HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Sep 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Motor #1 starts at top left but the rest do not proceed in a sequential order clockwise around the quad. If you did it that way then the motors/props are incorrect.

Please refer to the manuals I created which are linked on the first post of this thread. For ease, I have attached it as well.

The first manual covers the earlier FF boards, while the second the later FF C10 boards. The orientation of the board itself is different from one version to another but the orientation of the motors and props is the same.
Feel like a jackass... Though I had checked multiple times against the manual. Now opened the ones you linked, corrected plugs. Props 2 and 3 were in the wrong places. Tomorrow to test.

Thank you so very much for your patience and assistance.
Naamis is online now Find More Posts by Naamis
Last edited by Naamis; Jan 05, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: works!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naamis View Post
Feel like a jackass... Though I had checked multiple times against the manual. Now opened the ones you linked, corrected plugs. Props 2 and 3 were in the wrong places. Tomorrow to test.

Glad i could help. Good luck!
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:20 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Actually you seem to have a bit of patience yourself, quite often we hear guys throw in the towel after just a couple of hours and say they are going to ditch the flight board...
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:38 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
does anyone know the differences between FF1.2 and FF1.3?
(this might sound a bit paranoid)
I'm building an all black quad...it's easy to find black motor/frame/esc/battery(covered).. but the FF board I have is the white one.. thinking about getting a black one.. so just wondering what might be the differences
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Actually you seem to have a bit of patience yourself, quite often we hear guys throw in the towel after just a couple of hours and say they are going to ditch the flight board...
Thank you for you kind words. In my world, one needs to go through all options before saying "bye bye" to an investment. And in this case it was my own fault...

Just came back from a test flight. The Gaui 500X chassis seems to be lighter which translates to a 20-25% longer flight time. Using 2200mAh Turnigy battery that has seen better days. Also, due to the weather tested my Turnigy transmitter glove, the one that looks like you are wearing your underwear on your arms. The windows steamed up and my hands are sweating.

Anyhoo, the Quad flew quite well. Took some time to get adjusted again and a bit of a gusty breeze. The are I was flying in was a bit too small, so couldn't really try it out, but enough anyway.

I wonder if the rumoured GPS board will ever be made available.... Though with the limited flight times, doubtful that anyone would ever dare to use it. Any experiences on using a 4s on this? More power and longer flight times? Can the board actually handle 4s current? In my eyes, does not make sense to have a separate batt. for the board as then the buzzer wouldn't warn you in time.

Never actually tried to drain the battery, what happens if you ignore the buzzer? Is it a hard cut-off ensuing in a crash or gradual loss of power?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:17 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,745 Posts
Quote:

Never actually tried to drain the battery, what happens if you ignore the buzzer? Is it a hard cut-off ensuing in a crash or gradual loss of power?
that depends ,if you did not set your esc`s to nixx ,then yes low voltage cutoff could kick in and it could drop like a rock .
if you did set your esc`s to nixx and also set them to slow cut off then you can fly a little longer without worry of dropping out the sky .it will lose power though ,it will be evident the lipo is low .
but running them too low is not a good idea ,thats how they puff up and they lose life .
when the buzzer goes off just try to bring it in shortly .
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:35 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
i had calibrated my ESC/throttle using the TX method. quad flew ok but i'm getting a bit of drifting. eg. if i make any movement and center stick it would keep drifting in that direction. what changes can i make to make it stop this, if at all?

i decided to try calibrating ESC using the ZN method instead to see if it makes it any more stable. except now the quad takes off at only like 15% throttle compared to 50%~ before i calibrated using ZN. so i guess i'll be going back to manual esc calibration..

any tips for improving drifting after centering the sticks?
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Last edited by scub; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
16 Posts
nada
Last edited by Naamis; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy0933 View Post
does anyone know the differences between FF1.2 and FF1.3?
(this might sound a bit paranoid)
I'm building an all black quad...it's easy to find black motor/frame/esc/battery(covered).. but the FF board I have is the white one.. thinking about getting a black one.. so just wondering what might be the differences
No difference except for the firmware. Save yourself the $$ and just cover the controller with a black cover of some type. It should be covered anyways for protection.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
QuaDreko pilot :)
Slovenia, Kamnik
Joined Oct 2010
115 Posts
I have big problem with FF, version 1.2.
As soon as I arm it, it goes into sky, so motors are rotating too fast.

I already calibrated motors, first with ZNS, did not work, and then again one by one, directly connected to receiver. Also no change.

Do anyone have an idea, what else could I do?
Drekavac is offline Find More Posts by Drekavac
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,745 Posts
calibrate the esc`s right on the quad .
take off the props(for safety)
turn on your transmitter
run throttle all the way up
plug in lipo on quad
wait for the esc`s to beep
run throttle all the way down
wait for the beep
your done.......now put your props on and give it a go .i never had any luck using the zns app to calibrate esc`s or my radio .

do your radio calibration thru the board too. i forget the procedure off hand(i no longer have a free flight)but it worked much better for me not doing it on the zns app.

good luck .

ps- sounds like you need to calibrate your radio too.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:56 PM
QuaDreko pilot :)
Slovenia, Kamnik
Joined Oct 2010
115 Posts
Thanks Heli, I did that before, and it was the same.
I sure can try it again. ESC's are RedBricks 20A, maybe this is the problem?

I calibrated TX in ZNS, what TX calibration did you mean?
Drekavac is offline Find More Posts by Drekavac
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,745 Posts
this one

RC CALIBRATION USING CHANNEL 5 ON YOUR TRANSMITTER:
1. Power ON your transmitter
2. Do not connect the USB Boot Loader to the Free Flight Controller
3. Connect your receiver to the Free Flight Controller
4. Ensure that the channel 5 header on the Free Flight Controller is connected to the channel on the receiver that will be used to start/stop the calibration process.
5. Power ON the Free Flight controller
6. The Free Flight Controllerís BUE led turns ON
7. The Free Flight Controllerís buzzer BEEPS once
8. The Free Flight Controllerís RED led turns ON and BLINKS three times
9. The Free Flight Controllerís RED led turns OFF
10. Power ON your receiver if connected via an ESC and a separate LIPO
11. Move your transmitterís throttle stick to its maximum position
12. Activate channel 5 on the transmitter
13. The Free Flight Controllerís GREEN led turns ON
14. Move your transmitter sticks to their minimum and maximum positions in all directions for a few seconds
15. Move your throttle stick back to its maximum position and center the other stick
16. Move all channel switches and POTS through their ranges
17. De-activate channel 5 on the transmitter
18. The Free Flight Controllerís GREEN led turns OFF
19. Power OFF the Free Flight Controller

this always worked better for me than using the upper machine software.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
Just updated my Turnigy 9X to Open9X and had to re-do the rc calibration in ZNS. Both Aileron and Elevon channels were reversed. I hate when that happens!!!! :-)
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
16 Posts
Just tried the combination of 4s battery and light frame quad. Did not fare too well... The 4s packs enough punch on the prop / motor combo, that minimum throttle = flight right away and any less throttle = shut off and crash. Did a few bounces and now the quad needs some repair. Bummer.

Anyhoo, seemed to work ok. Just need to figure out if I can through fiddling around with the throttle ranges / ESC setup get the start to be a bit smoother...