HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton View Post
I have no throttle problem with v1.24.

FF outputs 1ms (not armed), 1.2ms (armed with minimun throttle) and 1.8ms (armed with maximum throttle).

Maybe you need to calibrate "RC cal" with PC
thanks
i did calibrate via RC cal several times.
you measured the 1.8ms at the motor ouput signal of the board?
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:38 PM
Boston
Joined Mar 2006
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
thanks
i did calibrate via RC cal several times.
you measured the 1.8ms at the motor ouput signal of the board?
Yes, I measured it at the board with PC interface program
eaton is offline Find More Posts by eaton
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton View Post
Yes, I measured it at the board with PC interface program
When I checked V1.22, the motor output pulse never goes above ~1.65mS (HappySundays confirmed this).

Using the pc software to activate the motors, it did achieve a higher pulse of ~1.8mS IIRC.
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
When I checked V1.22, the motor output pulse never goes above ~1.65mS (HappySundays confirmed this).

Using the pc software to activate the motors, it did achieve a higher pulse of ~1.8mS IIRC.
Mike
so you have still the same problem as i have , barely lift at full throttle ?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Mike
so you have still the same problem as i have , barely lift at full throttle ?
Mine does lift off ok, but as I have mentioned earlier on this thread, the range of the signal pulses from the FF board is strangely curtailed.
It was quite noticable to me that I never got anywhere near full throttle, compared to say when flying a KK board (this was on the same quad).

This means that it is best if you can re-calibrate your ESC throttle range to match this controller.

Unfortunately, you cannot use the FF software to do this
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:26 AM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Hello everyone, I have been using the kk board with success and now I have one of these ff board on the way, so basically I am wondering, do you guys love it?
Any tips to avoid headaches?
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:35 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,031 Posts
Well today I took my FF quad, and two NeXtcopter equipped copters (a quad and a hexacopter) to the field for some open field flying. It was quite breezy but that made it much easier to compare.
While I loved the FF when hovering about at home, with its low rates and wafty nature, it totally sucked at the field! It was very difficult to control in the breeze partly, I'm sure, due to the very low gyro gain it seems to have.
I'll fire up that PID tuning program and see if I can up the rates while I'm at it.

Seriously not trying to blow my own horn but the NeXtcopters were all over it for stability, even with autolevel switched *off*
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:46 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,625 Posts
Quote:
This means that it is best if you can re-calibrate your ESC throttle range to match this controller.
Heh, and my controller acts even worse - it reverses throttle input. Combined together with weird throttle range going from controller:
  • calibrated each ESC with TX
  • reversed throttle channel, calibrated on PC
  • controller arms, but throttle does nothing up to ~30%, then suddenly gives ~80% throttle
So, no correct throttle management at all. I haven't lifted my quad at all, i think i just buy another controller - too many glitches to call it "PnP" ;-)
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:16 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Seriously not trying to blow my own horn but the NeXtcopters were all over it for stability, even with autolevel switched *off*
Haaa, simplicity is what works best usually.

manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,403 Posts
Quote:
up till now FF is unusable for me due to bad throtlle response, while i had no probs with KK+ board throttle
well good to hear, dan's mems module is ordered so within 2 months we can fly nextcopter right HS?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:59 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
up till now FF is unusable for me due to bad throtlle response, while i had no probs with KK+ board throttle
well good to hear, dan's mems module is ordered so within 2 months we can fly nextcopter right HS?
jaccies

I'm currently in the process of knocking up a simple program to allow you (& others) to use a KK board to re-calibrate ESC throttle range to something better suited for FF (and other) boards.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:15 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,031 Posts
Quote:
jaccies
I'm currently in the process of knocking up a simple program to allow you (& others) to use a KK board to re-calibrate ESC throttle range to something better suited for FF (and other) boards.
Cool. Much appreciated. Mine just about leaps off the ground at a nudge over idle lol. Just reprogrammed mine via the PID utility. Hope to try it tomorrow - weather permitting.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:22 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Cool. Much appreciated. Mine just about leaps off the ground at a nudge over idle lol. Just reprogrammed mine via the PID utility. Hope to try it tomorrow - weather permitting.
There's a definite 'step'.
When dis-armed or zero throttle, it idles @900uS, but then when you increase it a small amount, it suddenly jumps to 1200uS which can take you by suprise!

The KK board is an easier option for some than flashing Simons ESC firmware.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
Registered MisUser
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2009
721 Posts
Quote:
jaccies

Hey Mike that would be great as most of us have KK's lying about
whiteturbo is offline Find More Posts by whiteturbo
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,403 Posts
Quote:
jaccies

but will that solve my problem with FF board throttle , i did manual calibrated all ESC with my TX and RX......no result