HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Ya I don't think it's delay. I2C is seriously dodgy on original board and I don't know why. Mine runs OK at 400kHz one day and not another. (same with 10k pullups).
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Alek,
Is your green LED on when you are doing the RC calibration and goes off when you click on stop? Your stick and switch procedure sounds OK. You have the Rx channel with a variable POTI connected to the FF ch7 pins correct?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Jim, I measured and it went to 0 Ohms, so looks like the path from signal pin to processor is ok.

UPDATE: just some thoughts, if the signal is correct and gets to processor and 1.22 works, so there is something I do incorrectly? When doing RC calibration I simply turn the knob up and down several times and move sticks to their extremes, then stop calib and save to the board. I am not sure what I am doing wrong...
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:18 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Alek,
Is your green LED on when you are doing the RC calibration and goes off when you click on stop? Your stick and switch procedure sounds OK. You have the Rx channel with a variable POTI connected to the FF ch7 pins correct?
Cheers,
Jim
Will check again the green led, but I think I remember it was ON but did not go OFF when I clicked on Stop. I might try again to make sure. I might try to calibrate also via my TX and see.

What if it does not go off when calibrating via PC?
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Alek,
The green LED is indicating that the RC calibration is being done. The green LED should extinguish when you hit stop or flip the ch5 switch if you choose to do it that way. If you don't see the green LED responding that way then the RC calibration is not being done or saved properly. Note that when the RC calibration is being done and you are moving the sticks, the sliders do not respond during this RC calibration procedure. They will move after you stop the calibration and the green LED goes off. Make sure you end the RC calibration with the throttle stick in the full up position before you hit the stop button or the ch5 switch.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Will check again the green led, but I think I remember it was ON but did not go OFF when I clicked on Stop. I might try again to make sure. I might try to calibrate also via my TX and see.

What if it does not go off when calibrating via PC?
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 08, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:48 AM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
So, i played with MWC code, that great TC gave us..
In fact, it seems not like I2C problem..
I hooked another ADXL345 with not alternative address, changing address to 0x1D (alternative, like in original hardware is 0x53), and EVERYTHING worked fine, even on 400khz!
Moreover, i played with onboard acc.. Changing just ADXL345_BW_RATE gives unpredictable results: or huge spikes, or small tremor, anyway no data change beacuse of acc position.
Well, back to testing
leprud is offline Find More Posts by leprud
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:50 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Alek,
The green LED is indicating that the RC calibration is being done. The green LED should extinguish when you hit stop or flip the ch5 switch if you choose to do it that way. If you don;t see the green LED responding that way then the RC calibration is not being done or saved properly. Note that when the RC calibration is being done and you are moving the sticks, the sliders do not respond during this RC calibration procedure. They will move after you stop the calibration and the green LED goes off.
Cheers,
Jim
Jim,
it WORKED!!! When calibrating via version 1.5, the green LED goes ON but clicking Stop Calibration does not turn it OFF. I tried then v 1.7 and it worked there. Yesterday I went straight to 1.5 and then did not go back to 1.7.

Now, cam stab works and I can manually adjust pitch. Great I need to fine tune cam stab settings now, hopefully I find acceptable values.

Great thanks, Jim!
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
L,
Have you tried re-flowing your ADXL345??
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprud View Post
So, i played with MWC code, that great TC gave us..
In fact, it seems not like I2C problem..
I hooked another ADXL345 with not alternative address, changing address to 0x1D (alternative, like in original hardware is 0x53), and EVERYTHING worked fine, even on 400khz!
Moreover, i played with onboard acc.. Changing just ADXL345_BW_RATE gives unpredictable results: or huge spikes, or small tremor, anyway no data change beacuse of acc position.
Well, back to testing
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Hi Alek,
Glad you got it going Just FYI the RC calibration works and the green LED turns on and off correctly in both the ZN v1.5 and ZN v1.07 for me. I use the ZN's RC calibration and stop buttons.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Jim,
it WORKED!!! When calibrating via version 1.5, the green LED goes ON but clicking Stop Calibration does not turn it OFF. I tried then v 1.7 and it worked there. Yesterday I went straight to 1.5 and then did not go back to 1.7.

Now, cam stab works and I can manually adjust pitch. Great I need to fine tune cam stab settings now, hopefully I find acceptable values.

Great thanks, Jim!
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 08, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Hi Alek,
Glad you got it going Just FYI the RC calibration works and the green LED turns on and off correctly in both the ZN v1.5 and AN v1.07 for me. I use the ZN's RC calibration and stop buttons.
Cheers,
Jim
Jim,
I did try in both. Remember? I told you earlier today that I thought it did not go off in 1.0.5, when I got home I tried again and confirmed. Then went to 1.0.7 and it went on then off. Who knows what's going on.... I might try again but this is how it worked for me. Running Windows XP.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Jim,
I did try in both. Remember? I told you earlier today that I thought it did not go off in 1.0.5, when I got home I tried again and confirmed. Then went to 1.0.7 and it went on then off. Who knows what's going on.... I might try again but this is how it worked for me. Running Windows XP.
Mine works fine as well (Windows 7) on V1.07 of ZNS and 1.24 of the firmware for calibration via channel 5 or the ZNS buttons. Since I have the throttle reversed, I have to put the throttle at mininum before and after doing the calibration otherwise the led doesn't turn off, thereby saving the settings.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:52 PM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
Quote:
L,
Have you tried re-flowing your ADXL345??
Well, had the same idea.
So i took my 60w big-headed iron.. Well, it was..hm.. i was very careful with big (~1cm dia) solder blobs i guess.
Anyway, everything is fine.

So, after changing acc, i have everything working ok!
400khz i2c, 1300 cycle time in GUI. Acc is a bit noisy (+-5 i guess), but in GUI everything looks smooth and beautiful! Tried both 10k pullups and 3.15k - no difference.

Woohoo, thanks for support and especially to TC!

BTW, uploaded FF1.24 firmware, it still works! Actually, now i am not sure it uses acc... MPU3050 is very stable, they can just integrate it, without acc..
leprud is offline Find More Posts by leprud
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Alek,
Yes of course. I was telling you my results Are you putting the throttle full up before hitting the stop button or the ch5 switch after you have fully stirred the sticks and switches?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Jim,
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Hi RC,
Yes your situation points to requiring that the proper channel reversal be setup prior to the RC calibration. I found that in FF v1.22 and earlier firmware, per what was written in the FF manual, you had to have the throttle in the full up position before the RC calibration stop command would turn off the green LED. For the FF v1.24 I have found that the green LED will go out and the ranges will be saved if the throttle is high or low before the you press the stop button or flip the ch5 switch.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Mine works fine as well (Windows 7) on V1.07 of ZNS and 1.24 of the firmware for calibration via channel 5 or the ZNS buttons. Since I have the throttle reversed, I have to put the throttle at mininum before and after doing the calibration otherwise the led doesn't turn off, thereby saving the settings.
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 08, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Alek,
Yes of course. I was telling you my results Are you putting the throttle full up before hitting the stop button or the ch5 switch after you have fully stirred the sticks and switches?
Cheers,
Jim
No, I thought I have to do it only when doing calibration via TX. Is it necessary when using ZNS?
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:37 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprud View Post
So, after changing acc, i have everything working ok! 400khz i2c, 1300 cycle time in GUI. Acc is a bit noisy (+-5 i guess), but in GUI everything looks smooth and beautiful! Tried both 10k pullups and 3.15k - no difference.
Hi, just so that I understand, did you replace your acc chip or just reflow it? It's crazy that it works with FF firmware but not TC's. My board sound to be as difficult as yours so I still have hope I can get it running.

Update: After reading more about the ACC chip and re-reading your post, do I understand correctly that you changed the default address of the ACC chip (from 0x53 to 0x1D via the ALT ADDRESS pin 12) and recompiled TC's code to use the ALT address and it worked?
HappySundays is online now Find More Posts by HappySundays
Last edited by HappySundays; Feb 08, 2012 at 05:38 PM.