HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
TSadly, many ESC's already run two Vregs in parallel on the ESC itself.
precisely. so it's a moot point taking them out anyway.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:00 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,207 Posts
Quote:
I will pull all but one 5v ESC line, or all of them and use a separate BEC...
Thanks for your opinion! But, why would you leave one or use separate BEC when the board has direct power supply from the battery? Or is it just battery monitor, not power supply of the board?

BTW, mine arrived today, ordered on Dec 22.
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:00 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
FF data sheets 101

Hi HS,
The FF does use an ADXL345B accelerometer. It uses Ivensense MPU-3050 gyros and of course the STM32 F103C8T6 processor.
Data sheets attached.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
If you read one of my first posts after receiving my board you can see that I frowned on their attempts to measure a physical angle with just a gyro. It just can't reliably be done with this level of hardware, and it definitely won't return to zero when you put it back in the same place.
I agree with Mike in that you'd have to be super-sure your FF board is completely still for the whole 30+ seconds that the IMU calibration takes.

@apejovic. You say your quad was moving "right" but if Yaw was the problem it would be turning on the spot. Is this the case?
If you still get an output for Yaw angle on the screen when you turn it left and right, then your Yaw gyro is working fine.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Apr 12, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
Alek,
Excellent question. This board does regulate 12v to 5v and 3.3v on its own, so I need to check to see if the ESCs do anything more than power servos. Checking the data sheet now...

EDIT: The data sheet shows the 12v is regulated down to 3.3v and 5v supplies for the board. Unfortunately the "nice clean" 5v is also tied to the 5v servo connector pins I see no point in that at all. So I will be removing the 5v ESC power lines

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Thanks for your opinion! But, why would you leave one or use separate BEC when the board has direct power supply from the battery? Or is it just battery monitor, not power supply of the board?

BTW, mine arrived today, ordered on Dec 22.
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 10, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
TC,
Wel...Definitely not a moot point if you make a best practice decision and choose not to use the ESC BEC at all due to the inadequacy of the design for multicopter flight controller use
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
precisely. so it's a moot point taking them out anyway.
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 10, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Alek,
Excellent question. This board does regulate 12v to 5v and 3.3v on its own, so I need to check to see if the ESCs do anything more than power servos. Checking the data sheet now...

EDIT: The data sheet shows the 12v is regulated down to 3.3v and 5v supplies for the board. Unfortunately the "nice clean" 5v is also tied to the 5v servo connector pins I see no point in that at all. So I will be removing the 5v ESC power lines

Cheers,
Jim
Will you remove all of them? No BEC then, I suppose...
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:37 AM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
TC,
Wel...Definitely not a moot point if you make a best practice decision and choose not to use the ESC BEC at all due to the inadequacy of the design for multicopter flight controller use
Cheers,
Jim
Trying to fix my yaw readings problem In one of my tests I removed all ESC bec wires, and YES the FF still feeds 5v to my receiver.
apejovic is online now Find More Posts by apejovic
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:54 AM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
294 Posts
Back to my yaw readings problems.

This morning tested again, this time with fw 1.11. This is the video where you can see how gyro reading are innacurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW-xEoeAsuo

After updating to 1.22c, and doing many IMU calibrations problem seemed solved.

Tried to fly the quad and.... all controls worked well apart from rudder left. Trying to do a right rudder was ok but going left there was no movement at all.

Changed servo cable, done some stick calibrations, checcked trims and expos were all at 0 but had no success.

The strange thing is that without left rudder it would not be possible to arm the board, but it arms just fine.

Gents: any suggestiones?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
Back to my yaw readings problems.

This morning tested again, this time with fw 1.11. This is the video where you can see how gyro reading are innacurate:
At 0:16 in the video, was the sudden bump in the line due to you moving the board ?

Also, are you using the old version of ZNS1002 like in your video, or have you tried the newer version ?
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
At 0:16 in the video, was the sudden bump in the line due to you moving the board ?

Also, are you using the old version of ZNS1002 like in your video, or have you tried the newer version ?
At 0:16 I started ZNS, reading started at 16 without moving the board, sometimes it started at 0, but main problem was that having the board completely still yaw readings always kept increasing.

Maybe I didnīt express myself properly in my previous post. After updating to 1.22c again and using latest ZNS1007 to do the IMU calibration yaw readings are correct. They keep stable, I donīt get the custom readings (and incremental) as I did with fw 1.22 first time I have updated, or as shown in the video with 1.11.

Now problem is I have no rudder control on the left.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
AP,
In the new ZN setup application, where are your stick sliders? In your posted video they look to be way off, i.e. pitch full up etc. After a proper Tx stick calibration with zeros values in your expos, regular trim and sub trim and no mixing in any channel(use ACRO if you are not sure of this) then the sliders should be:
--throttle should be 0 to (-10)
--pitch should be 0
--roll should be 0
--yaw should be 0

The manual says to set the ch5 high for the stick calibration. There is a button on the ZN application too. I've tried both and they "seem" to give full authority no matter which Tx Stick calibration method I use.

Does your ZN graphic show the yaw to be full deflection left and right?

When you do the IMU calibration, the model should be perfectly level and absolutely no movement after clicking on the IMU calibration button. After it gives you the message that says the IMU has been calibrated and to re-power the FF. Close the port and re-open it after repowering the FF. The values should then stay near 0.0xxxxx with the X's fluctuating with he model at rest. After tilting in pitch and roll they should aging go back to close to 0.xxxxx when level. The yaw values will change -/+ if the heading has changed with no yaw stick movement after you moved the model. Bump the yaw stick to see it re-set it to close to zeros again.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
At 0:16 I started ZNS, reading started at 16 without moving the board, sometimes it started at 0, but main problem was that having the board completely still yaw readings always kept increasing.

Maybe I didnīt express myself properly in my previous post. After updating to 1.22c again and using latest ZNS1007 to do the IMU calibration yaw readings are correct. They keep stable, I donīt get the custom readings (and incremental) as I did with fw 1.22 first time I have updated, or as shown in the video with 1.11.

Now problem is I have no rudder control on the left.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
Alek,
Yes I will remove all of the ESC 5v lines for this board. There is no need for the ESC BEC 5v power on this one. It has a nicely filtered built-in power supply for the FCB and Rx, so no BEC is necessary either.

The only change one would have to make is to separately power your camera servos if used, which on a multicopter is a best practice too
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Will you remove all of them? No BEC then, I suppose...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Mar 2007
197 Posts
Guys probably I'm stupid but still don't know what firmware version my board is running?
How I can check it?
willi_m is offline Find More Posts by willi_m
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willi_m View Post
Guys probably I'm stupid but still don't know what firmware version my board is running?
How I can check it?
Start the pc program, connect to the board, and it should in the status bar at the bottom of the panel.
Although mine appears to show the version even *before* it has connected....
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Last edited by Mike Barton; Jan 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
Mike,
Yep. I just loaded the ZN app on another PC and it said v1.22 on the bottom lower left of the window even before I hooked up the FF. A hex file compare from my FF with the posted V1.22 looks to be different, so now I'm not sure what version I have at this point. Hyperteminal gave no boot up clues either. Any ideas Gents?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Start the pc program, connect to the board, and it should in the status bar at the bottom of the panel.
Although mine appears to show the version even *before* before it has connected....