Registered MisUser
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2009
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Thanks. And for us non metric folks:

1.96850 x 1.96850 1.77165 between holes
I used to be a carpenter and went through the imperial to metric changeover. The above is a very good example of when metric measurements are better as its far easier to measure and mark 45mm than 1.96850 inches. Conversely its easier to measure 6 ft 6 inchs(door height) than 1.982mtrs(1982mm) so you get into the habit (if you dont have drawings) of using whichever is more convenient and you dont bother trying to convert one to the other. Of course if your drawings are in metric you use only metric(no point in converting it) and if your drawing are in imperial then you only measure in imperial. Just to be awkward though, plasterboard used to be in imperial length and metric width, how mad is that?

sorry about going off thread

Ray
whiteturbo is offline Find More Posts by whiteturbo
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Alek,
And there is the reason for your problem It was wrong in one of the manuals posted but this graphic is correct:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=414

@Chris
Please note this in your first post. Thanks
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Ok, I'll change that and try later. I am not using connectors but solder wires so it will take me a while but it will be today yet. Thanks a lot.

BTW. all readings in PC are correct. When I move the quad it reads angles correctly. All 3 axis.

UPDATE: the wording in manual was wrong but arrows correct, so my motors spin in correct directions, i.e. front, rear CW and side motors CCW. So, the problem is still there. Yaw has no effect and pitch and roll look like they work in one direction but not in other, or only very little.
alek3d is online now Find More Posts by alek3d
Last edited by alek3d; Jan 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,229 Posts
This is my quad, it is not finished yet but I wanted to see if/how it flies. Now I am a bit disappointed because most of people were happy with the board and mine works strange way.

You can see in the image front of the quad is where the foam is and the prop is CW.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:22 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Good onya, bruv!
Now show us where the hammer hangs (German say) and get the beast airborne quickly.

Think of your reputation as the multirotor 101 thread starter!
your a naughty boy! taunting me like that lol dont you know these things take time? dont worry bruv it will be up in teh air soon i been going over my builds and getting them all ready for multiple FC use so there may even be a whole stack of FC testing soon with quads of various sizes and kv motors
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Flying Like Evil
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Garons
Joined Oct 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
This is my quad, it is not finished yet but I wanted to see if/how it flies. Now I am a bit disappointed because most of people were happy with the board and mine works strange way.

You can see in the image front of the quad is where the foam is and the prop is CW.
Are you flying in + mode?? Have you checked in Software tool that + mode is setup?
C team MOD is offline Find More Posts by C team MOD
Last edited by C team MOD; Jan 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteturbo View Post
Nice one bro 12 days is good, i think i ordered mine on the 1st so im expecting mine soon but i skipped GLB(they make snails look fast) and went wit ebay

that's exactly what i thought bruv but it would appear the Chinese man who rows the slow boat has upgraded his ores to brushless motors and lipo tech too close to Chinese new year to order again right now but in a few weeks i might have to order some more stuff

my package came in a bubble wrap jiffy inside that a card board box with my PTZ mount, also in the box my FF in a static bag programmer also in static bag all bagged up in another bag with the leads and stuff nicely packed made me think customs must of got to Bruces box (the xjet review?) and played with the contents for a while coz mine looked untouched

Can you keep us posted to your progress, because i know that you aint a div, and so are likely going to go through any obstacles/problems that i will meet, so i value your experience more than a normal punter

no problem im looking for easy to set up so wont be upgrading this board (not sure im smart enough to fix it if i cock up lol) so may get a second board to try the upgrades on if i like how this board flies

By the way did you get a Rabbit? cuz im expecting one, oh about end of month (GLB willing)

Ray
nope not yet the picture of the scratched out chip id just put me off so till a few other people fly it and say how wonderful it is i wont be shelling out on one that said if its "all that and a bag of chips" (UK saying Kinderkram i WILL get one possibly the version with the care free mode even though im not hot on the idea of care free mode (its taken 5yrs of heli flying to get cozy with controls and i dont fancy changing that right now) but will get it as theres also not much point in collecting 1 type of FC across various platforms
Last edited by n3m1s1s; Jan 13, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:

ya boards facing the wrong way you got it pointed at arm one it should be 45deg right i think?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C team MOD View Post
Are you flying in + mode?? Have you checked in Software tool that + mode is setup?
Of course. This is not my first quad and the setup does not seem very difficult. All seem to be working but when I try to control it the control authority is weak or none for Yaw.

I've recorded a short video to show that all seem to be ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYVTuaLsIho

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m1s1s View Post
ya boards facing the wrong way you got it pointed at arm one it should be 45deg right i think?
It is + config so the front pointing at motor #1. Anyway, it's got nothing to do with weak control authority.
Last edited by alek3d; Jan 12, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,515 Posts
Alek,
Hmmm...Thanks for video. All looks good there. When you put in just a bit of throttle and then move the yaw stick or the left or right are the motors on one axis speeding up and the other slowing down depending on your yaw stick left/right movements? I see you have FF v1.23 loaded. I am still using v1.22. I wonder if they changed the motor rotations. What you are experiencing is what happens when the motors/props are turning in the opposite directions that the PID's were setup for. In that case you would get a level, but no yaw control because the yaw is doing opposite of what it needs to do.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Of course. This is not my first quad and the setup does not seem very difficult. All seem to be working but when I try to control it the control authority is weak or none for Yaw.

I've recorded a short video to show that all seem to be ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk60z...ature=youtu.be

It is + config so the front pointing at motor #1. Anyway, it's got nothing to do with weak control authority.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 12, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Boston
Joined Mar 2006
168 Posts
How to adjust PID

Hi,

I had a maiden flight yesterday, and it worked fine.
Now I want to optimaze PID, but there is no procedure on the manual.

Could someone explain how to?

Thanks
Eaton
eaton is offline Find More Posts by eaton
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,229 Posts
Without props I can hear little change in how the motors sound but hard to tell which ones speed up and slow down.... with props when I hold it in my hand it has some reactions but I feel nothing when applying yaw.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,229 Posts
I just did some hand tests and it looks like when throt is higher there is actually stronger control authority. These motors are quite strong so maybe I am in low throttle and that is why the control does not do so well. I limited thorttle end point from 120% to 70% and will try to go outside to test if it helps. Can it be that?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,515 Posts
Alek,
Well I thought the yaw issue was while you flew? OK so you are getting yaw response on the motors. Carefully do a hand test while you have just about hover throttle input. Yaw the model by hand. Does it strongly resist this?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
I just did some hand tests and it looks like when throt is higher there is actually stronger control authority. These motors are quite strong so maybe I am in low throttle and that is why the control does not do so well. I limited thorttle end point from 120% to 70% and will try to go outside to test if it helps. Can it be that?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,229 Posts
Ok, some more test done. I went out and did some flying after I limited throttle travel from 120% to 70%. Then I had to apply negative expo (so reaction is much steeper) on aileron -40, elevator -40 and rudder -80. Then I could control it.

It looks like I have to fight the PID control very much in order to control it. Do you know what size are default PID optimized for? My quad is 58 cm span, so it is bigger one. Maybe I need to tune up PID so it flies better. What do you think?
Last edited by alek3d; Jan 12, 2012 at 02:32 PM.