HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
H,
Multicopter flight controllers can appear to look fine after a hard crash, but if the board was flexed even a tiny bit it, or sustained a high G shock it could compromise the solder under the MEMs devices. For those reasons to get higher flight controller survivability, the FCBs need to be protected by a roll cage and not secured directly to the arm points on a frame that can flex in a crash.

To do further troubleshooting, look at the sensor traces and blow hot or cold air and press on the gyros/accelerometer to see if the traces go abnormal.
Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim,

This would be a reasonable way to check things out if it were happening to just one of my FF/C10 boards...however, all 4 my FF/C10 boards seem to do the same thing, they fly fine for a few mins and then all slowly drift away (forward/left) from a normal level flight. I can trim them back for a while until I run out of trim adjustment. This is what made me think it was either my radio or some other common item. I then changed radios, no change, I then changed aircraft, no change..! Different ESC's, different motors, heck I even resorted to different batteries.....no change, the only common element is the FC itself.

I must admit though, as the ambient temps here have risen slightly, average of ~24c now, the issue isn't as bad, hence my question re: the temperature/sensor drifting. As mentioned, my, MultiWii SE's, Rabbit's, KK 2.0 and even my new HK "mega-red board" are not affected by this issue....It's got me beat..! I'm guessing it may be a voltage regulator heat/resistance issue..?? Any thoughts.

Cheers,
Smithy.
knobby1 is offline Find More Posts by knobby1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:04 PM
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Mar 2010
53 Posts
Hello, I have built a few quads using the FF STM32 MWC10 board and they fly great.
They use the 1.3 firmware that they come with loaded but I have no idea what it is called other than the version.
I was wondering if you know and can tell me. I am also wondering if anyone has used other firmware successfully.
I fly these in the basic mode / not 3D.
You may know the setup instructions that come with these from sellers does not work as documented.
If you need any help let me know.
I live in the U.S. and am happy to get on the phone and talk about these.
Thanks in advance, Michael
mglenn57 is offline Find More Posts by mglenn57
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:12 PM
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Mar 2010
53 Posts
FF/MWC10 temperature sensative

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
Hi Jim,

This would be a reasonable way to check things out if it were happening to just one of my FF/C10 boards...however, all 4 my FF/C10 boards seem to do the same thing, they fly fine for a few minutes and then all slowly drift away (forward/left) from a normal level flight. I can trim them back for a while until I run out of trim adjustment. This is what made me think it was either my radio or some other common item. I then changed radios, no change, I then changed aircraft, no change..! Different ESC's, different motors, heck I even resorted to different batteries.....no change, the only common element is the FC itself.

I must admit though, as the ambient temps here have risen slightly, average of ~24c now, the issue isn't as bad, hence my question re: the temperature/sensor drifting. As mentioned, my, MultiWii SE's, Rabbit's, KK 2.0 and even my new HK "mega-red board" are not affected by this issue....It's got me beat..! I'm guessing it may be a voltage regulator heat/resistance issue..?? Any thoughts.

Cheers,
Smithy.
I have several of these boards that all work great.
I have experienced the problem with drift when I take the quad from a warm indoor environment and take it outdoors where it is cooler.
Try taking it out, flying it until the drift starts "the drift usually takes a minute or two to start",. When it starts to drift land it and reset the transmitter and receiver and see if the drift isn't gone. This works for me and I believe that the FF C10 board simply needs to adjust to different temperatures.
A friend of mine has noticed the same issue and has no problem if he lets his quad set outdoors for a few minutes in the flying temperature before he flies it.

Try both of these and I believe you will be happy.
Last edited by mglenn57; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: adding information
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:17 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
To do further troubleshooting, look at the sensor traces and blow hot or cold air and press on the gyros/accelerometer to see if the traces go abnormal.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
I agree with Jim, somebody with temperature related drift issues really should try the heat gun/freezer spray tests he suggests. If we can find out which sensor or sensors is effected we could advise a solution to help you out. It may even be that it's a bad batch of regulators for the MCU or sensor power supply, or some regulator filter caps with poor ESR at low temps...
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:16 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,911 Posts
i started a thread for free flight cold weather drift issues so we could keep the info all in one place and see who is having what problems . its right here if you guys who are having issues want to post in it .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754087
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:14 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
mine does have strange drift issues to.. but it has nothing to with cold for mine.
it just happens each now and then.. today it was a great warm day and it acted the same as last week when it was pretty cold..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,911 Posts
got the kk2.0 in and loaded up .gonna take it out tuesday morning and see how it responds in the cold vrs the FF board .i will report back .
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:06 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Hello
I made a video FPV tests for vibration, but still not good for vibration.
The Quad is with FF card C10
The Cam Wing Room 2 HobbyKing
Test_Vibration_FPV (2 min 51 sec)
voloelettrico is offline Find More Posts by voloelettrico
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,911 Posts
happy to report no cold weather issues with the kk2.0 .from 70 degree house to 50 degree outside temps with no issues .
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Mar 2010
53 Posts
Your heat gun just might cause new problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
I agree with Jim, somebody with temperature related drift issues really should try the heat gun/freezer spray tests he suggests. If we can find out which sensor or sensors is effected we could advise a solution to help you out. It may even be that it's a bad batch of regulators for the MCU or sensor power supply, or some regulator filter caps with poor ESR at low temps...
Your heat gun just might fix a problem or cause a new one.
You can't always see a marginal solder connection.
If you have the tools re-flow the solder.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voloelettrico View Post
Hello
I made a video FPV tests for vibration, but still not good for vibration.
The Quad is with FF card C10
The Cam Wing Room 2 HobbyKing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUDDb7iaw8I&feature=plcp
Those little CMOS cameras are easily affected by vibration. You can try mass loading it by strapping it tightly to the main battery or using the keychain camera mount from this video. I have used the mount on another quad and it worked well. Of course, make sure your motors and props are balanced. On the propellers, balance both the hub and the blades.

Anti-vibration camera mount for image stabilization - a "how to" guide (8 min 50 sec)
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:28 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Those little CMOS cameras are easily affected by vibration. You can try mass loading it by strapping it tightly to the main battery or using the keychain camera mount from this video. I have used the mount on another quad and it worked well. Of course, make sure your motors and props are balanced. On the propellers, balance both the hub and the blades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm3iZEgPrBE
Hello rcjose
Thanks for the video information.
I hope to resolve the problem vibration.
Engines, and propellers everything is OK
voloelettrico is offline Find More Posts by voloelettrico
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper1234 View Post
Discovery F4 is a bit older, to use with I2C MPU6050:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/160890688679
Discovery F4, but faster.

why not make it right, 10DOF + GPS

EUR 26,90 -> http://www.ebay.de/itm/280833652536
and,

-> http://www.goodluckbuy.com/crius-cn-...-0-module.html
and,
-> http://www.watterott.com/de/STM32F4Discovery
and,
MULTIPILOT32 based on Arducopter.
-> http://code.google.com/p/multipilot32/downloads/list
and,
-> http://www.goodluckbuy.com/sd-card-m...o-arm-mcu.html

JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_
Last edited by JUERGEN_; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Stay safe east coast!

To all in the East Coast, stay safe! Keep those FF boards nice and dry at home.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:17 AM
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Mar 2010
53 Posts
Hello, I have the MWC10 board working fine and am using XP to run stick calibration and IMU.
I am trying to find a windows7 driver for the USB UART "comm device" that ships with the MWC10. I am running Windows 7 64 bit on my laptop and would like to use it to reset the IMU while at the flying field.
Is there another USB device that will work with Windows7?

The device that comes with the MWC10 driver installs but says it is an invalid com port when I try to connect ZNS 1.07.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Last edited by mglenn57; Oct 30, 2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: added data