HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:00 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
Discussion
I was moving boxes around in the shop today and look what I found!!

it is a 1973 Westcoast RC Products F4 Phantom. wow didn't know I had this so the question for you guys is do you think this could be a good candidate for edf conversion? looks like all I would need to do is make a nosecone and ducting and the rest would be pretty straight forward. looks to be 90mm size, I haven't measured what the intake and exhaust exits are but they look ok for a 90mm but probably a more scale smaller size since this was intended for a glow .60 prop what do you guys think?

John
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:03 PM
There was a crease in the plan
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Looks like an epoxy fus, rare for that vintage. They are normally a crappy green/brown colour if they are polyester by this age.

Go for it, it will work. Access hatch for the lipos will need some thought.
Steve Haynes is offline Find More Posts by Steve Haynes
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:13 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
yep pretty sure its epoxy, ya its sitting in front of me saying build me LOL!! I have put no thought into it yet but thats kinda what the thread is for to help think thru all the possible issues that may arise. its a nice size and would be a one of a kind for sure
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,449 Posts
Even though this is CA. looks like a good winter project.
Get to work!
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:45 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
Winter?....whats that? lol!!
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:50 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
its saying 6.5lbs would it be heavier or liter as an edf? I'm thinking heavier so maybe an AUW of 7-7.5lbs with 500 squares might fly great
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:23 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
John! Build that baby!!!!! Just keep the glass lite and she will fly great! I have my JHH F-4 being built right now (went to a buddy to sheet and build the wing for me thou) I think that would be a really cool project!!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:00 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
John! Build that baby!!!!! Just keep the glass lite and she will fly great! I have my JHH F-4 being built right now (went to a buddy to sheet and build the wing for me thou) I think that would be a really cool project!!
Brian
is this the one you have
http://www.jethangar.com/Aircraft/Phantom/F4.html

what is going in it for power? mine says wingspan is 44in and yours says 44in but fuse length is way diff something is way off here with mine. the JHH F4 is supposed to be very scale. sounds like this kit I have may have cartoon wings LOL
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:06 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,549 Posts
That could be fixed the JHH F-4 would be sweet on 2x 90mm fans on 8s set ups .i have one from way back.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
I just wanna know---How do you "loose" such a cool model???......I've heard of guys like you---"I was looking around in the basement and came up on this copy of the US Constitution...Which turned out to be real"...Yep---Some guys have ALL of the luck!!!...Knowing how things go around my house my wife would have thrown it away without me ever knowing....GREAT FIND!!!...Now build it!!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:20 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,623 Posts
yeah, what you have is not a JHH F-4 for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Brian
is this the one you have
http://www.jethangar.com/Aircraft/Phantom/F4.html

what is going in it for power? mine says wingspan is 44in and yours says 44in but fuse length is way diff something is way off here with mine. the JHH F4 is supposed to be very scale. sounds like this kit I have may have cartoon wings LOL
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:13 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
That could be fixed the JHH F-4 would be sweet on 2x 90mm fans on 8s set ups .i have one from way back.
Airsally I hear you make ducts. What would it take to get a full set of ducts made?
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:54 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Airsally I hear you make ducts. What would it take to get a full set of ducts made?
Can't wait to see u start this one. I know you're going
To make it sweet. Hit up tam for some ducts if air Sally don't want to
Do it. He made some for flyboy for his f-4
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:04 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
thanks Manny thats a good idea fo sho. if I can get some ducts made for it and figure out how to get the wing to be more scale it might be a go
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:31 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I just wanna know---How do you "loose" such a cool model???......I've heard of guys like you---"I was looking around in the basement and came up on this copy of the US Constitution...Which turned out to be real"...Yep---Some guys have ALL of the luck!!!...Knowing how things go around my house my wife would have thrown it away without me ever knowing....GREAT FIND!!!...Now build it!!!!

Kevin
Kevin
guilty as charged the thing is I didn't buy this kit I'm sure my dad acquired it and it has been stored in the box for 30yrs, I do remember seeing it and since getting addicted to edf jets about a year ago I though about digging it out. the thing is I remembered it as being huge like turbine size LOL! probably the last time I saw it was in the 80's and then it would have been huge so today moving some stuff around I spotted it and had to look, its smaller than I thought but really its a good size perfect for a single 90mm setup which I like. if you saw my shop you would understand how it could be buried for so long with about 50yrs of accumulated RC stuff. you guys are going to hate me but when I bought my last house I had it in my plan to have a killer RC shop, so I did I bought this place that has a fully detached 25' x 40' two story shop, upstairs is the rc shop and downstairs is the autoshop things can go lost for some time. my wife is the same anything left in the house could easily be thrown out. so the house is hers and the shop is mine, we have been married 25yrs and with this setup should go another 25