Joined Feb 2007
14,463 Posts
Just having some quick fun with a verrrry simple cheapo FCB TC
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
so jim, what are you doing with this board. you're posting a lot in here, more than in uavp thread.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:55 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Alek,
Check your frame for neutral stability. Do this: Set your Tx trims to zero in yaw. Check that yaw trim is zero in the ZN setup. Use the PID setup application and set "1" in the yaw P. Do several one second barely hover "hops" and see if it always tries to yaw in one direction. If it does your motor tilt needs to be adjusted to negate this dynamic yaw and get to neutral stability. Sometimes it is only a hair of a change in tilt in the proper directions on the motor axis' that speed up to yaw in the weak yaw direction. It is a setup procedure that should be accomplished correctly and periodically checked especially after a "hard-landing" in order to get the best heading hold and yaw performance out of multicopters. Be sure to reset the yaw "P" value when you are finished. An indicator of bad mechanical dynamic neutral stability is weak yaw response in one direction and both motors on one axis being hotter than the other axis.
Cheers,
Jim
Thanks, I will definitely do that!
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,463 Posts
Alek,
OK good. After that the only difference is that you have FF v1.23. I use FF v1.22. I have not seen anyone else post yet that they have flown FF v1.23, so if there is still a yaw issue for you then we should try to load a different firmware.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Thanks, I will definitely do that!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Alek,
OK good. After that the only difference is that you have FF v1.23. I use FF v1.22. I have not seen anyone else post yet that they have flown FF v1.23, so if there is still a yaw issue for you then we should try to load a different firmware.
Cheers,
Jim
Why you think I have 1.23? I think I see 1.22 in PC app when connected.

Anyway, you were most probably right. The plywood was a bit twisted and motors are not perfectly straight. It is not bad but, as you said, "it is only a hair of a change in tilt". So I'll play with it and I believe it will work when I fix this.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,463 Posts
Alek,
In your video I thought I saw v1.23 at the bottom? No?
OK. Anyway yes even metal and CF square arms or round arm mounts need to be checked especially after a hard landing
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Why you think I have 1.23? I think I see 1.22 in PC app when connected.

Anyway, you were most probably right. The plywood was a bit twisted and motors are not perfectly straight. It is not bad but, as you said, "it is only a hair of a change in tilt". So I'll play with it and I believe it will work when I fix this.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Flying Like Evil
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Garons
Joined Oct 2010
150 Posts
Quote:

Anyone flying 1000 kv or less with this board?
My Diablo has KEDA 1088KV build in, and it works fine
C team MOD is offline Find More Posts by C team MOD
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Alek,
In your video I thought I saw v1.23 at the bottom? No?
OK. Anyway yes even metal and CF square arms or round arm mounts need to be checked especially after a hard landing
Cheers,
Jim
Yes, I will do that regularly. I was used to fly KK boards which are not that sensitive, I once flew with broken arm and I just noticed it flies a little different when I landed I found out one arm was broken.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
25 Posts
I just tested my board indoor i think my version 1.11
Fly's good X configuration 750KV motors APC 11X4.7 SF
The 1.0.5 client looked like it works but didn't save the configuration .
The 1.0.7 client works and saves every thing ok.

I am not sure that the PID programs posted here are working because they didn't read the current setting so i didn't change anything.

My frame is very unbalanced the gopro is installed in a very farward position and it looks like this bord handales it very good.
igalr is offline Find More Posts by igalr
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Try measuring max PWM pulse length from FF board, and then compare this with what your Rx outputs.
Mike, I just measured the PWM outputs of both RX and the FF board.

At 100% throws on the TX, my RX outputs 1.098 ms to 1.896 ms for the throttle channel. That's fairly normal.

At rest the FF outputs exactly 900 us pulses even if disarmed.
If armed, as soon as the throttle is advanced, it snaps to 1.212 ms and then gives a linear increase based on throttle input up to 1.654 ms.

So, as I calibrated my ESCs to my RX, the 1.212 ms pulse is seen as about 14% throttle as best I can calculate.
It doesn't sound like much but it's a lot higher an idle than you'd think reasonable
Also, you can see that I'd never get full throttle either. This is a bit of a blessing as the FF board has effectively reduced my throttle range to 55% of my actual TX's output.
This makes it much easier to hover but I can see that others might have issue with their throttle being knobbled

Incidentally, I noticed in a simple "hold it above your head" test, the gyro gains (P-term) were very low, well certainly *vastly* less responsive than I have been using on NeXtcopter, but it flies beautifully. I had always assumed that as long as there were no oscillation, as high a P-term as possible was the go. I now think differently.

No SI units were abused during the production of this post.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Mike, I just measured the PWM outputs of both RX and the FF board.

At 100% throws on the TX, my RX outputs 1.098 ms to 1.896 ms for the throttle channel. That's fairly normal.

At rest the FF outputs exactly 900 us pulses even if disarmed.
If armed, as soon as the throttle is advanced, it snaps to 1.212 ms and then gives a linear increase based on throttle input up to 1.654 ms.

So, as I calibrated my ESCs to my RX, the 1.212 ms pulse is seen as about 14% throttle as best I can calculate.
It doesn't sound like much but it's a lot higher an idle than you'd think reasonable
Also, you can see that I'd never get full throttle either. This is a bit of a blessing as the FF board has effectively reduced my throttle range to 55% of my actual TX's output.
This makes it much easier to hover but I can see that others might have issue with their throttle being knobbled

Incidentally, I noticed in a simple "hold it above your head" test, the gyro gains (P-term) were very low, well certainly *vastly* less responsive than I have been using on NeXtcopter, but it flies beautifully. I had always assumed that as long as there were no oscillation, as high a P-term as possible was the go. I now think differently.

No SI units were abused during the production of this post.
HS

yes, thats pretty much what I found, so only effective throttle range of 1212 -> 1654 = 442uS
Normal Collective range is ~800uS

When they have x number of 16bit timers at their disposal seems v.strange descision
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:58 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,253 Posts
well I just ordered one. how do you guys like this controller. and will it work for Y6 if not that is ok and anything I should know about with the setup and firware?
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
well I just ordered one. how do you guys like this controller. and will it work for Y6 if not that is ok and anything I should know about with the setup and firware?
No Y6 support yet. Just read everything on the first post, study the manual and you will be fine
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:20 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,987 Posts
Quote:
well I just ordered one. how do you guys like this controller.
the jury's still out..
some have had success, others well.. havn't...

Quote:
and will it work for Y6 if not that is ok
strictly QUADs

Quote:
anything I should know about with the setup and firmware?
quirky!

The 'manual' on the GLB website is not super great - still shows wrong board orientation for QUAD+ config
According to the manual, the 'RC Calibration' button is explained as:
RC Calibration: Calibration Procedure Orders

But then you get what you pay for !
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:23 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,253 Posts
True. will be putting it on a spider quad , so hopefully it will be ok. will read the manual

thanks guys,
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,253 Posts
which firmware should I use.