into it and set it up.

FUTABA dont even do this!!!!!! Unbelievable for a company today!
Did you read the manual?

If it is incomprehensible to you, you should not have bought such an advanced computer radio. Change to a simpler entry level radio.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:04 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Read the manual, it's not a butler.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,662 Posts
Based on comments from users at the local fields, the 8FG does have a very steep learning curve compared to JR and Spektrum radios. One owner said that it was the third reading of the manual when it all started to make sense.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:46 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
The programming functions of the 8FGS are separated in 3 menus:

1. Settings which apply to all models memories - radio as a whole related - SYS
2. Initial model settings which once set up are rarely changed - these are closely related to the mechanical setup of the model - wing/tail type, servo reversing, throws, etc. - LNK
3. Model settings which are often tweaked - D/R, built-in and custom mixing, curves, etc. - MDL

Yes, it is a relatively complicated radio - any advanced radio which provides a lot of programming options tends to be more complex to program. Take the 7C and 9C for example - the 7C menu is based on the 9C but greatly simplified. As a result the 7C is faster to set up compared to the 9C. But the 9C provides a lot more features. If you would never use the advanced features of the 9C you will be fine with the 7C.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:52 AM
Sarasota, FL
Joined Jan 2006
175 Posts
I had the same problems. After sitting down with it and a plane in front of me I finally have it doing everything I need it to do plus more. One thing that would be helpful to you is to download the manual for the Robbe FX-20. It is the same radio as yours but in a tray style transmitter. This manual is more complete than the 8FG.

You should be able to get it from the Robbe site. You may have to register to get the manual download.

Phil
podrieger is offline Find More Posts by podrieger
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2007
193 Posts
My TX is JR MX22. For me is Futaba complicated radio too.
cianokol is online now Find More Posts by cianokol
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:10 PM
Slovenia (odranci)
Joined Nov 2006
141 Posts
8FG is one of the easyer to program. Ok i admit my 12fg is easyer to program.

Just go to new model and you will be asker what type do you have. What wings and tail. And futaba will setup everything for you. Just plug in servos and fly.

Ok then you have some extra mixes, conditions, etc... That you have to learn how to program. But for beginner you don't have to know that.
skorp_jon is offline Find More Posts by skorp_jon
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:17 PM
Idiot Savant
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
I'll trade you for my easy-to-program, pristine 9C with 2.4.
ptgarcia is offline Find More Posts by ptgarcia
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:39 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,159 Posts
Aw c'mon. You know you need to keep the 9C so that you can fly the DSM2 BNF stuff
I really prefer the 8FG for programming ease
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:25 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
There is a learning curve for more of the advanced programming manipulations (such as mixing functions with themselves ), but the basics are pretty straightforward. It just takes familiarizing yourself with the menu layout and terminology.

Programming in a new basic model is actually very easy and quick to do once you get the swing of things. A lot faster and easier to do than in my 6EX, for example.

By the way, here is a link to the main 8FG thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092861

Feel free to ask any questions you might have there too to increase your chances of getting a good answer...
Last edited by Wrend; Dec 02, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:56 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
556 Posts
The best tx on the market for setting up a new model is the Aurora 9 as it asks simple yes or no questions. The next best would be the Sanwa/Airtronics sd-10g. I guess it's like anything though...once one spends time with what ever it may be, you do get used to it.

Some things are just more clunkier than others.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:05 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Not sure about "best" and all that... (To each their own.)

On the 8FG you just select the model type, wing type, and tail type for the default function assignment. Pretty straightforward.

This assumes you actually know what kind of model you're flying (how many control surfaces you want and the like).

If you don't know what you're flying, then best you had find out, or stop trying to fly it...
Last edited by Wrend; Dec 03, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:05 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,341 Posts
Computers can get very complex, and the greater the capability, the greater the complexity. If all else fails, read the instructions. If that fails, fall back to 4 channel non-computerized.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda