HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 02:54 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Help!
How to fix bent wingtips on a foam plane?

Thanks for checking…I do very little electric/foam flying, mostly a nitro/gas kit builder but I do have a small collection of parkfliers and micros that I take out when there is little wind and I don’t have the time to load up the car and drive out to the regular field. I recently picked up an E-Flite Beechcraft Staggerwing 480 here on rcgroups. Something went horribly wrong while it was in transient and the plane suffered some damage. Most of it is not too bad, but both wingtips bent/folded up significantly. I am certain that it will not fly in this condition. I am afraid to try and bend them back down. They most likely will just snap. Is there any good way to fix this other than buying a new wing set? If I do need a new wing set, where would you recommend buying it?

Thanks! Here are some pics…sorry that they are rotated strangely.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:03 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
EPO foam, like you have there, is very easy to fix using boiling water. I would lay a cloth in the cease and pure the boiling water onto the cloth and at the same time bend the tip back into position. The idea is to get the foam in the centre of the crease to re expand to its original shape. If you break either of the tips off while doing this, just glue them back on using CA and kicker or Gorilla Glue. Use Gorilla Glue to fill the cracks.

You should get a repair that is 99% of what it was.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Dec 01, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:09 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
With the gorilla glue, dampen the material, use sparingly (it expands 4x) then cover the joint with packing tape while it cures to limit squeeze out.

Also the Gorilla Glue white is suposed to be a great choice over the amber.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:07 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
I think boiling water on this one is a waste of time. Heat it with a hair dryer to get it "soft" .. meaning not so likely to break. Use foam safe CA or the Gorilla Glue that was mentioned above. The tape, if used, needs to stay in place because when you take it off it WILL peel the paint off. I'd do it without tape. Warm things up, glue it in place and hold it with your fingers untill it is set. You might get away with the blue painters tape, it may not peel the paint. GL!!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:00 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I think boiling water on this one is a waste of time.
It gets the heat where it's needed. The last thing he wants to do is expand all the beads, which what will happen with a hair dryer.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Hmmmm, not sure about that. BUT, go ahead and do the water and if it doesn't work try the hair dryer. I do NOT mean to heat the whole wing, only at the tips where it is needed.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:39 PM
Grounded, but hopeful
Bangkok
Joined Jul 2010
169 Posts
I recon using a hairdryer and kneading it with your fingers to get it straight.
CosmicEV1990 is offline Find More Posts by CosmicEV1990
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
I mean to heat it enough that the bent part is not so stiff, then glue will be needed to hold them in place.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:19 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,328 Posts
Both the hair dryer and the hot water will expand the beads. The trick is to heat the area enough to get it back into place. Be ready with a large spoon or some other smooth, curved, metal object. If the beads have expanded on you just use the spoon to press them back down after you get the tips back in place.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:22 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Both the hair dryer and the hot water will expand the beads. The trick is to heat the area enough to get it back into place. Be ready with a large spoon or some other smooth, curved, metal object. If the beads have expanded on you just use the spoon to press them back down after you get the tips back in place.
Having become rather good a fixxin' foam (DON'T ASK)
I would go with the hot water. Use a teapot so you can pour a thin slow steady stream and target areas that are compressed. Hot air can work also but this lets you be more precise. Let it dry for a couple days then repair any breaks/cracks with glue of choice. The spoon trick mentioned sounds good just be aware it'll work best while the foam is still fairly warm. Try a really COLD spoon??? Let us know if it works better
Don't forget to rebalance wing tip to wing tip
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Well .... did it work?

Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:28 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
I am still taking notes from all of everyone's ideas! I think I will try the hot water first...I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:39 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
My preference is to use steam. Any old tea kettle will do.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw