HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:41 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,266 Posts
Mike and Gents,
Yep Rolf did get this muticopter throttle calibration correct with the KK and Mike provides a nice work-around to the FreeFlight controller stick throttle level optimization.

In the "old days" with the experimental brushless Draganflyer, we would adjust Tx upper and lower endpoints and then calibrate the ESCs direct from the Rx throttle channel and then set the endpoints back to normal Tx endpoint values if we needed to adjust throttle level stick response. For example see: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3631 Of course the values would be different for every Tx/Rx set, so a bit of trial and error was involved to get it set. It will be different for each build too as the total flying weight comes into play. FYI my unadjusted FF endpoints with a Futaba/Frsky/1.2kg AUW/55cm diameter/750Kv motors/APC1047 props/4400mah 25c lipo hovers at half throttle.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Randy
Glad to hear it worked
I agree, this also applies to other boards aswell, as ESC throttle range calibration is very important for multirotors.

Rolf got this spot on with his KK software
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 24, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:25 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadframes View Post
Is it not poss to load some code like you have done onto the FF board and then flash back with software, just a thought as some of use dont have KK boards ??
Sure, that's certainly possible

but you'll have to ask someone who has a compiler for STM32 - which I don't
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadframes View Post
Is it not poss to load some code like you have done onto the FF board and then flash back with software, just a thought as some of use dont have KK boards ??
lol.
yea blueboard will work, it still runs 'original' kk firmware.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
penichard78
france near paris
Joined Jun 2010
192 Posts
open firmware or very close!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
lol.

I everybody

first, thanks Timecop and all of them fou your all the problems you solved!
whats about the code of these cards (free flight or rabbit)
open source code C,C++,(gnu) or very propriatary like wookong (incidentally it flies extremely well but it is hyper closed)
an example for the wookong, return failsafe, it rises from 20 meters before returning to RTH, for example, I want remove the rise of 20 m which is expensive in time (and volt!) and I can not do that because I have no
hands on the soft!
does our Chinese friends using codes as multiwii, this would explain the speed at which they build these new cards!
have all good flight!
penichard78 is offline Find More Posts by penichard78
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
FreeFlight code is compiled with ARM Developer Suite (probably pirated keil/realview compiler as its very common in China).
Of course, source code is not available. From looking around I would guess some portions of it were taken from http://sourceforge.net/p/opensourcepilot/ but I don't have immediate proof. It might be something custom as well, the flight and INS code is not very complex. Recent additions added 'Stick PID' and that seems like something that was available in Mikrokopter firmware. Some of the code could be from there.

On the other hand, the other recent Chinese FC (Rabbit FC) does use MultiWii code (which they also don't make available) and is built with GCC (unknown version).

Both are currently using < 64kbyte of flash, and do not use RTOS.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
734 Posts
Quote:
lol.
Thanks for clearing that one up
Quadframes is offline Find More Posts by Quadframes
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Sure, that's certainly possible

but you'll have to ask someone who has a compiler for STM32 - which I don't
Thanks Mike,

Anyone willing to try this one out??
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I could do it but I don't see the advantage - can't people just use a $5 servo tester from HK?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
+1 for that TC, your time on porting something open will be better than to waste it for calibration that can be done by setting the endpoints of a TX or using a simple servo tester.
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,517 Posts
As i said earlier..., unless we make it <=1µSec resolution, and all other kind of nice to have RC pwm stuff, so we can "recycle" those KK boards = PWM toolbox

manu

Quote:
Just write your own.
Sample pot ADC, scale to 1000..2000us, output PWM.
Quote:
I could do it but I don't see the advantage - can't people just use a $5 servo tester from HK?
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
734 Posts
Quote:
lol.
Hi I can confirm that this does work with the KK blueboard, works a treat many thanks for this Mike
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Just delivered !

Hi guy's ! I just receive and mount my Free Flight board !
It's flying well but it's very quiet, nice for FPV or beginers ! Maybe in the futur, we can adjust differents things in the software.. Maxi angle roll, pitch etc !
I'm happy to get it ! Some one try the altitude hold aditionnal card ?

Free Flight FF Auto Balance Controller / Vol Test pour FPV / Quadcopter (4 min 26 sec)
quentusthetroll is offline Find More Posts by quentusthetroll
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
titusville,fl
Joined Nov 2006
315 Posts
hello all, i am trying to set up the board, and in the pc set up tool, the manuals state that you should open the port, then slide all the sliders to the left and then save and close, but when i open and connect to the board, all the sliders go back to the middle and i cant move them, they move when i turn on the radio and move the sticks, so is that correct, shouldnt i be able to open conection with the board and be able to move the sliders with the mouse?
navihawk is online now Find More Posts by navihawk
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
yes me too ! It's normal ! You have to turn on your radio only ! Nothing to do with the mouse !
quentusthetroll is offline Find More Posts by quentusthetroll
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:40 PM
titusville,fl
Joined Nov 2006
315 Posts
so i use the radio to get all the sliders to the left, and hit save?
navihawk is online now Find More Posts by navihawk